Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terenure 5 Mile Sunday May 19th

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

adrian522 wrote: »
    At the very front yes, but you have a situation where someone runs a much faster time, maybe 1 minute faster finish 10 or 15 spots further down in the order.

So when you read in results in the paper and you see the position and the time then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It would just encourage me to barge my way to the front at the start line and that wouldn't really be a good situation.

It can be a little frustrating to run a faster time and see slower times finish further up the field but that's the way it works, you can't have order by finishing position for the top 10 and then chip times for the rest of the field. The more races you do the more you find yourself starting around the correct place and that somewhat sorts out this issue.

Personally speaking, the more races I've run, the less my finishing position counts and the more relevant the chip time is. I really don't care if I've finished 57th or 58th in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Personally speaking, the more races I've run, the less my finishing position counts and the more relevant the chip time is. I really don't care if I've finished 457th or 458th in a race.

FYP

blockic wrote: »
    FYP

That didn't take long - I should have added "in my age category" ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Results are up on the website now...

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Perpetual Coyote

blockic wrote: »
    FYP

Seeing I finished in 480 I would be quite happy with that FYP.

Agree with a previous poster about racing experience affecting ability to decipher starting position.

Will have a better idea where to start next time out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

LOL pronator got chicked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great race yesterday. All the heavies of the road racing scene were there so there was a good mix from front to back. I know a lot of people are afraid to run club races for whatever reasons, but I just think this race is the perfect setting to overcome that fear. Weather was amazing as well. My only gripe is that I tore off my number before the finishing line only to find my result still on the official results today??? Dont know how they managed that one......

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

LOL pronator got chicked :pac:

:D AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

In fairness she ran very well, I've no complaints:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

adrian522 wrote: »
    At the very front yes, but you have a situation where someone runs a much faster time, maybe 1 minute faster finish 10 or 15 spots further down in the order.

So when you read in results in the paper and you see the position and the time then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It would just encourage me to barge my way to the front at the start line and that wouldn't really be a good situation.

its a race, the results are listed in order that people crossed the finish line. Thats the rules of every race, probably in every sport, long before chips existed,

If you think you will finish in the top 20, you should be in the front at the start. If you think that you will finish in the top 100, you should start in the first 100.

BTW, I missed the race yesterday, but based on my time from last year, I would have been approx 513th

After that, if being 210th position, instead of 230th, matters to you, then start close to the front by all means, no-one else really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Pronator was saving himself for the WW relay this Saturday :D

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Great race yesterday. All the heavies of the road racing scene were there so there was a good mix from front to back. I know a lot of people are afraid to run club races for whatever reasons, but I just think this race is the perfect setting to overcome that fear. Weather was amazing as well. My only gripe is that I tore off my number before the finishing line only to find my result still on the official results today??? Dont know how they managed that one......

Meno ratted you out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

it was my first ever race. finished in 45.04 with no training. im going to enter this race every year from now on. but i want to enter lots more. when is the next race on around the kimmage/terenure area?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MarkY91 wrote: »
    it was my first ever race. finished in 45.04 with no training. im going to enter this race every year from now on. but i want to enter lots more. when is the next race on around the kimmage/terenure area?

Sportsworld 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The other primary race around that area is the Rathfarnham 5k at the end of September.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

huskerdu wrote: »
    its a race, the results are listed in order that people crossed the finish line. Thats the rules of every race, probably in every sport, long before chips existed,

If you think you will finish in the top 20, you should be in the front at the start. If you think that you will finish in the top 100, you should start in the first 100.

BTW, I missed the race yesterday, but based on my time from last year, I would have been approx 513th

After that, if being 210th position, instead of 230th, matters to you, then start close to the front by all means, no-one else really cares.

So why not put the gun time beside the position rather than the chip time given that's what the position refers to. It looks silly to have the position on the left (in correct order) and then on the right times that are all over the place.

I understand why they do it it just looks a bit ridiculous when you have times a bit all over the place on the results page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Meno ratted you out ;)

Really? (puts Hobnailed boots on)
    In fairness to him he probably thought he was doing me a favour.

Advertisement