Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heating or using the boost button

Options
  • 22-03-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

HI all

Im a first time renter and first time using storage heading and looking for some guidance.. im afraid of massive bills...the issue I have is that my husband and myself work all day and are only home late evenings and all day weekends and as much as I know about storage heating it heats up at night at the low traffic ( we are currently on 9.94 gw at night and 20.10 in the day , I don't see the point in putting the storage heating all over night to heat an empty apartment but we need some heating at night as its cold enough when we get home, the apartment is dry lined and keeps the heat well but still like a good bit of heat at night for drying clothes etc.. we have been using the boost on the side of the storage heating for about 1.5 each evening to heat up the apartment and there is a small heater in the hall way that leads to the bedroom what we leave on (we leave the time storage heater on this one as it is a small unit) .. my question is, is it cheaper to run it on the boost for 1-2 hours then run the storage heater over night and heat an empty apartment.
    im constantly trying to figure out what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Those boost buttons will absolutely crucify your electric bills.

If you want an alternative to the storage heater then Id recommend looking at a decent plug in oil filled radiator. Our electric bill more than halved when we switched to one from using the storage heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ada.kelly

Thanks for the reply DJIMI
    yea that is what everyone is tell me but the couple that lived there before me, who is a friend of mine said she only used the boost button every night and her bills were never high.. she is only level pay with Board Gas, both electric and heating and her bills were only €71 a month so im sooooooo confused...

Did you use your storage heating every day/night or just occasionally?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

We had it on every night from October to about February/March a couple of years ago and the highest bill we had was over €350. Since we stopped using the storage heater and switched to the oil filled radiator I think our biggest bill has been under €250. The radiators are great because you can switch them on for half an hour and they will stay warm for another half hour or so. They wouldnt provide as much heat as a storage heater, but we have it on beside us in the sitting room in the evening and it does us grand. We also have an electric blow heater built into the fireplace which we would use very occasionally if its very cold out, so your boost button on the storage heater might still be required the odd time, but it would be rare enough that we would need to resort to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ada.kelly

yea I see where your coming from... we had priced an oiled filled heater and they were over €100 and as we had just moved in we decided to give it a miss and just use the storage heating, I just hate the thoughts of heating an empty apartment when no one is there, will look at the oil fill heaters at the end of the month in the mean time I think i will just use the storage heating ( not the boost and set it and a middle in-put ( about 3) and out put of 1 in the day time until we come home and then use the rest of the heat in the evening , even if the isn't enough heating left in the heaters at least the apartment will be warm.. can you recommend the heater you have please

Advertisement