Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA connector issue

Options
  • 22-03-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Are these fixable does anyone know. I have to push cable on PC over at a certain angle to get it connect to the monitor. I was getting all sorts of annoying 'Out of Range' issues before this so wondering if its an issue with this or graphics card. Or maybe just time for a new PC.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

smacg wrote: »
    Are these fixable does anyone know. I have to push cable on PC over at a certain angle to get it connect to the monitor. I was getting all sorts of annoying 'Out of Range' issues before this so wondering if its an issue with this or graphics card. Or maybe just time for a new PC.

Have you tried another VGA Cable? It could be the cable is causing the issues

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

smacg wrote: »

I'd check this in the following order of price

1) Open up the PC and reseat the VGA card.
    Do you have a little screw holding the card in?
    Make sure it's secure, sometimes they become loose after a while.

2) Try another monitor / TV if you have one

3) Replace the VGA cable, €8.95 in Power City...
    Power City VGA Cable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look at the cable to make sure pins are straight and not pushed in, a needle nose pliers, patience and skill should sort them out, be careful as you only get one or two bends before they break

yes these things can be soldered , but odds are a second hand card / cable / monitor may be cheaper - depending on the vintage of your kit (it really helps when people give clues like make/model - it can turn a two page thread into "hey I used to have one of those and the fix is XYZ" )

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

thanks all. I'd already tried a different cable and monitor to no avail. When I pushed the VGA cable in and out sometimes it got rid of the Out of Range message, other times I had to reset resolution in safe mode adn sometimes that didnt even work. Its a Dell Vostro 200 with integrated video card i think. Ill open it up and try adjusting the card later when I get home. thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could always hook up a laptop to the monitor to test it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Was the cable recently tripped on?

The VGA port might not be making contact with the motherboard sufficiently until you wiggle it but this is only a temporary fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Yes, i think that is the issue Paul, I adjusted the connection to the motherboard around a bit and it helped a little. Unfortunately after disconnecting and reconnecting different internal parts, I now just get a blank screen in safe mode after the windows logo and cant get this repaired, looks like I have made things worse!

Advertisement