Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone 4 O2 unlock soloution needed

• 22-03-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks..
    I have an iphone 4 locked to O2 that I bought on adverts...I registered the IMEI and asked O2 to have it unlocked..They came back and gave the usual I" need to spend €150 on credit" to unlock it answer..
    So I went online and tried 3 unlock soloution places..all 3 came back saying they couldn't obtain an unlock with the last one saying the phone was semi blocked?? never heard of that before..I have been on the O2 community page and they have checked the IMEI and it's clean and registered to me (previous owner didnt register it)..I bought the phone hoping to unlock and to send to my son in the USA but as it stands it's no good..Anybody got any ideas apart from spending €150 on credit!!...Is there a good,fairly reasonably priced unlock provider that can be recommended by anybody here?
    cheers.
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

You can only unlock an iPhone with Apple's codes, via the provider. If the provider will not cooperate, your only solution is to jail break it. When anyone 'claims' they wil unlock it then what they really mean is they will jailbreak it. In my view jail breaking is for suckers. It exposes it and any information or data on it to enormous security risks.
    If it were me I would make use of it here, with O2, until the 150 is spent. Either you or someone in the family. Send your son something else. My 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

There is no codes for an iPhone. It's all done through iTunes. Secondly it's impossible to unlock an iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w if the baseband is higher than 01.59.00
    That baseband came with iOS 4 so it's very unlikely the phone wasn't updated or had the baseband preserved. There is ways to unlock it without jail breaking and the price ranges from €50-€120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

You say you tried 3 online shops, did they offer unlock specifically for O2 IRL?
    If you didn't already try here:
    http://www.syncron.ie/category_s/144.htm

guil wrote: »
    There is no codes for an iPhone.
    The code is delivered directly though iTunes.
    There is ways to unlock it without jail breaking and the price ranges from €50-€120
    There is no way to unlock without Apple or a jail break.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Piliger wrote: »
    The code is delivered directly though iTunes.

There is no way to unlock without Apple or a jail break.

That's only partly true, earlier you said the only ways through O2 which isn't true.

It appears to be possibly to get an unlock via other companies who get the phone on to apples list. People have used some of the services out there and had proper unlocks, including boards posters.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    That's only partly true, earlier you said the only ways through O2 which isn't true.
    If the operator is O2 then O2 must approve it.
    It appears to be possibly to get an unlock via other companies who get the phone on to apples list. People have used some of the services out there and had proper unlocks, including boards posters.
    Only with the permission of the operator(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Cutyoursim.com will unlock for €69usd about €54

Look you're wrong on this, there is countless websites and shops that can get an iPhone unlocked from nearly any operator without the operator knowing a thing about it

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No.

guil wrote: »
    Look you're wrong on this, there is countless websites and shops that can get an iPhone unlocked from nearly any operator without the operator knowing a thing about it

Yes - but they jailbreak it.

• Advertisement

You can only unlock an iPhone 4 via jailbreak if it's on the 01.59.00 baseband. Newer basebands and phones can't be unlocked via jailbreak.

I guess another option would be something like a Gevey SIM but I still see them as hacks. If it were me I'd be trying to do it properly.

No they don't, they don't even need the phone to do it, its all done through servers without any codes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Look piliger you seem quite adamant about this. In the past this service wasn't avaible, but there are now countless websites (including the one I linked, sycron.ie) that do official apple/iTunes unlocks. They don't need your phone, they do the same as the operator and request an official unlock with apple.
    Don't know exactly how they get away with bypassing the operator that supplied the phone but they do. It's an official unlock so you can update iOS and everything, lock will never go back on. Just google it...

I think it's called a grey unlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Got my last phone unlocked from an eBay guy in Dundalk, had it unlocked via the imei in 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/pricing.php

Seems to be £50 here. No jailbreak, permanent etc seems to be as legit as one might get....

Don't really know how this works but I understand they somehow offer rewards to members of staff of the networks who are able to enter imei's into the system which put in a request to Apple to have that phone unlocked.

There's a page on Facebook that repair iPhones etc called irepair. They are offering O2 unlock for any iPhone for €50. Don't think it's anything to do with Cathal here from irepair.ie

Advertisement