Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a large mirror on the cheap in Dublin?

Options
  • 22-03-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

I want to get my hands on a large mirror to put in front of a big fire place. I am thinking at least 4 ft by 3ft. The ones in regular shops are pretty pricey. So I was thinking of maybe picking up a cheapo second hand one somewhere, and I'll tart it up if need be.

Does anyone know of any junk shops, car boot sales, antique & collectible fairs (like you'd see on Bargain Hunt on the BBC) estate sales etc etc in Dublin, where I'd pick up something like that? I am willing to travel a bit (Kildare, Meath, Wicklow etc) if need be. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Not sure what your price range is but I find IKEA are normally good value for things like that. Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Depends on what you want, Atlantic/Woodies do large plain mirrors €30 - €50.
    Have a look in Arnotts bargin basement they often get a stack of them in and do them cheap.

The Banana Tree usually has selection as does tkmax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

There is also an Argos Value long mirror for around €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for all the links. I couldn't find one big enough in IKEA. Woodies do plain glass mirrors (like you'd put on a bathroom wall) but I want something framed, and their big framed mirrors are all well over 100 euros. I'm hoping to get something in the 50-80 quid range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

try the arnotts bargain shop on middle abbey street as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

if your willing to frame it yourself,going to one of the bedroom furniture manufacturers over in cork street/marrowbone lane might be an option.they buy in huge mirrors and then cut them to size for use in wardrobes/dressing tables and quite often they would have large odd pieces left over and these can be had really cheaply
    edit:after re reading the thread i see its a framed one your after,whoops!car boot sales and markets probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got some in bargaintown. We'd looked everywhere and couldn't find a long one which wasn't overly ornamental or 'trendy' for want of a better word. Bargaintown had very plain ones in wooden frames which were exactly what we wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks for all the links. I couldn't find one big enough in IKEA. Woodies do plain glass mirrors (like you'd put on a bathroom wall) but I want something framed, and their big framed mirrors are all well over 100 euros. I'm hoping to get something in the 50-80 quid range.

Don't bother going to Ikea or Woodies; you'll find an inexpensive and much better quality one in an auction. Do some Google research on local auction houses - honestly, much better than mass-produced tat

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00081591/

Dont know wether this is too big but bought this mirror and hung it lengthways with a floating shelf in the same material and looks really well...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Make sure you click on Product information to get sizes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

try the arnotts bargain shop on middle abbey street as well
    +1

We got exactly what you are talking about in there for €25!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You might get something at the Brocante Furniture & Vintage market tomorrow (http://m.dublineventguide.com/#event_7168). It's on monthly, get there early I'd say. Its also near Francis St where there are lots of antique and collectibles type shops, you might see something there either.

Check the rest of that site for other markets on over the weekend by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You can get a mirror cut in Glass really cheaply. Like about €3 per sq foot. Im sure you can pick a cheap picture frame some where and stick it in.

Or try an auction house like Herman and wilkinson. They sell of old house contents every week really cheap sometimes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement