Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure battery replacement?

Options
  • 22-03-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭

I haven't actually checked it yet, but I'm pretty certain that the leisure battery in our caravan will need replacing before our first outing this year. It was beginning to fade performance-wise last time we were out, and as its been standing for over 12 months now I think its safe to say it won't take/hold much charge.

A friend has recently replaced the battery in his camper with an ordinary battery for a diesel Transit. Reckons its just as good performance-wise as the leisure batteries he's had before, but cost a good deal less.

So I'm wondering what the general consensus is on battery replacement on here? Is the premium for a leisure battery over a regular battery really money well spent? The battery has its own compartment with outside access so isn't exposed to the living area if fumes were a concern and if it makes any difference? Will a regular battery work alright on the factory charging system when hooked up to the mains supply?

Feedback and opinions appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Aidan will probably give you a more technical explanation but car/van batteries are designed for the heavy power requirements when starting the engine while leisure batteries are designed for long use at low power requirements.

Try taking your battery into a decent motor factors to get a full charge. I did this last year when I thought my battery was dead and this brought it back to life. They didn't even charge me for it but they have had plenty of repeat business since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

A proper leisure battery will last longer on a charge than an engine battery. Both will work, but the proper one works better! I wouldn't advise a dry cell gel battery though, too expensive and unreliable in my Experience. We get great service out of the Numax leisure batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have a look at BANNER batteries. Their Energy Bull range are purpose made for leisure use.

You will find cheaper but not the quality.

I have Varta Semi-traction (same type as the Banner Energy Bull) which are still going strong in their eighth year.
    In the long run it's usually better value to buy the right tool for the job.

Beware, a lot of so called 'leisure batteries' are only relabeled 'starter batteries' and generally don't give good service.

See HERE for an insight into the mysterious world of 'leisure' batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Hooked it up to the mains yesterday so going to leave it be for a couple of days and see if it keeps any charge. It was brand new when we bought the caravan 3 years ago, but it wasn't used at all last year and the mains has been disconnected since last May (tow vehicle broke so caravan didn't have a single outing in 2012 even though it was prepped in April :( ).

Advertisement