Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending probationry period

Options
  • 22-03-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I hope some one can advise me.
    I started working for a company on 5th June 2012 and my contract stated a 9 month probationry period whis was up on the 5th March 2013.
    I heard nothing from my manager so assumed all is ok which in general i t is.
    Last week I was called to a meeting to sort out some small issues with my manager and at the end of this he told me he wants to extend my probationry period by two months as he was out sick for a couple of months and does not feel it would be fair to evaluate me on the the basis of 7 months.
    Now - as far as I can see I am now full time with all my employment rights in place after my probationry period - is thta correct?
    The meeting we had was informal and nothing has been written between us so no official notification of his intentions.
    He did also say that he would guarantee that I would not be let go at the end of this probationry period.
    By the way I am doing a good job and that has been acknowledged and making good money for the company.
    Sorry to rant on a bit but it is difficult to put into words.
    My question is - can they extend this probationry period after the origional one has passed?
    Am I know a full time employee.
    Whilst I feel sorry for him and his ilness - that should not affect my contract of employment.
    I welcome all comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's contract dependent.

Your probationary period cannot be longer than one year, so in principle there's no problem with them extending it by two months.

I've had contracts which state that I if I'm not told otherwise, the probationary period will end after six months - i.e. they have to notify me in advance of an intention to extend it.
    But I've had contracts which state the exact opposite - i.e. that my probation is considered to be ongoing until I received formal written confirmation that it has been completed.

Afaik most employers go with the latter, but it does depend on what your contract says.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I think most employment rights only kick in after 12 months anyway. I'm not sure what difference it makes whether you're on probation or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Morte wrote: »
    I think most employment rights only kick in after 12 months anyway. I'm not sure what difference it makes whether you're on probation or not.
    Short of notice periods usually not a whole lot to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

seamus wrote: »
    It's contract dependent.

Your probationary period cannot be longer than one year, so in principle there's no problem with them extending it by two months.

I've had contracts which state that I if I'm not told otherwise, the probationary period will end after six months - i.e. they have to notify me in advance of an intention to extend it.
    But I've had contracts which state the exact opposite - i.e. that my probation is considered to be ongoing until I received formal written confirmation that it has been completed.

Afaik most employers go with the latter, but it does depend on what your contract says.

Yes, most companies go with the latter. That formal notification ends the probation period. In some companies this notification would also include information about the pension plan or health plan as they normally kick in at the end of probation. In our company, there is a formally documented interview at the end of probation.

So I would say, you are not "full time" until they say you are.

Are there any benefits that start at the end of probation?
    If so have you started to receive any of them?

That would also constitute formal notification of the end of probation, by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If he promises you won;t be let go at the end of the extension, then what does he want the extension for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement