Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating & Air con

Options
  • 22-03-2013 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering about temperatures at work. I am on a floor with about 70 people. One of the teams is complaining that it's too cold so they bumped up the heating. We are not allowed to open any windows and it's simply too hot. All the Irish lads are too hot now. I myself am actually sweating and it's uncomfortable. Dry lips, dehydrated (yes I am drinking water :P).

I am just wondering where I stand here. I have notified my team lead several times today and yesterday but nothing is changing. The temperature is set to heat, 23 degrees.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

23 degrees is far too hot for an office imo. 19 degrees is about perfect.

I've had the same issues, in my experience typically the women are often cold, as well as guys who are used to hotter climates. I worked in an office with 2 Indian guys once and even in Summer they'd be complaining about the windows being open.

Not sure what you can do about it really, I have a fan on my desk. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If I remember my information correctly there's really only a minimum temperature requirement; no higher so that you're hot is unfortunate but you'd be hardpressed to find legal support to stand on.

Best bet is to see if you can possibly move around a bit (i.e. the once cold moved further from the fans) but beyond that you're going to need to cope basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I understand your problem :-(

I too much prefer cool to hot.

It is much easier for a cold person to add layers of cloths to regulate their temperature than for a hot person to strip off.

Perhaps you could point this out, if the cold folks are sitting there in tee shirts then they should wear a second layer and dial down the temp by a couple of degrees.

This is an issue that needs to be discussed as a group and then a decision made by management. (Democracy does not work on these sort of issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

23oC is way too high and it may even be higher in reality. Maybe check with a thermometer.

All I can suggest based on my experience of office/factory floor politics etc is that you keep complaining and get as many others to complain as you can. Your team leads etc will eventually get the message.

Or you could try working in a string vest or a Borat mankini and see what happens!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Way too high, my office is set to 20.

In my opinion the temperature should stay on the cool side and if people are cold they can put on more clothes! There is only so much you can take off if you are too hot in an office!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I did a "Building Health" course in my last job and optimum temperature is between 19 and 21 degrees.

We also did a survey on it among our employees and the results were split pretty much straight down the middle on gender lines - men tend to feel 21 is too warm, women that 19 is too cold. Basic biology, really, men have faster metabolisms, and it's very hard to allow for that and keep everyone happy.

A lot of it can depend on the location of your desk too, obviously. Those around the perimeter of our office tended to find it a lot cooler than those in the middle. So we moved the hottest creatures out and the coldest ones in and it solved a lot of our problems. Not an option everywhere, though, obviously.

Layers really are the key, for those on both sides of the fence - just strip off/layer up as required, although obviously there are limits to how far you can go in that regard.

For what it's worth, though, I have found that the "too hot" brigade are just as bad for sitting there with their jumpers and jackets on, complaining about the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

cooperguy wrote: »

In my opinion the temperature should stay on the cool side and if people are cold they can put on more clothes! There is only so much you can take off if you are too hot in an office!

The opposite is also true. Im often too cold and could already wearing a top and a jumper. Someone else will be saying they are too warm and are wearing a long sleeve top. Surely it makes more sense for them to take off a layer and wear a tshirt or short sleeved top than for me to be wearing my coat?

23 does sound very warm though OP

I always think offices should have areas that are temperature controlled. if you are someone who is always warm - sit in the cool breeze area and if you are someone who is always cold sit in the tropical area :)

Advertisement