Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom triple bundle: telecom + bb + mobile - any opinions?

• 22-03-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently paying 92 pm for telecom, DSL bb, and mobile.

Eircom = 52 euro for line rental, off-peak calls, plus 8mb bb, unlimited downloads (I think)

eMobile = 40 pm for 300 mins / 300 SMS / 2GB internet

I feel that 92 is too much.

I am thinking of switching to a 3-in-1 bundle.

https://secure.eircom.net/bundles/

70 pm, with 65 pm for the first six months., same amount of mobile mins and SMS, same BB, very similar overall.

So effectively 67.50 pm for a year.

That saves me 25pm.

Has anybody any experience of the new triple Eircom bundles???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

10gb limit on the dsl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

colm_mcm wrote: »
    10gb limit on the dsl?

Yes.

Broadband, Mobile & Home Phone Bundle
    *€55 per month price applies to new eircom customers for the 1st 6 months – €70 per month thereafter.
    For all other customers the price is €65 per month for the 1st 6 months - €70 per month thereafter.

Up to 8Mb uncongested broadband.

Free wireless modem included.
    10GB Usage

eMobile 300
    300 minutes to any network, 300 texts to any network, 500MB data
    Unlimited calls to landlines
    Unlimited calls and texts to eMobile and Meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

10Gb is shockingly low.

Is it?

I had a 5 GB limit until recently, I think.

Then, due to Netflix, we started exceeding the limit, and we had to pay per MB downloaded.

So now we pay 5 extra per month for unlimited downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Standard one has been 10gb for years and years. If you were exceeding this then its no good to you.

They don't seem to a bundle with unlimited dsl with mobile.

Vodafone with 40gb limit and similar phone for €40

If you get a vodafone mobile you'd get 6 months at €20pm but the vf mobile plans are quite expensive I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You are better off not bundling and not going with Eircom.

For instance if smart telecom are available in your area, then you can get:

€30 24mb BB, off peak calls, 350GB cap

Then for mobile you could get for instance 48 months mobile who offer:

€20 unlimited calls and texts to any network any time and 3GB of data.

So for €55 you would get far more then the eircom bundle.

If Smart aren't in you area, then Sky have a great option:

€40 24mb BB, off peak calls + unlimited cap

So this would come out at €60, €7.50 cheaper then Eircom bundle while offering way more.

BTW if you really want to go with emobile, they have a plan for €32 per month gets you unlimited calls and texts to any network any time, unlimited landline calls and 15GB of data. Remember if you go with this plan, you don't need the off peak calls with Smart, so take €5 off Smart the above smart price.

Another good option is three.ie, top up by €20 and you get unlimited texts to any network any time, unlimited calls to three customers any time, unlimited calls to any network Saturday/Sunday, 15GB of data and you still have the €20 to spend at any time.

I never considered Smart.

Thanks.

Do they simply resell Eircom DSL, like UTV, Sky, etc.?

Or are they somehow different? Obviously they will be using the same copper line from house to exchange, so seems to be simply re-selling Eircom DSL?

Smart have a 35 plan that is similar to my Eircom 52 euro plan.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Talk_Off-Peak.aspx

Up to 24 mb speed / 350 GB download limit / line rental incl / free off-peak calls

This sounds very good, instant 17 pm saving, plus no mobile tie.

Anybody any opinions on Smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

they offered me the bundle with unlimited cap

wer're still on old pre ngb exchange

dunno if it's available on ngb

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

they offered me the bundle with unlimited cap

Really? when? I'm stuck on Smart with a cap.

Geuze, Smart are different, they don't just re-sell Eircom DSL. They do LLU (local loop unbundling), which means while they obviously use the Eircom copper cable going into your home, they have their own equipment (DSLAMS) in the Eircom exchange and their own fibre cables going to the exchange (unlike Eircom resellers who just use Eircoms DSLAMS and fibre backhaul).

The upside of this is that Smart can offer much cheaper prices. The downside is that their network isn't as extensive as Eircom. So just because you can get Eircom DSL, doesn't mean you can get Smart.

You need to check if you can get Smart here:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

BTW I have Smart myself and I'm pretty happy with it. Works well for what it offers, while obviously if I could get it, I'd love UPC 150mb, but for ADSL2+ it works well and it is by far the cheapest wired broadband deal available. A good balance of price and spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

bk wrote: »
    Really? when? I'm stuck on Smart with a cap.

Geuze, Smart are different, they don't just re-sell Eircom DSL. They do LLU (local loop unbundling), which means while they obviously use the Eircom copper cable going into your home, they have their own equipment (DSLAMS) in the Eircom exchange and their own fibre cables going to the exchange (unlike Eircom resellers who just use Eircoms DSLAMS and fibre backhaul).

The upside of this is that Smart can offer much cheaper prices. The downside is that their network isn't as extensive as Eircom. So just because you can get Eircom DSL, doesn't mean you can get Smart.

You need to check if you can get Smart here:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

BTW I have Smart myself and I'm pretty happy with it. Works well for what it offers, while obviously if I could get it, I'd love UPC 150mb, but for ADSL2+ it works well and it is by far the cheapest wired broadband deal available. A good balance of price and spec.
    eircom offered me the uncapped bundle

i think it may be 5euro extra though

• Advertisement

Smart

30 for 8mb bb and no free calls

35 for 8mb bb and free off-peak calls

Eircom

I pay 52-53 for that now.

Current Eircom deals: 35 for six months, 50 pm thereafter.

So thousands of people could save 15-17 pm by switching to Smart, and get the same landline / bb / free calls??

Am I missing something?

Why don't I hear people talking about Smart?

Is it just ignorance / inertia / laziness?

Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Geuze wrote: »
    Smart

30 for 8mb bb and no free calls

35 for 8mb bb and free off-peak calls

It is actually "upto" 24mb BB for 30/35
    So thousands of people could save 15-17 pm by switching to Smart, and get the same landline / bb / free calls??

Am I missing something?

No, Smart are offering by far the cheapest wired broadband product in Ireland.
    Why don't I hear people talking about Smart?

Is it just ignorance / inertia / laziness?

Or is there something else that I'm missing?

There are two issues with Smart:

1) They are a very small company and do almost no sales or marketing. So people just aren't aware of them.

2) They are only available from exchanges that Smart put their LLU gear in. So they aren't available to as many people as Eircom.

It will be interesting to see what Digiweb/Smart do with the rollout of VDSL2, will they offer VDSL2 packages also?

Advertisement