Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fáil Ard Fheis 2013 - April 27th, RDS

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

skearon wrote: »
    What's wrong with being a former adviser to Dick Roche? He's a lovely man :-)

Plus I've never run for the CommitteeOf20.com before, so am a fresh face in that regard

Is this not another case of fianna fail and jobs for the boys?

I await your response with anticipation!

Also great to see that the fresh faces of john o donoghue and tom mc ellistrim will be running for fianna fail again in Kerry.

Seems like its the same old story with fianna fail!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Also great to see that the fresh faces of john o donoghue and tom mc ellistrim will be running for fianna fail again in Kerry.

Seems like its the same old story with fianna fail!

No selection convention has been held in any constituency yet for the next General Election.

The likes of John O'Donoghue might like to run again, but they have to get past convention first - and that could be a lot more difficult then they might have imagined. Nothing is a certainty at this stage.

No selection convention has been held in any constituency yet for the next General Election.

The likes of John O'Donoghue might like to run again, but they have to get past convention first - and that could be a lot more difficult then they might have imagined.
    All over the local papers all week, they reckon they have it wrapped up!

As someone who is well connected in Fianna Fail, can you tell me if skearon hosts websites for the party. Surely jobs for the boys would be frowned upon from the 'new' FF?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't believe everything you read in the local papers.
    As someone who is well connected in Fianna Fail, can you tell me if skearon hosts websites for the party. Surely jobs for the boys would be frowned upon from the 'new' FF?

Wouldn't say I am 'well connected' at all, but a quick and easy to do WHOIS search shows that the FF website is hosted by Blacknight. Don't see how it really is related to this thread anyways.

• Advertisement

Don't believe everything you read in the local papers.

Wouldn't say I am 'well connected' at all, but a quick and easy to do WHOIS search shows that the FF website is hosted by Blacknight. Don't see how it really is related to this thread anyways.
    So your telling me not to believe what two ex fianna fail tds tell there local papers?

You know what you might be right!

I'll await skearons response before I see just how 'new' this FF party are! Maybe there is another I.T. company that hosts sites for FF that is owned by a man called Skearon?

So your telling me not to believe what two ex fianna fail tds tell there local papers?

Lol, do you think anyone looking to put their name forward at the next convention should be considered an 'impartial' source regarding matters pertaining to the selection convention?

Anyways, I thought this thread was about the upcoming Ard Fheis? Start a thread on John O'Donoghue if you want, I fail to see what relevance it has here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Did you ever host websites for Dick Roche?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Is this not another case of fianna fail and jobs for the boys?

I await your response with anticipation!

Those on the National Executive volunteer their time, and to be fair I believe the same applies to the other democratic Irish political parties.

Lol, do you think anyone looking to put their name forward at the next convention should be considered an 'impartial' source regarding matters pertaining to the selection convention?

Anyways, I thought this thread was about the upcoming Ard Fheis? Start a thread on John O'Donoghue if you want, I fail to see what relevance it has here.
    It will have plenty relevance when he's running in the next election, along with the quiet man Mc Ellistrim. You seem ashamed that they want to run for fianna fail again.

Its almost like FF want us to forget the last few years, wonder why?

• Advertisement

It will have plenty relevance when he's running in the next election, along with the quiet man Mc Ellistrim. You seem ashamed that they want to run for fianna fail again.

Its almost like FF want us to forget the last few years, wonder why?

I am merely pointing out the fact that a selection convention is a long way off for the next General Election, yet you are jumping the gun by assuming that certain individuals are already a certainty to contest the election. That assumption is far from reality, and really highlights your lack of understanding as to how the selection process works within the various political parties. Doesn't seem to stop you commenting as if you are an expert though!

I will hold off making any assumptions until after the local elections.

I am merely pointing out the fact that a selection convention is a long way off for the next General Election, yet you are jumping the gun by assuming that certain individuals are already a certainty to contest the election. That assumption is far from reality, and really highlights your lack of understanding as to how the selection process works within the various political parties. Doesn't seem to stop you commenting as if you are an expert though!

I will hold off making any assumptions until after the local elections.

Selection process is totally clear.

A guy who done lots of work for dick roche and the fianna fail party is now being put forward for selection.

I'm liking this new politics that michael martin has introduced.

I'm glad the politics of jobs for the boys is gone and there is going to be a new way of doing things!

I'm glad the politics of jobs for the boys is gone and there is going to be a new way of doing things!

Delighted to hear it, I can send you on a membership application form if your interested in seeing first hand the good work that is being done?

skearon wrote: »
    Those on the National Executive volunteer their time, and to be fair I believe the same applies to the other democratic Irish political parties.

So it is the same people at the heart of the Fianna Fail party!

So much for Michael martins Bulls**t about a new fresh start!

Nothing has changed in fianna Fail, its one big circle looking after each other!

Was the job of hosting Roches website put out to public tender?

Delighted to hear it, I can send you on a membership application form if your interested in seeing first hand the good work that is being done?

Can you also put me on Fianna Fails tender list so I can get 3250 for hosting a website for a year?

Did ex Fianna Fail TD tom mc ellistrim ever pay back the money he owed the tax payer, from using pre payed envelopes belonging to Fianna Fail Senator Diarmuid Wilson?

He used the pre payed envelopes a few months back to anounce to thousands of people in Kerry that he was running for fianna fail again!

And was any action taken against Fianna Fail senator Wilson for providing him with the envelopes at the tax payers expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Indeed it is the same body as the National Executive, it is essentially the elections to the National Executive that occur during the Ard Fheis.

In the past it was based upon a delegate system, but this year will be the first time that 'One Member, One Vote' is in place for the Ard Fheis. So basically each member has their own vote.

Is the FF ard fheis not delegate based now?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is the FF ard fheis not delegate based now?

In the past it was based on a delegate system, whereby each cumann sent three voting delegates to the conference. That has been done away with now, and each individual member will have a vote - naturally they are still referred to as delegates. This will be the first Ard Fheis that these changes are in operation.

The same applies to selection conventions, and hence why I would be very reluctant to make wild predictions about the outcome of a selection convention at this stage. It is new territory essentially for the party, the paper cumann are no longer relevant.

In the past it was based on a delegate system, whereby each cumann sent three voting delegates to the conference. That has been done away with now, and each individual member will have a vote - naturally they are still referred to as delegates.

So if a cumann had 100 members then all cumann members could go and vote? seems open to abuse really - if you're a rich individual - stack the cumann with all your friends and then get them all to attend the ard fheis to vote for you for the committee of 20!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So if a cumann had 100 members then all cumann members could go and vote? seems open to abuse really - if you're a rich individual - stack the cumann with all your friends and then get them all to attend the ard fheis to vote for you for the committee of 20!

There are various safeguards in place by HQ to ensure that the system is not abused by candidates signing up members solely for the intention of aiding their own individual internal party elections.

That was a concern within FG when the system was adopted by them well over a decade ago that it would lead to such a situation that you describe emerging, but those fears were proven to be baseless over time.

• Advertisement

the paper cumann are no longer relevant.

I think thats a bit naive - in a way this means that paper cumann will probably be phased out but there will be a big increase in paper members that would only ever be seen at selection conventions.

Terry Pratchet

I think thats a bit naive - in a way this means that paper cumann will probably be phased out but there will be a big increase in paper members that would only ever be seen at selection conventions.

There are activity requirements that individuals must meet before they are allowed to have a vote, one of just a number of safegaurds implemented to ensure that the situation that you describe does not emerge. No such requirements were in place for any paper cumann.

With all due respect, this was debated heavily in the lead up to the last Ard Fheis when the 'One Member - One Vote' system was adopted. The potential issues that you describe were identified, and addressed before OMOV was brought into operation. There are also a number of milestones whereby the system will be reviewed and audited to identify any issues, and to resolve them. It is a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I very much doubt very much has changed in the way FF do business. Its always been jobs for the boys and the party. The indulgent John O'Donoghue wants to be re-united with his old pal Martin? FF must be struggling for any decent candidates if the likes of John O'Donoghue is back. So much for the new FF, more like the same old FF.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I very much doubt very much has changed in the way FF do business. Its always been jobs for the boys and the party. The indulgent John O'Donoghue wants to be re-united with his old pal Martin? FF must be struggling for any decent candidates if the likes of John O'Donoghue is back. So much for the new FF, more like the same old FF.

Google tom mc ellistrim and hes use of fianna fail senators envelopes to see what he has been up to lately. It seems they are still willing to scam the tax payer at every opportunity.

I;m still waiting for stephen skearon to answer my question.

Was the website hosting job you done for dick roche put to public tender, or was this another fiaana fail looking after there mates job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I;m still waiting for stephen skearon to answer my question.

Was the website hosting job you done for dick roche put to public tender, or was this another fiaana fail looking after there mates job?
    Have you asked him?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Have you asked him?

Yes, a page back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Yes, a page back.

I think Stephen has other things on his mind today.
    Very ill judged tweet so close to the Ard Fheis. FF tweet machine going into overdrive to distance themselves.

http://www.krank.ie/category/society/the-voice-of-fianna-fail-grassroots/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

If FF wanted a fresh start then why have they allowed M Martin remain as their party leader? Outside his gombeen fans in Cork he is very unpopular and immediately is a remainder of previous corrupt FF governments.

Makes no sense from a FF point of view. The new age FFers obviously arent up to the task of replacing him.

• Advertisement

Outside his gombeen fans in Cork he is very unpopular and immediately is a remainder of previous corrupt FF governments.

Opinion polls have consistently shown over the last year or so that Micheál Martin is the most popular political party leader in the state.

Advertisement