Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fáil Ard Fheis 2013 - April 27th, RDS

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

Opinion polls have consistently shown over the last year or so that Micheál Martin is the most popular political party leader in the state.

I'm fairly sure going on many Polls Gerry Adams was more popular. I would certainly not say Martin is a popular leader.

At the end of the day Martin is a reminder of the old corrupt FF. He hasnt been given the boot because there is no new blood in FF.

The thought of Mr Martin as the next Taoiseach would sicken the majority of this country and is enough to not vote for FF. And I say this as someone who never votes for FG/Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Will never vote for Fianna Fáil again again after those comments by Stephen Kearon. It's no surprise he's apart of Fianna Fáil. I'm not even sure if I could vote for them again anyway but that's the nail in the coffin for me. I suspect the should look to remove such people from the party if they want to change their current image.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Will never vote for Fianna Fáil again again after those comments by Stephen Kearon. It's no surprise he's apart of Fianna Fáil. I'm not even sure if I could vote for them again anyway but that's the nail in the coffin for me. I suspect the should look to remove such people from the party if they want to change their current image.

Stephen is one of the Fianna Fail old boys club, he will say as he pleases and still be put forward for election by the party!

Its good to see that the mask is slipping off Fianna Fail again before people start to vote for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

skearon wrote: »
    Yes

Any chance of giving us back that 3250 euro you ripped the taxpayer out of?

And we aee supposed to think that corrupt FF is gone :rolleyes:

Stephen is one of the Fianna Fail old boys club, he will say as he pleases and still be put forward for election by the party!

Its good to see that the mask is slipping off Fianna Fail again before people start to vote for them!
    He's pretty much undone the thimbleful of goodwill that O'Cuiv had built up with shinners.... no chance of transfers now.

• Advertisement

Has skearon been removed from the committee of 20?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Skearon is not a member of the committee of 20, so it would be hard for him to be removed from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Srianadh

It appears that he has been removed yeah. His page is gone without a trace and an FF'er I know hinted strongly that he's no longer on the ballot when I asked him. (His direct quote was, "nothing has been announced officially yet so I'll not answer it now with respect to due process.")

Sierra, I believe michael was referring to the committee election race.

Skearon is not a member of the committee of 20, so it would be hard for him to be removed from it.

What do you think of the comments he's been making on twitter, really letting the mask of new fianna fail slip hasn't he?

An integral member of the party like skearon showing that micheal martin is still powerless when it comes to discipline. But sure we knew that anyway!

What do you think of the comments he's been making on twitter, really letting the mask of new fianna fail slip hasn't he?

An integral member of the party like skearon showing that micheal martin is still powerless when it comes to discipline. But sure we knew that anyway!

To be fair michael, from my understanding he was a PRO of one branch in Wicklow town. Hardly an "integral member of the party". The fact that he's been removed from this race would also show how his comments have been received. They were horrible alright. He issued an apology on his twitter yesterday for them though. As much as I set this thread up to find out just what this "FF nua" is all about, (and have yet to be impressed), there has to be an element of fairness when looking on it too. Talk of "letting the mask slip" doesn't do justice to people I know from FF who were equally as appalled by that tweet. There were quite a lot of them publicly chastising him on the night as well.

• Advertisement

Srianadh wrote: »
    To be fair michael, from my understanding he was a PRO of one branch in Wicklow town. Hardly an "integral member of the party". The fact that he's been removed from this race would also show how his comments have been received. They were horrible alright. He issued an apology on his twitter yesterday for them though. As much as I set this thread up to find out just what this "FF nua" is all about, (and have yet to be impressed), there has to be an element of fairness when looking on it too. Talk of "letting the mask slip" doesn't do justice to people I know from FF who were equally as appalled by that tweet. There were quite a lot of them publicly chastising him on the night as well.
    He was an advisor to Dick Roche AFAIK. He also done a lot of webhosting for him, and is still a PRO for branches of FF.

Id consider him fairly interconnected with FF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't agree with his comments, and I have yet to see another member who does, but your wrong to think that he speaks on behalf of the organization. The comments were made in a personal capacity. You do realize that all of the comments I make here are also in a personal capacity? Same situation really.

And labelling a grass roots member as an integral member of the party is a little much. It is a pretty large organisation. I have held different roles in various cumann down through the years. Not exactly a big deal.

I don't really understand your MM comment either. In the past you have continually moaned about everyone towing the line and not being outspoken in nature, and now your complaining about someone going against the mould and making a very controversial statement. Which is it? Do you want unquestioning loyalty to the leader? I don't, because that is unhealthy.

In anycase, skearon is no longer a candidate for the C20 so in the interests of fairness that will be my last comment on that matter. He made some ill advised comments in the heat of an argument, and has had to pay the price for his actions.

Special advisor is hardly an ordinary grass roots member in fairness.

I don't agree with his comments, and I have yet to see another member who does, but your wrong to think that he speaks on behalf of the organization. The comments were made in a personal capacity. You do realize that all of the comments I make here are also in a personal capacity? Same situation really.

And labelling a grass roots member as an integral member of the party is a little much. It is a pretty large organisation. I have held different roles in various cumann down through the years. Not exactly a big deal.

I don't really understand your MM comment either. In the past you have continually moaned about everyone towing the line and not being outspoken in nature, and now your complaining about someone going against the mould and making a very controversial statement. Which is it? Do you want unquestioning loyalty to the leader? I don't, because that is unhealthy.

In anycase, skearon is no longer a candidate for the C20 so in the interests of fairness that will be my last comment on that matter. He made some ill advised comments in the heat of an argument, and has had to pay the price for his actions.

On he's twitter profile where he made the comments was enblazened with the Ff logos, he also mentioned in he's Bio that he was advisor to Dick roche and he worked as a PRO ( now there is irony) officer for Fianna fail. So he was the one linking fianna fail with he's comments.

As for Micheal Martin, he got he's head patted by Bertie and Cowen for years and was happy enough to go along with what they did to this country. The man deserves no respect. He put the good of the party before the country.

On he's twitter profile where he made the comments was enblazened with the Ff logos, he also mentioned in he's Bio that he was advisor to Dick roche and he worked as a PRO ( now there is irony) officer for Fianna fail. So he was the one linking fianna fail with he's comments.

As for Micheal Martin, he got he's head patted by Bertie and Cowen for years and was happy enough to go along with what they did to this country. The man deserves no respect. He put the good of the party before the country.

I too am glad this Kearon lad is getting his just deserts for his appalling comments but lets keep it factual otherwise the criticism gets illegitimized. He wasn't/isn't the "PRO of Fianna Fáil" but of their Wicklow town cumann I'm told. Akin to getting a position on the committee because you were one of the 10 that turned up but you weren't good enough for chair/secretary. A special adviser is someone close to that particular individual Minister/politician, not necessarily and anybody within any political party. Same holds true for the current lot.

Did he give up the campaign off his own bat or did he need some "gentle persuasion" I wonder? Any of the other candidates prone to such 'outbursts' I wonder also? FF HQ are probably looking at the remaining ones and praying they're not going to do something similar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Srianadh wrote: »
    I too am glad this Kearon lad is getting his just deserts for his appalling comments.

Sorry but the stuff on facebook is beyond vile - threats calling for him to be beaten up and even killed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry but the stuff on facebook is beyond vile - threats calling for him to be beaten up and even killed

I'll agree that is much, much too far. When I mean just deserts, I meant that his venture into politics as a career was being at least halted. No one should be subject to death threat and/or violence for an opinion. Even a despicable one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Don't write this Kearon lad off just yet .

The FF amnesia apparatus will kick in and will blame this "Painful Death" comment on the current government .

You have to wonder what kind of reaction he thought he was going to get putting up the tweets he did. He's a grown man for christ sake.

Have some respecr for the dead at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nobody should be beaten up but what did he expect making such vile comments? It was an unbelievably disgusting comment and he deserves no sympathy.

He sowed this seed.

• Advertisement

You have to wonder what kind of reaction he thought he was going to get putting up the tweets he did. He's a grown man for christ sake.

Have some respecr for the dead at least!
    Nobody should be beaten up but what did he expect making such vile comments? It was an unbelievably disgusting comment and he deserves no sympathy.

He sowed this seed.

Look - I don't agree with what he said but there is a massive irony in people saying he showed no respect and then making vile disrespectful venomous comments.

The comments on FB are contemptible, vile and threatening and frankly I am surprised people are defending them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Look - I don't agree with what he said but there is a massive irony in people saying he showed no respect and then making vile disrespectful venomous comments.

The comments on FB are contemptible, vile and threatening.

I have no sympathy whatsoever, he's a vile man who even after putting up the first tweet and angering people. He continued to try and piss people off and put up the second one about burning in hell.

Well he wanted a reaction and he has certainly got it. He's home address and business name was being posted all over twitter last night.

A grown man with nearly 30k tweets, he would want to go away and have a word with himself.

I'm just glad the mask is slipping off these fianna fail guys before they get elected, and not after as usually happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Wh

I have no sympathy whatsoever, he's a vile man who even after putting up the first tweet and angering people. He continued to try and piss people off and put up the second one about burning in hell.

Well he wanted a reaction and he has certainly got it. He's home address and business name was being posted all over twitter last night.

A grown man with nearly 30k tweets, he would want to go away and have a word with himself.

I'm just glad the mask is slipping off these fianna fail guys before they get elected, and not after as usually happens!

Right - yeah ok - you agree with threats to beat him up and kill him - great

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Whilst he deserved to be taken to account for his comments, especially when using an account linked to FF. He has been. His foray into politics is over, he has been chastised by the Party and has been humiliated. I really think anything else is witch hunt territory.
    Between that and the Paris Brown story, shows how a couple of ill judged tweets can destroy your life in minutes. Sobering.

Right - yeah ok - you agree with threats to beat him up and kill him - great

Where did I say that, don't put the FF twist on my words!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

What a horrible beast Fianna Fail is . It is riddled with people like this.

lol his political career is not over, he'll be back I'm sure.

Whatever he gets serves him right... if you believe the threats are serious you should think again its just people being pissed off and reacting angrily.

He has, for a long time, acted like a bit of a prick on twitter and when commenting on the journal, he just finally went too far but its been coming.

Although I would have put comments like that down as more of a stickie or blueshirt thing but I'm not too surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Committee of 20 is not the National Executive, it is one constituency of it. There are more than 80 members representing constituencies, Councillors, Oireachtas, officers and there are 3 for particular skillsets at the gift of the newly elected executive.

I contested elections (unsuccessfully) last year. There were 37 of us and the count went until about 11pm Sunday evening.

In relation to dynasties, it's not an issue, I didn't even know Hugh had family connections and very few do at this point. Comments in relation to a dyed in the wool candidate are at odds with the fact that candidate was previously a member of another political party.

I've been known to have my differences and disagreements on the direction that Micheal Martin has taken the party on certain issues, but there's no doubting I find that he has done better to date than I expected. There is no longer a culture where the leader is infallible and that is due to him creating that culture (not that it was ever really that big an issue outside if the parliamentary party).

Comments made by Stephen Kearon would not be representative of any significant number of members, or even Stephen himself I'd say after he thought about it.

The reason there are Oireachtas members who don't have to contest elections is because of the number of them contesting equalling the number f available seats for Oireachtas members.

I think if people approached the party with an open mind in issues, they would find it's not as cloak and dagger as it's made out to be.

• Advertisement

Bull**** he has made comments like that for years

Advertisement