Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

confused about length of time on jobseekers benefit

• 22-03-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction for information please.
    I'm trying to find out when I'll be a year unemployed.

I'm currently interviewing at the moment and a prospective employer asked me if I knew when I'd be a year unemployed as there are significant benefits to them hiring someone unemployed for a year or more.

I was made redundant April 1st 2012.

I phoned my local social welfare office but they told me I have another 51 days to go on jobseekers benefit because I was working part-time. That would bring me up to middle of May.

I phoned the revenue and they said that as far as they're concerned I'm unemployed from April 1st, they don't care what the social welfare office told me.

Does anyone know which information is correct as I'm being called for a second interview and would like to have that information for them.

Many Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

you will have been geting UB for 12 months on april 2nd. thats what your prospective employer want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

does the fact i was working casually have any bearing on that length of time though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Were you working casually since you were made redundant on April 1st 2012 if yes then you havent been unemployed for 12 months.

eastbono wrote: »
    Were you working casually since you were made redundant on April 1st 2012 if yes then you havent been unemployed for 12 months.

no i haven't been working casually since april.
    i think it was september, one or two days a week.
    one of the days was a sunday, sometimes only a sunday.

ellejay wrote: »
    one of the days was a sunday, sometimes only a sunday.[/QUOT

From the info you supplied you will be fully unemployed 1 year on 2nd April 2013. It doesnt matter how many days you have left on your jsb claim your P45 will show your last day of employment.

The only thing I would be worried about is that the employer is looking for someone who has been on the live register for 1 year. If that is the case were you claiming jsb while you were working casually? How long have you been on jsb? You may have re-qualified at some stage for jsb and that is why you have 51 days left on your jsb claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You are considered to be on claim 12 months when you reach 312 days. If you are fully unemployed that takes 12 months. As you were working casually you have used up less days that is why you have 51 days left. Once you get to 312 days your JB claim will expire and you might re qualify for JSB (if you have 13 paid contributions after you reached 156 days on claim) otherwise you will have to apply for JSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Elle jay, an employer can apply for revenue job assist for taking somebody on who has been unemployed for over a year. There are also benefits for the employee. Look it up as I dont know how to throw a link up here.

I myself am just back to work after 15 months out and have applied for it, I get extra tax credits for 3 years but job must last 12 months minimum.

Again all details are on the revenue site.

Elle jay, an employer can apply for revenue job assist for taking somebody on who has been unemployed for over a year. There are also benefits for the employee. Look it up as I dont know how to throw a link up here.

I myself am just back to work after 15 months out and have applied for it, I get extra tax credits for 3 years but job must last 12 months minimum.

Again all details are on the revenue site.

Thanks for replies everyone
    My query though is, from the revenue's point of view, will I be a year unemployed April 1st, even though I've been working casually since september.

I understand that from the Social Welfare's point of view my jobseekers benefit claim can be extended because of my casual employment, I have extra days to "claim" for.

But I'm not inerested in extending claim, I hope to be employed very soon.

I'm guess I'm trying figure out what "criteria" do the Revenue use to consider my length of unemployment. Eg, will I be required to have claimed 312 days on jobseekers.

Thanks for all replies.

Thanks for replies everyone
    My query though is, from the revenue's point of view, will I be a year unemployed April 1st, even though I've been working casually since september.

I understand that from the Social Welfare's point of view my jobseekers benefit claim can be extended because of my casual employment, I have extra days to "claim" for.

But I'm not inerested in extending claim, I hope to be employed very soon.

I'm guess I'm trying figure out what "criteria" do the Revenue use to consider my length of unemployment. Eg, will I be required to have claimed 312 days on jobseekers.

Thanks for all replies.

You will be 12 months unemployed in April 2013. The last day you worked was 1st April 2012. The date on your p45 is what revenue go with.

one of the days was a sunday, sometimes only a sunday.[/QUOT

From the info you supplied you will be fully unemployed 1 year on 2nd April 2013. It doesnt matter how many days you have left on your jsb claim your P45 will show your last day of employment.

The only thing I would be worried about is that the employer is looking for someone who has been on the live register for 1 year. If that is the case were you claiming jsb while you were working casually? How long have you been on jsb? You may have re-qualified at some stage for jsb and that is why you have 51 days left on your jsb claim.

No in fairness to the employer, they pointed it out to me so that I could claim extra tax credits regardless of me getting that job or not. I can honestly say they're not particularly looking for soemone to be a year or more unemployed.

I've been on jsb since April 1st, I didn't start working casually until September.

• Advertisement

You will be 12 months unemployed in April 2013. The last day you worked was 1st April 2012. The date on your p45 is what revenue go with.

thanks for that

If its revenue job assist that you will be applying for then have a look at the link below. It states you have to be in receipt of jsb or jsa for 12 months or more.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Revenue-Job-Assist.aspx

I cant understand why you have 51 days left on your jsb claim if you made your claim straight away in April last year when you were made unemployed...your jsb claim should be exhausting in April of this year.

Advertisement