Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbal Warning and Job Seeking

Options
  • 22-03-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give a little advice. I'm a student and I have a part time retail job that I absolutely love and really do well in. However, the hours I've been getting in the past two to three months have not been sufficient in terms of the money I need to keep my car on the road etc. (Nobody is to suggest "just get rid of the car." I need it, end of!)

I was thinking of applying for another part time job in another retailer who I know is hiring at the moment. They are offering 20-35 hours a week, with a higher wage per hour than my current job. I would keep my current job, but just work my bare contract hours per week. A couple of other do this already and it's not a problem. However, unfortunately I had two discrepancies on my till a couple of weeks apart, and as per procedure I had to be issued with a verbal warning which will remain on my file for three months. This was highly unusual for me, as I haven't had even one tiny mistake on my till in the entire year and a half that I've worked there before, but it was just one of those things that happens I suppose.

Sorry to be long-winded, what I'm basically asking is would this warning impact on my chances of getting another job? Could management mention it if they were called about a reference?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Even in the US let alone the EU thats not something they can mention during a reference call. That write-up is for company-internal record keeping only.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply Overheal! That's a relief! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Overheal wrote: »
    Even in the US let alone the EU thats not something they can mention during a reference call. That write-up is for company-internal record keeping only.

Ahh, I don't think that is correct.

A referee cannot make things up. But they can tell the truth. So if they're asked "does X have any warnings on file", then the answer would be "yes". And if they're asked "would you hire X again", they can say "No, because s/he's got two warning on file".

That said, I'm not sure how often reference checks for these types of positions go to that level of detail.

So ... my advice is nothing ventured, nothing gained. Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Couldn't you just tell them that you'd rather not let the current place know that you're jobseeking? And give them a different reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies!

@ Mrs O Bumble: To be honest, I wouldn't be worried about them telling anyone that they wouldn't hire me again. I am very hard working and consistent throughout all other aspects my job entails, and have been told so on numerous occasions by management. Also I've only one warning, not two on my file. You're right though, I can't imagine they would be so specific when calling about a reference for a sales assistant position.

@ Fluffy Bunny Rabid: Also, there's no way I could leave them out as a reference. This is my first and only proper job, and the name and reputation of this company in terms of customer service etc is a huge advantage on my CV. I don't want to leave this job completely, hence I would work my contract hours once a week, while working the rest of the time in a different company if I manage to get hired by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Not sure if this helps but, I've been told that now a days most companies don't give refs, they may only confirm that x had worked here for x amount of time.

it seems if you don't get a job because of bad refs you can take legal action to whom ever gave the refs, but then again to prove x gave someone bad ref is another thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mtjm wrote: »
    it seems if you don't get a job because of bad refs you can take legal action to whom ever gave the refs, but then again to prove x gave someone bad ref is another thing
    More to do with what you can prove; if I say you were a hardworking person who put your back into everything (this being all true) and you turned around at your new job and pulled sickies, browsed youtube all day etc. I'd be just as liable for the reference. That is also why most companies move to job title A, start date, end date only because that can be proven; everything else is much harder to have a hard proof of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Ahh, I don't think that is correct.

A referee cannot make things up. But they can tell the truth. So if they're asked "does X have any warnings on file", then the answer would be "yes". And if they're asked "would you hire X again", they can say "No, because s/he's got two warning on file".

That said, I'm not sure how often reference checks for these types of positions go to that level.
    that's correct, there are set questions for a verbal reference. I've never heard of 'does x have warnings on file' but it may come up in 'do you have any hesitation recommending x for a position as a sales assistant'. Unlikely though as if it's one warning, it doesn't show a consistent pattern of behaviour. I'd say you'll be grand.

Advertisement