Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Layout Suggestions

Options
  • 22-03-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi There,
    Little roofer help please if possible! We're doing an extension on our 3 bed semi-d.

We've a tiny back garden but loads of space to the front, so would like to encorporate that if possible by extending to the front slightly (neighbours have done something similar, so I dont think it would be too big an issue from a planning perspective).

I've attached a basic picture of what we currently have, and the 2 proposals. Proposal 1, simple straight across. Proposal 2, going in to the front a bit more.

Proposal 2 is obviously more complex though... do you think the costs would be significantly greater going this way, as the roof is trickier, or are there many other gotchas to be aware of?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,537 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you should get it designed to suit your needs.

yes proposal 2 would cost more pro rata than proposal one, but thats no reason to discount it.

you need to assess why proposal 2 is better than proposal 1, and then decide if extra cost is worth it..... either than or design proposal 2 so that its costs the same as proposal 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mapera

Thanks Syd,
    Well proposal 2 is better for a number of reasons. Aside from the additional space if you saw the site it would make more sense. The house is on a triangular site, so moving the extension forward gives us more room to build a small garage in line with the front of the house, you'll see what i mean by my rather crude drawing attached, red line is the boundary wall.

Just really trying to figure out if it's worth doing, based upon the cost.
    Ta,
    Alan

mapera wrote: »
    Thanks Syd,
    Well proposal 2 is better for a number of reasons. Aside from the additional space if you saw the site it would make more sense. The house is on a triangular site, so moving the extension forward gives us more room to build a small garage in line with the front of the house, you'll see what i mean by my rather crude drawing attached, red line is the boundary wall.

Just really trying to figure out if it's worth doing, based upon the cost.
    Ta,
    Alan

well with the bolded bit above, i think you've answered your own question.

you're building an extra 60ish sq ft.. id probably put an extra 6-8% per sq ft on top of the proposal 1 costs.....

in the grand scheme of things if its the better option its the one you should go with. If it turns out that you cant afford the extra, the so be it.

But at the moment it only exists on paper so its easily changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

You are going to have 2 different wallplate levels with proposal 2 . This will add to your costs. Plus it may not look great.

paulmallon wrote: »
    You are going to have 2 different wallplate levels with proposal 2 . This will add to your costs. Plus it may not look great.

perhaps this arrangement would work better?

• Advertisement
Advertisement