Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho: FIFA award was fixed

• 22-03-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭

Jose Mourinho says he did not attend January's Ballon d'Or ceremony as the vote had been fixed to allow Spain manager Vicente Del Bosque win the 2012 Coach of the Year award.

At the time, although one of the three nominees for the award, Mourinho said he did not travel to Zurich as he was preparing for his club's Copa del Rey second leg against Celta Vigo, which Madrid won 4-0 two days later. Spanish paper AS then published photos of the Portuguese watching his son's team play at the same time as the awards were being handed out.

Mourinho said in an interview with Portuguese TV station RTP aired on Tuesday night that his real reason for staying away from the FIFA ceremony was that he had been told by a number of people that their votes for him had been changed - presumably in favour of Del Bosque.

"One, two or three people called me to tell me they had voted for me, but another person's name had appeared in their votes," Mourinho said. "[So] I decided not to go. I am accusing FIFA of irregularities in the choice of the best coach in the world. There was a lack of transparency. FIFA knows about these irregularities, it knows they existed, and it did not avoid them."

Del Bosque won the 2012 award with 34.51% of the 505 votes cast by international managers, players and journalists, ahead of 20.49% for Mourinho, and 12.91% for former Barcelona and future Bayern Munich coach Josep Guardiola. RTP reportedly checked the accusation of irregularities with FIFA, and the governing body maintained the vote had been above aboard.

In a statement, it said: "FIFA confirms that the list of votes published on FIFA.com is accurate."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1381794/jose-mourinho:-fifa-coach-of-year-award-was-fixed?cc=4716

During the time of the awards there were rumors that players who voted for Ronaldo was changed to Messi. It didn't gather any pace. Now Jose said it and recently Pandev said he voted for Jose but his vote was changed to Del Bosque.

Also,
    Tancredi Palmeri
    A possible huge twist in the Pandev-Fifa case:here a comparison between his signature(left)and the one under his vote
    BF97yvqCMAAbMOl.jpg:large
    So: if that fax Fifa showed is true,and if the signatures are different,have the Macedonia FA faked the vote? And if yes, why? Who asked?

If true, really pathetic. Changing votes to elect winner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That left signature looks like a 5 year old trying to write his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

A bunch of kids squabbling about who has the most signatures in their school yearbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

How can he claim Del Bosque doesn't deserve the award :/
    Foolish Mou!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

How did Guardiola finish third? Finished a long way (9 points, I think) behind Madrid in the league and were knocked out of the CL in the semi finals. Surely Di Matteo was more successful, winning the FA Cup and CL, Klopp with a league and cup double and then leading Dortmund through a tough CL group this season. I'm sure there's more but that's just two examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    How can he claim Del Bosque doesn't deserve the award :/
    Foolish Mou!

:rolleyes:

Thats clearly not what he was saying. To quote Clint Eastwood, "Deserves got nothing to do with it".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

FIFA love to nominate their big names like Guardiola etc when of course Klopp, Di Matteo even Mancini were a lot more deserving of the Coach of the Year award than Guardiola would have been..

Its the same as guys like Balotelli being nominated for the Ballon D'Or, hes popular, playing for a big club and is high profile, so he gets nominated, even though the whole world knows he wasnt in the top 20 players last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like those people who were talking to Mourinho were telling some porkies. "I voted for you, I really did. They must have changed my vote." Yeah right, pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Anyone watch that documentary on Mourinho on itv4 the other night?

He really is something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ramon Calderon had a real dig at Florentino Perez and he timed it nicely. He claimed he didn't want to sign Ronaldo and also had the following to say
    Calderon also took time to hit out at Madrid coach Jose Mourinho, following his recent claim that the FIFA Coach of the Year award was rigged.
    "He is boring. He requires leadership and he misses the point more often than he should," Calderon said. "To behave according to the greatness of Madrid, you have to be a part of its history, like Del Bosque. Del Bosque will be a part of this history, but the other one won't be.
    "Florentino is guilty of allowing Mourinho's actions. Everyone knew what Mourinho was. He behaved badly at Inter, Chelsea…in Madrid it would not be different. Florentino already knew what we would be exposed to. He was in a desperate situation."
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1384281/calderon:-perez-did-not-want-to-sign-cristiano-ronaldo?cc=5739

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

:rolleyes:

Thats clearly not what he was saying. To quote Clint Eastwood, "Deserves got nothing to do with it".

you sure that was clint eastwood?
    i'm fair sure snoop from the wire said that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Anyone watch that documentary on Mourinho on itv4 the other night?

He really is something..

Yeah,I watched it. No doubt he's a great coach/manager but a very classless individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FIFA fixing something would come as no shock at all tbh, so he may have a point.

I would say themselves and UEFA Are experts at it by now.

But it would carry more weight if the people who had their vote changed came out and said it themselves. Mou saying this is taken with a pinch of salt as we all know he will never name them (maybe they don't exist?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

NIMAN wrote: »
    But it would carry more weight if the people who had their vote changed came out and said it themselves. Mou saying this is taken with a pinch of salt as we all know he will never name them (maybe they don't exist?).
    Pandev has
    “I don’t want to leave an official statement right now, because tonight we have an important game against Belgium,” Pandev told Calciomercato.com. “I can only say that on that fax it is not my signature. Mourinho is my preferred candidate, everyone knows it.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will be swept under the carpet like everything else. You just have to look at this thread to see how these things are not taken seriously by football fans. Instead of taking the accusations seriously, football fans will use it as an opportunity to points score and attack Mourinho's character.

Just like Trapattoni in 2002 and Chelsea against Barcelona in 2009, football fans will attack the accuser and not the accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

I'm predicting it now..

Mourinho will turn into a Howard Hughes type where he will see the whole world against him, eventually seeing him turn into a social recluse.. Then to return to management years later with some obscure team ready for his comeback :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jethro081 wrote: »
    you sure that was clint eastwood?
    i'm fair sure snoop from the wire said that.

You're kidding right? Kids these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDkYZWeeVg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ramon Calderon had a real dig at Florentino Perez and he timed it nicely. He claimed he didn't want to sign Ronaldo and also had the following to say

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1384281/calderon:-perez-did-not-want-to-sign-cristiano-ronaldo?cc=5739

Jesus that is some amount of verbal diarrhoea from Calderon. 'To behave according to the greatness of Madrid you have to be a part of its history...' What a load of bollocks, but very typical of a lot of Real Madrid fans, especially those who throw on their finest furs and treat football as some form of opera.

A lot of Real Madrid fans want Mourinho gone because they feel the way he behaves brings shame on the club. What they don't realise is that it's the very shady relationship with Franco combined with the overwhelming arrogance that brings shame on the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

carlop wrote: »
    Jesus that is some amount of verbal diarrhoea from Calderon. 'To behave according to the greatness of Madrid you have to be a part of its history...' What a load of bollocks, but very typical of a lot of Real Madrid fans, especially those who throw on their finest furs and treat football as some form of opera.

This is the same Calderon that referred to David Beckham as nothing more than an average cinema actor working in Hollywood, is known to refer to Barcelona as 'the peasants' of Spanish football and publicly tapped up Cristiano Ronald for months on end.

Also ironically left Real Madrid off the back of allegations of vote-rigging in the RM board room.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

i am covered in scaldie shame.

i love unforgiven, don't know how that slipped my mind. in my defence though, i am watching the wire right now. so maybe i can have a pass for that. (she definitely does say it in the wire too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I thought we had seen the last of WillMunny in this forum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4563/main/2013/03/30/3864792/macedonia-confirm-pandev-voted-for-mourinho?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_1

Just an honest mistake :rolleyes:

I wonder are there any other players who wont speak out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

FIFA love to nominate their big names like Guardiola etc when of course Klopp, Di Matteo even Mancini were a lot more deserving of the Coach of the Year award than Guardiola would have been..
    Exactly. I mean they short-listed Ferguson for the 2012 award even though his team won nothing during the year.

For the record the Irish votes for Coach of the Year were like this:
    Trap - 1 Guardiola!!!! 2 Del Bosque 3 Ferguson!!!!
    Keane - 1 Del Bosque 2 Di Matteo 3 Ferguson!!!
    Magee & Kelly - 1 Del Bosque 2 Mourinho 3 Di Matteo

IMO only the media guys got it right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ridiculously suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

marbless wrote: »
    Exactly. I mean they short-listed Ferguson for the 2012 award even though his team won nothing during the year.

For the record the Irish votes for Coach of the Year were like this:
    Trap - 1 Guardiola!!!! 2 Del Bosque 3 Ferguson!!!!
    Keane - 1 Del Bosque 2 Di Matteo 3 Ferguson!!!
    Magee & Kelly - 1 Del Bosque 2 Mourinho 3 Di Matteo

IMO only the media guys got it right....

Are you actually saying it's suspicious that Giovanni Trappatoni and Robbie Keane's votes for manager of the year are stupid? :pac: Jesus, people will use anything to try and drag Fergie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The OP wrote:
    Jose Mourinho says he did not attend January's Ballon d'Or ceremony as the vote had been fixed to allow Spain manager Vicente Del Bosque win the 2012 Coach of the Year award.
    So Mourinho knew that the vote was fixed in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Liam O wrote: »
    Are you actually saying it's suspicious that Giovanni Trappatoni and Robbie Keane's votes for manager of the year are stupid? :pac: Jesus, people will use anything to try and drag Fergie down.
    I'm saying three things.
    1. Neither Guardiola or Ferguson should have been short-listed by FIFA in the first place, since the award is meant to be for given for achievements during the year 2012 and neither man achieved anything. Pep has been taking a break since May, in fact.
    2. Therefore, for Trap to pick Guardiola as coach of the year 2012 seems daft, and for Keane to rank Fergie ahead of others who led their teams to trophies (Mourinho, Klopp, etc) shows little grasp of who did what during the year in question.
    3. The vote of the media lads looks well informed and thought through.

That's what I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Reekwind wrote: »
    So Mourinho knew that the vote was fixed in advance?

That sort of what Sid Lowe said about it, Mourinho was saying these people told him that their votes had been changed; but this was before the votes were made public or whatever, so how would they know...

so he was saying Mourinho was just making an excuse for not going because he knew he wouldn't win anyway

something like that anyway

Advertisement