Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One person can only do so much.

Options
  • 22-03-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Jst looking for a little outside perspective.

I work 12-15 days a month. Most others work 20-25days. I am happy not working more days and am paid only for the days i work.
    In those 12 days i do payroll and associated paperwork and revenuereturns for 3companies 2 are monthly one is fortnightly. I do a full set of management accountsh detailed analysis. I write up purchase listing onto excel for 2 companies and also sales listing and complie vat returns bi-monthly. I manually do up bank listings and reconcilliatiins for 2companies.
    I would also be doing up full sets of accounts at year end for 3-4 companies and also am given various other sets of accounts to compile from scratch. Or head out to audits which may take at least 3-4days.

Ive noticed the past while collegues are asking what my workload is in order to see if i can take extra work but i say im too busy as im constantly chasing my tail.
    Ive had a few comments of we all have huge workload but they have more days to do it.

I really only take extras from my boss. The others think i do nothing and its so frustrating.

Am i right to b pissed off or am i being unreasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

No,being pissed off is pointless.

This is just a communications problem.

Find a way to communicate to your colleagues about your workload.

You need to find a common frame of reference to show that you work as hard as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

Are you the only one doing accounts OP or are there others? Is this extra work anything to do with accounts or are the others just trying to offload admin work etc?

TBH the only person I'd be discussing my workload with is my boss, not my co-workers. (co-workers who aren't on my team/department etc that is!)

Next time someone other than the boss asks about your workload, simple answer, 'Payroll, you do want to get paid this month, don't you?':D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If anyone (your immediately colleagues included) asks questions about your workload or if you can take on more, then don't get into discussions about it, just refer them to your manager.

If you're under pressure, then you should keep a log of exactly what you're doing and what's taking up time, and figure out how to remove the blockers/delays.

Also, I notice that you say most people do 20-25 days/month. Does that mean they are working weekends / six-day weeks? 'Cos if it's a Mon-Fri gig, then months only have 19-22 work days in them. (Just something to keep in mind.)

Advertisement