Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grad Dip/MA Journalism. Interview next week

Options
  • 22-03-2013 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I have an interview next week, and just wondering what I should be looking out for.

Obviously, I'll look at what's topical in the news at the moment, as well as preparing for a question on why I want to become a journalist.

Is there a dress code for these interviews?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Brushing up on what's in the news at the moment is a good start as this will almost inevitably be asked. It's also likely that the interviewers will have noted your previous course(s) and aptitudes - I did Business before going for the Journalism MA and I was asked to name two business stories in the news that week.

If you have any previous experience in journalism, even something like An Focal, this will also count in your favour and is likely to be noted by the interviewers.

As for the dress code, my advice is to take no chances and go full whack on suit and tie.

Any other questions, feel free to ask (PMs will do if you wish) and best of luck with the interview! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have previous arts, technical writing experience, so will draw on those...
    I did get stuff published in an focal but WAY back in the 90s....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

tbh you're mad to do it. I'm in the BA but the MA is easily one of the worst MA programs in the college

Why is that? Did you not get a job out of it or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why is that? Did you not get a job out of it or something?

No I'm in 4th year of the BA. Of the 4 years I've been doing that I think only a handful of MA's have gone on to get secure employment in journalism after it

• Advertisement

That shouldn't be a shock to you though. It's like studying music and hoping to get a full time job out of it after college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

trouttrout wrote: »
    No I'm in 4th year of the BA. Of the 4 years I've been doing that I think only a handful of MA's have gone on to get secure employment in journalism after it

While Seachto7 is mad to consider journalism I'm not sure if the course in UL is that bad. In fact, nobody coming out of journalism course is guaranteed a secured job anymore.

I did my MA in Galway and I really regret it from a career point of view, the course was terribly run and we were left fend for ourselves completely.

So while I daresay DCU and Griffith are probably best for contacts, the UL MA is probably one of the least worst.

Good luck Seachto :) I hope things work out better for you than they have for me so far!

Well, that's like anything these days. Should I be going back to study something just because it will get me a job or should I do what I really want/like to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 journograd

UL's masters in journalism is terrible - I should know I did it. It's the worst programme in the country, do not do it if you life depended on it. The BA programme, from what the students on it say, is really good, but the MA is terrible - STAY WELL AWAY FROM IT. One of my classmates tried to get an unpaid work placement in a local newspaper and the editor told her he wouldn't take her - and it was UNPAID!!! - because he had such a terrible experience from UL masters students in the past.
    The BA students seem to get the best lecturers, and the best facilities, there is no radio or TV at all in the masters programme. All the cool visitors such as Robert Fisk and Fintan O'Toole and Garret Fitzgerald are for the BA classes. A lot of the BA journalism grads got jobs from what I heard, but MA grads cant get even unpaid work experience. I hear the MA in DCU is the best MA, and their BA is poor, so it's the opposite of UL - if you want to do a MA in Journalism do it in DCU, not UL.

Well, that's like anything these days. Should I be going back to study something just because it will get me a job or should I do what I really want/like to do.....

To answer your question, it would be good if you could BOTH enjoy the MA and get a job out of it. You would actually damage your employment prospects with a postgrad from UL. Seriously go anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Jeez. That's a pretty bad review of the course. I can't afford to go to Dublin full time to do it. UL is my only option unless you can recommend a distance learning course....

Jeez. That's a pretty bad review of the course. I can't afford to go to Dublin full time to do it. UL is my only option unless you can recommend a distance learning course....
    I cant (recommend a distance learning course) becaue I dont know anything about them. But if I had my time again, I'd do something in multimedia journalism, the work is in online - especially if you can edit video/handle tweetdeck - as well as the traditional journalism skills.

Interesting. I'll look into it. My background is online so would like to get into writing online too. (not only online though)

Interesting. I'll look into it. My background is online so would like to get into writing online too. (not only online though)

journograd wrote: »
    I cant (recommend a distance learning course) becaue I dont know anything about them. But if I had my time again, I'd do something in multimedia journalism, the work is in online - especially if you can edit video/handle tweetdeck - as well as the traditional journalism skills.

Must look into this. I've been working in online marketing, and see this as an immediate/obvious route I could exploit. I'd like to get into writing online, be it commercial writing or whatever.....

Well, I got accepted to the UL course. I'm not expecting to walk into a journalism job after it. Anyone who does do BA or an MA in Journalism who thinks it's a case of finishing and walking into a job needs a reality check. It's the same as an Arts degree or any other degree these days!

I would aim to combine it with my languages, tech writing, radio experience, and work experience to date....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Well, I got accepted to the UL course. I'm not expecting to walk into a journalism job after it. Anyone who does do BA or an MA in Journalism who thinks it's a case of finishing and walking into a job needs a reality check. It's the same as an Arts degree or any other degree these days!

I would aim to combine it with my languages, tech writing, radio experience, and work experience to date....

Good luck Seachto and congratulations!

Tbh I know there was a horror story above but I remained convinced that there is hardly anywhere outside Dublin WITHOUT a bad reputation.

It's a hard nut to crack but keep going and it's good to be open to other things, I'm on a PR type placement atm!

It is a hard nut to crack but fast forward 5 years and what environment would I like to be working in?

Congratulations and the very best of luck with it!

I did that very course and while I didn't go straight into a journalism post I had pieces published and made contacts which have since gotten me into the industry, so lucky and all as I was, there is definitely hope and I wish you the same fortune that I had

Cheers Green Giant. A somewhat silly question perhaps, but what was the workload like? As in, could I keep on some part time work....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Hey! Hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread Seachto7 but I've been following the thread for a while. What was the interview like in the end? Any tough questions? Did you have to have a portfolio or anything? Was there many applying for it?

I'm in my 2nd year BA in Mary I and am considering my options for after I graduate. UL was obviously the closest option but after hearing all the stories I'm a bit confused as to what to do.

I suppose everyone will have different experiences of course. I won't comment on my original undergrad and post grad.... :/

The interview was as expected. If you do a search on boards, it goes through what you would be asked. I had a portfolio from radio, but not a huge amount. I am not sure how many applied. There was just one other guy with me on the day I did it.

I also had some work experience to draw on. I'm 30 + VAT!

Yeah I've looked through the interview Qs before. Just happy to hear there was nothing majorly difficult to throw you off track. I'm a good public speaker but interviews scare the bejesus outta me.

By the time I graduate I'll have a few more modules clocked up. Nothing major but a few weeks at a time of using different software and having something to show for it in the end.
    I also had some work experience to draw on. I'm 30 + VAT!

Lol. I know it's a long way away and I might not go down that route but I'll be 28 when I graduate so I can't afford not to make plans. At least now I know to get my arse in gear and get some non college stuff to present.

Cheers! And goo luck with it. :)

Yeah, get some stuff together if you have it. Maybe submit some written stuff voluntarily somewhere, or get involved in community radio?

I worked with Wired FM in college last year but I didn't keep it on this year because of family stuff so while it won't be recent I'll at least have some radio. I better get writing though.

Thanks for your help. You're as handy as a small pot! :D

Well, I hadn't done radio in a while either, but it helped a great deal that I kept copies of the shows.

Cheers Green Giant. A somewhat silly question perhaps, but what was the workload like? As in, could I keep on some part time work....

A small bit of night-time and weekend work should be OK. Some of my classmates were in that boat and got through it with no real fuss.

The workload isn't overly taxing really, but at times it can be a real juggling act between modules and, while this may seem insultingly obvious, it is vital to start assignments as early as possible to give yourself every bit of time you need because, inevitably, something will work against you that holds you up. I learned that the hard way!

Also you can expect to work under time pressure right from day one - probably comes as par for the course in journalism, an industry that involves some duck's arse-tight deadlines.

Hopefully I haven't scared you too much! :p

Quick one. Anyone know if you have to do a work placement for the Grad Dip?

Not sure if it's compulsory but you would be very silly not to go on placement, especially when the university will send your portfolio to papers/radio stations to try and secure an interview for you.

The 4-week placement I had this time last year was arguably the best thing I've ever done. Made me realise that journalism is certainly the path I want to travel.

• Advertisement

Is it during or after the course you would have to do it? The reason I ask is because I have foreign languages, so was thinking of getting in touch with some English language publications abroad maybe. Just to suss things out. But if I knew roughly when the placements are, I could put something more concrete together.

Advertisement