Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choices-Business or Religion

Options
  • 22-03-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys!
    I'm in ty right now and we're making our leaving cert subject choices.
    My plan is to choose economics, music, german and either religion or business?
    I have my heart set on doing economics because I'm good at it but I'm wondering is business and economics a bit too much business subjects? Will it get too much considering that there's supposed to be so much learning off in business? Would I be better off keeping on religion as an exam subject since it's considered one of the 'easier' lc subjects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hey , i did business since 5th year and then this year i took up economics , i always loved business and haven't found it too difficult but you have to learn specific definitions off ,the amount of people who get an A in business is a bit lower than other subjects, economics and business have a few similar aspects but they don't overlap much ,the course layouts are quite similar though. I like doing both economics and business together but i have never done religion so i don't know? i think if you are better at learning off definitions/paragraphs business or economics would be good or if you are better at essays religion would be good, if you have any questions about the actual courses just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beccalikewha

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hey , i did business since 5th year and then this year i took up economics , i always loved business and haven't found it too difficult but you have to learn specific definitions off ,the amount of people who get an A in business is a bit lower than other subjects, economics and business have a few similar aspects but they don't overlap much ,the course layouts are quite similar though. I like doing both economics and business together but i have never done religion so i don't know? i think if you are better at learning off definitions/paragraphs business or economics would be good or if you are better at essays religion would be good, if you have any questions about the actual courses just ask :)

Thanks! Yeah I think it would be better to take business because I'm not too fond of essays lol
    What makes business so hard, like why aren't there many A's?
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

Business Studies is marked on a bell curve so the number of As is decided on and kept that way from year to year(as are most LC subjects). This however means that getting a B is extremely achievable for all students. Doing business studies will stand to you much better when you go into college (regardless of course nature) than if you do Religion. And even thereafter, employers are acutely aware of the fact that many students, when given the option, opt for "easy" subjects in the leaving cert and are likely to be far more impressed if you do Business studies as opposed to a subject like Religion.
    Economics and Business barely even related(Teachers etc like to group things into little sections, ie/ science-y/maths-y, business-y. where in reality they've very little in common {Chemistry and Physics can hardly be considered similar for example}). The economics LC course is barely economics at all for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Thanks! Yeah I think it would be better to take business because I'm not too fond of essays lol
    What makes business so hard, like why aren't there many A's?
    :p

Just my experience , most people in my class thought well you only need to learn it off from the book so its easy ,but they were surprised when they got their results back and it was terrible. They mark the exam with a very specific and precise scheme , you need to have certain words in definitions which you can't make up- i had to spend more time on business than my other subjects but i'm not trying to put you off because i liked the subject at the same time :P

Business Studies is marked on a bell curve so the number of As is decided on and kept that way from year to year(as are most LC subjects). This however means that getting a B is extremely achievable for all students. Doing business studies will stand to you much better when you go into college (regardless of course nature) than if you do Religion. And even thereafter, employers are acutely aware of the fact that many students, when given the option, opt for "easy" subjects in the leaving cert and are likely to be far more impressed if you do Business studies as opposed to a subject like Religion.
    Economics and Business barely even related(Teachers etc like to group things into little sections, ie/ science-y/maths-y, business-y. where in reality they've very little in common {Chemistry and Physics can hardly be considered similar for example}). The economics LC course is barely economics at all for that matter.

Yeah I was thinking that but I sort of want an 'easy' subject because I'm planning on doing higher Irish and I need to work hard on OL maths.. but I'm still not sure..
    and so if lc economics is barely economics, and if I went to do it in college, I'd be literally starting again? Would it not be a good foundation?

• Advertisement

So business is just marked really then? Yeah I was thinking that but I sort of want an 'easy' subject because I'm planning on doing higher Irish and I need to work hard on OL maths.. but I'm still not sure..
    and so if lc economics is barely economics, and if I went to do it in college, I'd be literally starting again? Would it not be a good foundation?

Leaving cert economics is very basic. It bares almost no resemblance to what is done in college but at the same time is a good foundation for more complicated concepts which you wouldn't have in the LC.
    Business can be learned off very easily, and although definitions may appear daunting at first, they're very conquerable without a whole lot of effort. I think it's fair to say that Religion probably has as much if not more work and learning off involved in it than BS, hence the quotation marks over the word easy! Religion while it's content may be more simple involves much more consistent work to be done on it than Business.

Regarding the marking, it's not actually marked that hard, it's just that because so many people do it, they've designed the bell curve to give a smaller percentage of A's in the subject. On the flip-side, subjects like Accounting and Physics which far fewer students do have about 20% A's every year. The whole "marked hard" thing is in essence a myth. If you have the right answer down, you'll get the marks, this is especially true for something as formulaic as Business.

Just my experience , most people in my class thought well you only need to learn it off from the book so its easy ,but they were surprised when they got their results back and it was terrible. They mark the exam with a very specific and precise scheme , you need to have certain words in definitions which you can't make up- i had to spend more time on business than my other subjects but i'm not trying to put you off because i liked the subject at the same time :P
    Oh God :confused: So compared to most subjects, how much more longer did it take to study business?:pac:

Well, clearly the issue was that they just learned things off incorrectly and cut corners?

Leaving cert economics is very basic. It bares almost no resemblance to what is done in college but at the same time is a good foundation for more complicated concepts which you wouldn't have in the LC.
    Business can be learned off very easily, and although definitions may appear daunting at first, they're very conquerable without a whole lot of effort. I think it's fair to say that Religion probably has as much if not more work and learning off involved in it than BS, hence the quotation marks over the word easy! Religion while it's content may be more simple involves much more consistent work to be done on it than Business.

Regarding the marking, it's not actually marked that hard, it's just that because so many people do it, they've designed the bell curve to give a smaller percentage of A's in the subject. On the flip-side, subjects like Accounting and Physics which far fewer students do have about 20% A's every year. The whole "marked hard" thing is in essence a myth. If you have the right answer down, you'll get the marks, this is especially true for something as formulaic as Business.

Ok, thanks! Business it is I think :P

Advertisement