Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection unstable after power cut

Options
  • 22-03-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

With the windy weather last night, there was a power cut here in Portlaoise at about 10pm last night.  The power only went for a couple of seconds before coming back on but, since then, my connection hasn't been working properly.  It had been working perfectly fine before that.

What happens is, when you turn the modem (Netopia 2247) off and back on again, the DSL light initally flashes for a few seconds and then stops and stays green, as normal, and then the internet light turns green too, as if it's all connected properly.  But, after a few seconds, the internet light turns red and the DSL light starts flashing again and it does this for ages as it tries to
    sync up on the other end again.  Every now and again it will appear to be connected properly and the internet light will turn green again, only for it to turn red again after another few seconds and the whole loop continues.  It can keep on doing this for ages until it finally gets a stable connection and stays on properly and I'm then able to go online (like now, for example).  It can be okay then and useable for anything from just a few minutes or for many hours, the length of time it stays on varies, but eventually at some point it will drop again, end up going into that whole loop of trying to connect again for ages until it does and then will work okay for another while.  Up until last night, I hadn't had any problems with the connection remaining stable and staying on all the time.

I've tried resetting everything, tried a different modem, different DSL filters, different cables and checked there was a dial-tone using a phone plugged in (there is and I can make and receive calls) and everything else I can and it's all the same so it's a not a problem with the equipment here or my computer.  There appears to be some sort of problem on the eircom side of things with the DSL managing to get a stable connection.  As I said, this only started last night after the power cut so I can only assume that may have had something to do with it.  I live in a cul-de-sac where the cables are underground, not strung overhead, so it's not as if branches falling on the lines could have taken them out but I don't know if that may have happened elsewhere in the area and may have affected us here somehow.

If you could get this checked for me and fixed, I'd appreciate it very much.  Let me know which eircom rep on here is looking into this for me and I will pm you my details straight away.  Thanks.

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

With the windy weather last night, there was a power cut here in Portlaoise at about 10pm last night.  The power only went for a couple of seconds before coming back on but, since then, my connection hasn't been working properly.  It had been working perfectly fine before that.

What happens is, when you turn the modem (Netopia 2247) off and back on again, the DSL light initally flashes for a few seconds and then stops and stays green, as normal, and then the internet light turns green too, as if it's all connected properly.  But, after a few seconds, the internet light turns red and the DSL light starts flashing again and it does this for ages as it tries to
    sync up on the other end again.  Every now and again it will appear to be connected properly and the internet light will turn green again, only for it to turn red again after another few seconds and the whole loop continues.  It can keep on doing this for ages until it finally gets a stable connection and stays on properly and I'm then able to go online (like now, for example).  It can be okay then and useable for anything from just a few minutes or for many hours, the length of time it stays on varies, but eventually at some point it will drop again, end up going into that whole loop of trying to connect again for ages until it does and then will work okay for another while.  Up until last night, I hadn't had any problems with the connection remaining stable and staying on all the time.

I've tried resetting everything, tried a different modem, different DSL filters, different cables and checked there was a dial-tone using a phone plugged in (there is and I can make and receive calls) and everything else I can and it's all the same so it's a not a problem with the equipment here or my computer.  There appears to be some sort of problem on the eircom side of things with the DSL managing to get a stable connection.  As I said, this only started last night after the power cut so I can only assume that may have had something to do with it.  I live in a cul-de-sac where the cables are underground, not strung overhead, so it's not as if branches falling on the lines could have taken them out but I don't know if that may have happened elsewhere in the area and may have affected us here somehow.

If you could get this checked for me and fixed, I'd appreciate it very much.  Let me know which eircom rep on here is looking into this for me and I will pm you my details straight away.  Thanks.

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.

Hi Adrian,

I ran some checks and there does seem to be a possible issue on your line. Broadband support advised it may be best to call them on 1890 260 260, so they can log the case - Run a few direct checks and escalate to an engineer if required.

Let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.

Hi Adrian,

I see you called broadband support. They have escalated the case to engineers REF: 11703485

I will track the case & keep you posted.

Thanks, Mark

I ran some checks and there does seem to be a possible issue on your line. Broadband support advised it may be best to call them on 1890 260 260, so they can log the case - Run a few direct checks and escalate to an engineer if required.

Let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to let you know that everything seems to be fixed now.  The guys had a hell of a job trying to get it sorted, though.  They checked everything here at the house, turns out it was all fine here and it was a problem somewhere along the line coming to the road or at the exchange and they spent the past couple of days trying to track the fault down; checking cables, connections, changing ports at the exchange, etc., etc.  Fair play to them, though, they kept at it and the connection seems stronger and faster than ever before now.

Beforehand, (on a good day, if I was lucky, with a fair wind blowing :D ), the most I would normally get was around 4 to 5Mbps.  Ran speedtests from various websites with the laptop right beside the router and I seem to be getting in or around 7Mbps now, with an upload of about 410 to 450kbps.  On the desktop PC upstairs, I'm getting 5.7 to 6.5Mbps, though the wireless signal to that is fairly weak so it's not surprising it would be a bit lower there anyway but it's still much better than it was before.  It will be interesting to see what happens later this evening or over the bank holiday weekend when there will be more people sharing the line and how much it'll slow down for me then but I'll let you know what the results of that are anyway.  Right now I'm just happy to have the connection working properly and stable again with a better speed than before.

I just want to confirm with you that I'm not going to be charged for all this work, though.  When I contacted customer support on Monday, I specifically asked the guy I spoke to if there would be any charges for the engineer call out or any repairs that need to be made to the line.  I was told that, no, as long as it's not through another broadband provider (e.g. Vodafone, UTV, Sky) or non-eircom equipment is involved, there would be no charge.  I just want you to confirm that is indeed the case and that I won't be getting any nasty surprises on my next bill! ;)  :D  Thanks.

Anyway, I just wanted to update you on this and thank you for following up on it for me.

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to let you know that everything seems to be fixed now.  The guys had a hell of a job trying to get it sorted, though.  They checked everything here at the house, turns out it was all fine here and it was a problem somewhere along the line coming to the road or at the exchange and they spent the past couple of days trying to track the fault down; checking cables, connections, changing ports at the exchange, etc., etc.  Fair play to them, though, they kept at it and the connection seems stronger and faster than ever before now.

Beforehand, (on a good day, if I was lucky, with a fair wind blowing ), the most I would normally get was around 4 to 5Mbps.  Ran speedtests from various websites with the laptop right beside the router and I seem to be getting in or around 7Mbps now, with an upload of about 410 to 450kbps.  On the desktop PC upstairs, I'm getting 5.7 to 6.5Mbps, though the wireless signal to that is fairly weak so it's not surprising it would be a bit lower there anyway but it's still much better than it was before.  It will be interesting to see what happens later this evening or over the bank holiday weekend when there will be more people sharing the line and how much it'll slow down for me then but I'll let you know what the results of that are anyway.  Right now I'm just happy to have the connection working properly and stable again with a better speed than before.

I just want to confirm with you that I'm not going to be charged for all this work, though.  When I contacted customer support on Monday, I specifically asked the guy I spoke to if there would be any charges for the engineer call out or any repairs that need to be made to the line.  I was told that, no, as long as it's not through another broadband provider (e.g. Vodafone, UTV, Sky) or non-eircom equipment is involved, there would be no charge.  I just want you to confirm that is indeed the case and that I won't be getting any nasty surprises on my next bill!     Thanks.

Anyway, I just wanted to update you on this and thank you for following up on it for me.

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.
    Hi aidan_dunne

Many thanks for the positive feedback which I will pass on to Mark.

Also, I can confirm that you will not be charged for the repair of your line and I'm happy to hear normal service has resumed.

Kind regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Thanks for getting back to me, Alan, and letting me know there won't be any unexpected charges on my next bill.  That's certainly a relief!  :D

Once again, thanks to you and Mark for your help and prompt responses.

Regards,

Aidan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks for getting back to me, Alan, and letting me know there won't be any unexpected charges on my next bill.  That's certainly a relief!  

Once again, thanks to you and Mark for your help and prompt responses.

Regards,

Aidan.

No worries Aidan,

We're very happy to help,

Best wishes

Al

Advertisement