Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Government says the Economy is getting better do you believe them?

• 22-03-2013 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I will start with my opinion I know when they are lying because their mouths are moving.

They have guaranteed pensions unlike the rest of us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they are basing it all on exports; which are slowing

the domestic economy is in tatters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Employment rising.

Balance of trade at record levels.

Unemployment dropping slowly.

Public finances back under control.

Tax returns pretty much on target or slightly ahead.

Inflation not really a problem.

Reputation internationally recovering quickly.

Regular reports of long term job creation (not construction)

Good levels of inward investment.

IMF to be gone soon as we are more and more taking care of our own borrowing on international markets.

Its about as good as could be expected considering the state it was in when the present administration took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We are depending on the American economy to recover,who are waiting on the Europeans who in turn are all waiting on the Chinese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

Yes, I believe them. I also believe Jedward are straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Yeah there has been a steady decline in the domestic economy with the current administration throwing all their eggs into the export economy. It now appears that even exports are starting to slow. There is still an unhealthy number of SMEs going out of business and the reduction in unemployment figures are a result of emigration. While they have certainly done well in convincing the markets about the deficit they have failed miserably with regards improving the overall economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Employment rising.

IMF to be gone soon as we are more and more taking care of our own borrowing on international markets.

Its about as good as could be expected considering the state it was in when the present administration took over.

For once an unbiased, non-sensationalist and factual statement about our economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    Yes, I believe them. I also believe Jedward are straight.

Spit prize awarded to this poster.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Employment rising.

I will remind you of all you typed when we receive another bailout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I have no experience with, or understanding of, these complex issues.

So what I believe is irrelevant when contrasted with the opinions of experts.

Bet you never thought you'd read that on the internet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Employment rising.

Cheers for this. Good to hear the positives every once in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

no,everything is based on exports,just like the housing market,things like that cannot last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

hallo dare wrote: »
    no,everything is based on exports,just like the housing market,things like that cannot last

Ireland is a small open economy which relies on exports. Of course exports last, it just depends on the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Why is that then? Are all other countries going to cease to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ktm

Employment rising.

Hi Enda, how was Paddys Day in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

Seachmall wrote: »
    I have no experience with, or understanding of, these complex issues.

So what I believe is irrelevant when contrasted with the opinions of experts.

Bet you never thought you'd read that on the internet!!

Let's be honest... This applies to 99% of after hours/ the general public

Our economy has always been export drivin, this goes right back to the time of Lemass who was responsible for opening up and expanding our trade links.

Of course being a small exporting nation, there will always be fluctuations in the demand from larger markets.

No Irish government will ever be able to control this external factor.

We have always been on a wing and a prayer as regards to this, and chances are thats never going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We've turned a corner.

Unemployment is down by 3%, exports are up 7% and tax takings are up 17%.*

We had a soft landing after all.

* figures may not be correct as I pulled them out of my ass, not unlike a lot of the 'factoids' on this thread

did they expect for all the youth to leave the country. all eggs cannot be placed in one basket as before. where was this thriving export market in relation to the housing market back in the good days.

ktm wrote: »
    Hi Enda, how was Paddys Day in the states?
    Can't speak for Enda, but my St. Patricks Day was spent driving a truck around the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Our economy has always been export drivin, this goes right back to the time of Lemass who was responsible for opening up and expanding our trade links.

Of course being a small exporting nation, there will always be fluctuations in the demand from larger markets.

No Irish government will ever be able to control this external factor.

We have always been on a wing and a prayer as regards to this, and chances are thats never going to change.

While we cant control the external factor, we can limit its effect on us, and successive governments over many many years have done so. We now export to a large variety of markets, so when one does have issues we have at least got alternatives.

Thank **** we arent tied to the UK as much as we were, they will be the next economy to go imo. Sterling is under pressure, their rating is getting downgraded and the panic has hit as can be seen in their latest budget.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Ireland is a small open economy which relies on exports. Of course exports last, it just depends on the quality.

and do you honestly thing that quality is going to be here in years to come.with the youth getting driven out and cuts to education,not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We'll remain fooked until they stop doing comedy gigs at the ECB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

kneemos wrote: »
    We are depending on the American economy to recover,who are waiting on the Europeans who in turn are all waiting on the Chinese.

Feck 'em then order an Indian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I guess they mean that exports can fluctuate depending on supply and demand and can disappear under certain conditions to certain buyers. An example would be beef exports to certain countries after the BSE scandal. Also if the country your exporting to goes into recession exports can reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭frfintanstack

they are basing it all on exports; which are slowing

the domestic economy is in tatters

Didnt GNP grow by over 3% last year?

Anyone wrote: »

Thank **** we arent tied to the UK as much as we were, they will be the next economy to go imo. Sterling is under pressure, their rating is getting downgraded and the panic has hit as can be seen in their latest budget.

:confused: W.T.F? You do realise they're our biggest trading partner? :confused:

did they expect for all the youth to leave the country. all eggs cannot be placed in one basket as before. where was this thriving export market in relation to the housing market back in the good days.
    It went through the floor.

The balance of trade was a minus.

This was because our rates of pay sky rocketed on the back of an unsustainable boom and the emergence of cheaper labour markets which resulted in large manufacturing business moving abroad.

Dell to Poland for example.

Didnt GNP grow by over 3% last year?

And Pinocchio's nose grew by even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    :confused: W.T.F? You do realise they're our biggest trading partner? :confused:

They used to be our ONLY trading partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's that based on? The rate of unemployment is greater now than it was in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Yes the economy is ok if you are a footloose, fancy free multinational :D Flat market but ticking over.

If you are in the domestic market with rent seeking govt, rising costs and f/all sales ....

The individual citizen in Ireland is being screwed.

Can't complain though, coz we're all in this together :p

SD

Anyone wrote: »
    While we cant control the external factor, we can limit its effect on us, and successive governments over many many years have done so. We now export to a large variety of markets, so when one does have issues we have at least got alternatives.
    Point taken.

Of course we have endured the usual week long weeping and wailing around here about ministers going off to far flung places for St. Patricks day.

These trips are vital to forge and enhance these trade links.

Its the one day of the year when Ireland is on the world stage and it must be used to our advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It went through the floor.

The balance of trade was a minus.

This was because our rates of pay sky rocketed on the back of an unsustainable boom and the emergence of cheaper labour markets which resulted in large manufacturing business moving abroad.

Dell to Poland for example.

Does that not prove that the ordinary worker does not really benefit from high exports only big business :rolleyes:

What's that based on? The rate of unemployment is greater now than it was in 2011.
    Live reister figures.

http://www.thejournal.ie/live-register-figures-december-740412-Jan2013/

Unadjusted figures show there were 423,733 people signing on the live
    register in December – a year-on-year decrease of 2.5 per cent.

"Unadjusted figures" plus it doesn't take into account the number of people that have left the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

-Ireland GDP Growth this year downgraded from 1% to 0.1%

- Emmigration is at famine levels with roughly 200 people leaving our shores every day.
    - The unemployment rate has more than trebled to more than 14 per cent since early 2008.
    -We are facing the worst emigration crisis in the history of the State and it still has not peaked yet.

-Ireland, despite our population of less than 5 million, which is less than the population of London, is paying 42% of the entire Eurozone debt.

-Naturally, because we are being bled for every cent that we have.

Inflation not really a problem
    -Yes, because our domestic economy is in tatters.

-Our government is mostly consisted of primary school teachers who know nothing about governing and do a good job of being subservient to financial institutions, the ECB and Merkel, the world sees us as docile and submissive, what a wonderful reputation....

-We are now experiencing the biggest wave of foreclosures in the nation’s history, with domestic businesses closing and people being evicted from their homes.

-Within the last year, due to the closure of HMV and Game combined with the withdrawal of inward investment and significant cuts, over 5000 jobs are being lost

-The Irish people will be paying the massive debt of EUR180 Billion excluding interest for over the next 25 years, with a bank debt accrued by financial speculators who should have been liable for their own losses, instead we have been made liable for a debt that is not ours and that our future generations will have to pay off, what planet are you living on?

-Sure, keep telling yourself that

Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

LOL ATTACK! :pac:

This deserves post of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The Government says the Economy is getting better do you believe them?

The same people that say that it's "morally wrong to tax a persons home", "not another cent " and promised to protect child benefit and the disabled?

Yeah, of course I believe them. :rolleyes:

I don't hear them say that they can now reduce their target of a billion in savings by the same percentage. When they start spending money on things that matter, including roads etc, then they can say that the economy is getting better.
    To me it's a lot like saying that my bank account is a lot healthier this month. I didn't buy any food for my children and they're starving but at least my bank account looks better.

Does that not prove that the ordinary worker does not really benefit from high exports only big business :rolleyes:
    Does the ordinary worker not benefit by being employed in the manufacture of these exports.
    :rolleyes:

Well played sir.

In the words of Eric Morecambe; "well theres no amswer to that!"

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss.
    Closure of HMV and Game

You are obviously being hit where it hurts chief!

• Advertisement

Does the ordinary worker not benefit by being employed in the manufacture of these exports.

Well played sir.

So employment is good enough is it then. If thats so everyone can come work for me in the morning at 0.000001 cent an hour :D Unemployment solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I fully believe the economy is stabilising day by day and that when they reduce the budget by a further 3-6 billion next year there will be almost no effect on the domestic economy. It will still be stable. Fcuked, but stable. As in not dissapearing totally down the plughole. Well, totally is a big ask, I'll go for fully.

Drakares wrote: »

LOL ATTACK! :pac:

This deserves post of the day

explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

You are obviously being hit where it hurts chief!

Merely the more notable examples people would be familiar with. I shouldn't have to spell that out for you.

But if that is your attempt at contradicting what I said, then all I can say is keep up the hard work ,you will get there eventually, I know it is difficult for you party stooges. ;)

So employment is good enough is it then. If thats so everyone can come work for me in the morning at 0.000001 cent an hour :D Unemployment solved
    We have this thing in Ireland called the minimum wage.
    Most manufacturing jobs in Ireland would pay possibly a euro or two more per hour.

Being employed is good enough for me. I make a decent wage for hard work.

What more do you think I should be expecting in the current climate?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well played sir.

You obviously have a grasp of these issues. Get out of AH while you can, man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Do yo still count as an unemployed person if your on jobbridge? If not that would make the unemployement figures look a lot better, aswell as all the emigration of course:eek:

I was signing on tuesday the amount of people still signing on is just unreal, Anyone ever seen clondalkin post office of a tuesday morning :eek::eek:

On After Hours we seem to disagree with just about everything.

There are sensitive subjects that require the answer that would be an ecumenical matter.

However on the subject of government we can all agree they are useless at best.

Maybe we should pick our rulers by message board.

We have this thing in Ireland called the minimum wage.
    Most manufacturing jobs in Ireland would pay possibly a euro or two more per hour.

Being employed is good enough for me. I make a decent wage for hard work.

What more do you think I should be expecting in the current climate?

I thought a lot of dell employees were on min wage. No? maybe Im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When I hear about a drop in the numbers of people unemployed I always wonder:

a. How many of those have emigrated?

b. Are people on Fas courses or Internships included in the live register figures?

I've seen so many big high street shops close and the majority of shops that are opening seem to be 2 euro shops and cash for gold shops. I don't think many of us believe that the economy is anywhere but in the toilet and doesn't look like getting a lot better any time soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement