Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing up an '82 Vespa px125 - Total Beginner

• 22-03-2013 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

x27ac7.jpg

So, about six years ago I purchased the above mentioned Vespa from a mate for €400. It would not start at the time, and he was informed that something with the ignition was the problem, as the engine was fine.

However, not long after buying it, I moved to Dublin, and the bike remained under a cover for all this time.

So, I am now back home, and I would like to tackle this project, as I am out of work and would like something to occupy my mind.

As well as getting the bike to start, I would also need to tackle the aesthetic problems the bike has, but starting the bike comes first. I also purchased an early 80's Haynes manual for the bike, when I got the bike, so I do have a guide of sorts. However, I have zero experience of this type of thing.

So, would this be too technical a challenge for someone of my experience? Next to that bike is a shed with a workbench and various tools and bits. I just lack experience. I was wondering if there are any good tutorial videos online, maybe a Youtube channel? There are billions of Vespa videos on there, hard to trawl through, maybe someone knows a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

At this stage I'd suggest bringing it to someone like Noel Quinn/ GMC motorcycles on Tramore Rd. He's into classic bikes, oddball stuff and scooters and he's pretty reasonably priced. I'd start by bringing it to someone like that who can tell you if it's fooked or not and give you an assessment of how difficult it would be to get roadworthy and give you a point in the right direction. A lot depends on how knacky/ mechanical you are generally. If it's fundamentally sound I don't see why you couldn't fettle it into good condition if a grown-up could get it started and running for you. Noel also teaches a motorcycle maintenance class but I think he's halfway through a new term at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

cantdecide wrote: »
    At this stage I'd suggest bringing it to someone like Noel Quinn/ GMC motorcycles on Tramore Rd. He's into classic bikes, oddball stuff and scooters and he's pretty reasonably priced. I'd start by bringing it to someone like that who can tell you if it's fooked or not and give you an assessment of how difficult it would be to get roadworthy and give you a point in the right direction. A lot depends on how knacky/ mechanical you are generally. If it's fundamentally sound I don't see why you couldn't fettle it into good condition if a grown-up could get it started and running for you. Noel also teaches a motorcycle maintenance class but I think he's halfway through a new term at the moment...

I'm based in Cork now, he near Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm based in Cork now, he near Cork?

Yup. Tramore Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rubber duk

Hi there, nice looking bike. I had a couple back in the day, I wouldn't bring it anywhere just yet, if you can remove the right side panel we might be able to get her running, it might be something small....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

rubber duk wrote: »
    Hi there, nice looking bike. I had a couple back in the day, I wouldn't bring it anywhere just yet, if you can remove the right side panel we might be able to get her running, it might be something small....

You want me to take shots of under there? I will pop them up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Walt Jabsco

Here is Vespa Club Of Ireland's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/vespaclubofireland/?fref=ts
    I know there is a Scooter Club in Cork called The Rebels S.C. So maybe one of them could offer advice.
    Best of look with it, Hope you get it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

if its a px it'll start handy enough as long as its not proper ****ed.
    step 1 drain the tank.
    step 2 clean the carb.
    step 3 new plug.
    step 4 new petrol, 2% mixture
    step 5 turn the key in the ignition, turn on the petrol, pull out the choke and give it a few kicks.

see how you get on. all the above is handy enough with a socket set and Haynes manual. keep us in the loop. a good site to join is modern vespa

• Registered Users Posts: 24 toadinhole

Hi,cool scooter,first thing i would try is remove the side covers to get to its guts,remove the spark plug from the cylinder head,connect the spark plug back to the ignition lead with the body of the spark plug touching the cyl head so it earths,then gently with your hand press on the kick starter to see if the engine will turn easily and freely or remove the flywheel cover and see if the flywheel will turn,if it turns freely with no scraping noises next thing is to check if the engine has any compression,if you have got this far you have a good chance of getting it running as you have patience
    there is no point doing anything else if there is not enough compression to ignite a fuel mixture,if there is good compression find out why it had stopped sparking ,if it is a points model it maybe as simple as cleaning the points
    if you want to remove the ignition flywheel get the proper pullers do not try to use anything else,if there is a local vespa club or forum join it someone will lend you the tools or help you
    the carb will need to be removed for cleaning ,after 6 years of no use there may be things growing inside it ,if you take it off the engine put a rag over the inlet otherwise something will jump in there
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rubber duk

The lads beat me to it, deffo check the plug first, it's the easiest. Follow the lead from the plug it should go into a black unit which should be earthed, check the earth wire it sometimes becomes disconnected. Let us know how you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vespa cutdown

hi im in the rebels sc i could have a look at the bike for you if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

get onto the forum on www.vespaclubofireland.com its a quiet enough forum but i find it good for technical stuff and in cork you will find someone whos willing to call over and help out, another great site is www.scooterhelp.com, i find it a lot easier and clearer than the haynes manual, im living in cork city and wouldnt mind giving you a hand with it at all, maybe even a rough diagnosis, ive been building and tinkering with vespa engines for about 5 years now :)

pretty much everything can be gotten brand new for that bike aswell so the cosmetics wont be too hard to sort.

noel in GMC is a very sound bloke aswell, hes a bike shop first and foremost but hes about the only place in cork who will touch classic scooters, your next option is dave power in dungarvan who is a very well regarded vespa mechanic.

if you need any help send me a PM and we can organise somthing

Advertisement