Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman avoids jail after 'catapulting' man off bike due to poor visibility

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

some of the judges we have in this country are a public menace entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Being discussed in the cycling forum. She saw kids playing by the road, heard a loud bump (which cracked her windscreen) and drove on. Reported the incident 4 hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

humbert wrote: »
    Being discussed in the cycling forum. She saw kids playing by the road, heard a loud bump (which cracked her windscreen) and drove on. Reported the incident 4 hours later.
    So she was banned for 4 years in 2010 that means she was driving while banned and gets off a hit and run

Gatling wrote: »
    So she was banned for 4 years in 2010 that means she was driving while banned and gets off a hit and run

Na, it seems that the ban came into effect shortly after this incident. It does show that she has form when it comes to reckless driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Gatling wrote: »

No she knocked over a retired man off his bike left him with serious injuries and pleaded guilty in court in October 2010..then got banned from driving for failing to give a breath sample in December 2010(so she was drunk) yet she still gets no punishment and will be back on the road in less than 2 years..lovely.

How can she be allowed back on the road like this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

What has the point of she got knocked up at 17 got to do with anything, seriously, surely she should be more worried about running a child down being a single parent.

Dopey Cu**

Na, it seems that the ban came into effect shortly after this incident. It does show that she has form when it comes to reckless driving.
    So when your banned your not actually banned till certain calendar date I always thought it was immediate ,and not even a word on compensation for the poor chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

No she knocked over a retired man off his bike left him with serious injuries and pleaded guilty in court in October 2010..then got banned from driving for failing to give a breath sample in December 2010(so she was drunk) yet she still gets no punishment and will be back on the road in less than 2 years..lovely.

How can she be allowed back on the road like this??

She's been banned for 10 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

kraggy wrote: »

Apologies, that wasn't mentioned in the Independent article but I see it here now

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »

When she decides to ohhh I'm better i want to appeal my overly harsh driving ban now ,he gets smashed legs and brain damage she get's a new car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

a life ban for say third serious driving offence , I mean no insurance. drink driving hit and run,

Maybe a gentle approach for first offence , heavy fine for second and go medieval the third time. time for irish people to learn some personal responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Apologies, that wasn't mentioned in the Independent article but I see it here now

It is in the Independent article?

Anyway, this quote just shocks me;
    After King entered into her bond Judge McCartan told her; “You made a dreadful mistake but put it behind you. I believe you have the resilience to do so. Everything else about you impresses me.”

Good lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I wonder why this made the paper.

A friend of mine knocked over an old lady, there was no mention in the paper and no talk of all of a jail sentence. His insurance had to make a payout. That's all.

Weird.

A friend of mine knocked over an old lady, there was no mention in the paper and no talk of all of a jail sentence. His insurance had to make a payout. That's all.

Weird.
    Did your friend stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

After King entered into her bond Judge McCartan told her; “You made a dreadful mistake but put it behind you. I believe you have the resilience to do so. Everything else about you impresses me.”

WHAT THE ACTUAL FCUK ???

is she blowing the judge or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Did your friend stop?

He stopped once he hit her I believe.

Did he give birth at 17

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

this is "hit", no "run"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Weird.

was your friend prosecuted through the courts ? that would be the difference ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Somebody needs to look at this judge to see if they are fit to sit in judgement going forward, a disgraceful sentence and some of his comments are unforgivable as the injured party is still very much suffering.

wtf.

"Mr Comiskey O’Keefe said his client became pregnant with her first child when she was 17 years old but sat the Leaving Certificate two weeks after giving birth."

That's like saying she fuked her life up but did something worthwhile two weeks later to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How nice of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So...

woman knocks guy down, drives off with cracked windscreen (which was already fogged up) and then decided to report it hours later (while already under a driving ban). She basically gets away with it (while pleading guilty) due to some very stupid decisions and the fact she had a child aged 17, while an innocent?

Ireland, never change. A paragon of justice and fair treatment for those clearly in the right. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

entropi wrote: »
    So...

woman knocks guy down, drives off with cracked windscreen (which was already fogged up) and then decided to report it hours later (while already under a driving ban). She basically gets away with it (while pleading guilty) due to some very stupid decisions and the fact she had a child aged 17, while an innocent?

Ireland, never change. A paragon of justice and fair treatment for those clearly in the right. :mad:

There should be some sort of 'fitness to practice' hearings for a judge like this. In many other professions if you make a mistake/judgement as bad as this particular case, you'd be hauled up in front of one very quickly and suspended until so. Making judges accountable and not virtually invincible is the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The mother of two pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing serious harm and apologised in Court saying “I am not a person who would hurt another human being.”

http://www.98fm.com/2013/category-news-sport/cyclist/

Oh, really? You did. You left him Brain damaged, and drove away from the scene.

No justice was done in that Court when she escaped Prison.

Montroseee wrote: »
    There should be some sort of 'fitness to practice' hearings for a judge like this. In many other professions if you make a mistake/judgement as bad as this particular case, you'd be hauled up in front of one very quickly and suspended until so. Making judges accountable and not virtually invincible is the way forward.

Unfortunately, accountability only applies to the private sector

Well, that is one of the problems with a democracy. You can't truly have nobody fully accountable if they hold a position of power.

Who in turn, is able to allow judges the ability to practice, when they themselves would be deemed to be the most qualified in the profession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

a life ban for say third serious driving offence , I mean no insurance. drink driving hit and run,

No insurance is a serious driving offence?

• Advertisement

Of course it is, if a person is driving without insurance and injures someone in a crash, the taxpayer will be picking up the compensation bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

People like this are a menace to every other road user around.
    I mean what sort of half-wit drives around not being able to see out the windscreen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    People like this are a menace to every other road user around.
    I mean what sort of half-wit drives around not being able to see out the windscreen.

One that is a serious danger to other road users and should never be given the opportunity to drive again.

Well, yes it is, say for instance your in an accident. Now having insurance means that if you are at fault any injured party will have recourse to compensation, no insurance means a double whammy on the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I hate these pointless pieces in news articles.

Mr Comiskey O’Keefe said his client became pregnant with her first child when she was 17 years old but sat the Leaving Certificate two weeks after giving birth.

Nabber wrote: »

Mr Comiskey O’Keefe said his client became pregnant with her first child when she was 17 years old but sat the Leaving Certificate two weeks after giving birth.
    They always play the sympathy card, seems to work on most judgements :rolleyes:

She's guilty, admitted it, and should have been jailed for it.

• Advertisement

One that is a serious danger to other road users and should never be given the opportunity to drive again.

Yes indeed, and she'll be at it again in a few short years no doubt. But it's all good apparrently, having your own business and a child at 17 absolves one from everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Did she at least have to cover the victims medical bills? 12 months of treatment can't be cheap...

Did she at least have to cover the victims medical bills? 12 months of treatment can't be cheap...

Seemingly not, I'm sure it was either the victim's own health insurance or the taxpayer covering that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I'm confused , was she banned or not ? :(

King, a mother of two, of Riverside, Clondalkin, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing serious harm on Monastery Road, Clondalkin on October 16, 2010.

She had one previous conviction for failing to give a breath sample and was banned from driving for four years in December 2010.

If she hit the guy in October 2010 then that was before this was it not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I'm confused , was she banned or not ? :(

King, a mother of two, of Riverside, Clondalkin, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing serious harm on Monastery Road, Clondalkin on October 16, 2010.

She had one previous conviction for failing to give a breath sample and was banned from driving for four years in December 2010.

If she hit the guy in October 2010 then that was before this was it not ?

She might have been given some time to get her affairs in order before the ban took place. Either way she should be locked up, scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The garlic man... stupid judges

The garlic man... stupid judges

Sentencing is so wildly inconsistent, makes a joke of the whole system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How nice of him.

He stopped when he hit her.

What is exactly wrong with what was said?

Anybody that willingly drives with the window frozen over like that should be Jailed. I'm sorry, but it's colossal stupidity to drive a vehicle with no visibility.

How many kids she has, however, and when and with whom she had them has no relevance to this case.

Nabber wrote: »

Don't read the Indo then.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

When I read this earlier I thought; well maybe the wing mirror clipped his bike and sent him flying. If she had on her fans trying to clear her windscreen, it's very likely she wouldn't have heard anything.

But then, later in the story, it says that the passer who came on the man picked up the pieces off plastic, etc from her car..... so it was clearly a violent enough bang.....there is no way in fcukin hell you could just dismiss that kind of noise and think it's something not serious enough to stop and investigate. And you'd feel it in the car, lying b****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I guarantee if it had been a fella that hit this poor guy and drove off, he'd have had the book thrown at him.

Between crooked judges and incompetence like that displayed in this case, is it any wonder (like so much else about Ireland) "justice" is a joke :mad:

I'd say gender has nothing to do with this except perhaps he took the fact she was the sole carer for her kids into account.

After reading that article, I was slightly annoyed (and relived for the guy) that the reporting of mild brain damage seemed to be a bit sensationalist although that's not to excuse the driver in any way.

Looks like Judge McCartan has a soft spot for hit and run drivers, at least when cyclists are involved.

(before anyone says it, the cyclist obviously should have been lit up but that in no way excuses killing someone and driving on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Looks like Judge McCartan has a soft spot for hit and run drivers, at least when cyclists are involved.

(before anyone says it, the cyclist obviously should have been lit up but that in no way excuses killing someone and driving on)

TBH that sentence was a pretty good one. I wonder if exile would be a better deterrent to crime than imprisonment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I thought she only went to the Gardai when she saw her car smashed up because she thought her ex-boyfriend damaged it

Quotes from the Indo
    She noticed her windscreen was broken and assumed her former partner, who she had difficulties with in the past, had attacked her car...........................She said King arrived at the garda station four hours after the accident to report the damage done to her car.

When the garda examined the vehicle she realised it was the one that had been involved in the accident and cautioned King.

Also who the fcuk doesn't notice hitting something so hard that their wing mirror falls off? Or when you go to look in the wing mirros think to yourself, ' Wow,Shouldn't there be a mirror there?' :Pac:
    The same man also recovered debris from the road, which included a wing mirror and broken bits of plastic

• Advertisement
Advertisement