Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 1915 - 1949 in 20 Photos

Options
  • 22-03-2013 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a primary teacher and a friend of mine wants to get a basic knowledge of Irish history during the important period 1915-1949 ish especially.

She hasn't got a base knowledge and didnt study it in secondary. My knowledge of it would be based purely out of an interest in history and from teaching at 5th and 6th class level. So, I really enjoy it, but I'm no PhD holder.

I've offered to sit down with her for an hour over coffee, and using 20 photos, bring her up to speed with a general idea of the history of that period.

My question is what photos from the net would you suggest as guides in the conversation?! I actually think it might be good craic!

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

To be honest I think you would be better off dividing up that timeframe; the 1915-23 period is just too big to be lumped in with the next 20odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Its an interesting idea. Sounds more like a method of teaching children about a period of history, i.e. try and get their interest with pictures.

I would suggest WWI as a starting point.
    wwi_irish_recruiting_poster_mousepad-p144110943438715218eng3t_400.jpg
    There were many reasons why Irishmen joined the WWI fight, much more than is sometimes understood by people. The recruitment posters are a good way of understanding some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Then of course there is the Rising that occurred during WWI, which encapsulates some of the complications of Irish history 2 images in.
    375780_315050848580627_407639042_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its an interesting idea. Sounds more like a method of teaching children about a period of history, i.e. try and get their interest with pictures.

There were many reasons why Irishmen joined the WWI fight, much more than is sometimes understood by people. The recruitment posters are a good way of understanding some of them.

Well I will be using it again in my class, thats for sure. It just wont be as compact a run through as this one will be!

I use pictures and videos all the time in class and it works really well. Id normally have a year or so to get through this time period with my own gang so I can take it easy.

The castle document saga for example makes great stimulus for drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Pearce speaking at O'Donovan Rossa's funeral. 1915 Glasnevin

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAMtTIwyRXe6F7SQfFAtzZyRAWKEQ6UdPlPlz4ucv_MDjoiQD0Zg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Neutronale

Why have they got a man in a skirt representing Irish men...silly english overlords :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Neutronale wrote: »
    Why have they got a man in a skirt representing Irish men...silly english overlords :rolleyes:

Fr Niall Horan likes his kilt.
    Though the origins of the Irish kilt continue to be a subject of debate, current evidence suggests that kilts originated in the Scottish Highlands and Isles and were adopted by Irish nationalists at the turn of the 20th century as a symbol of Celtic identity.
    A garment that has often been mistaken for kilts in early depictions is the Irish 'Lein-croich', a long tunic traditionally made from solid colour cloth, with black, saffron and green being the most widely used colours. Solid coloured kilts were first adopted for use by Irish nationalists and thereafter by Irish regiments serving in the British Army, but they could often be seen in late 19th and early 20th century photos in Ireland especially at political and musical gatherings, as the kilt was re-adopted as a symbol of Gaelic nationalism in Ireland during this period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt#Kilts_in_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

We didn't have a war, just an 'Emergency'.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Irish_Army_Rolls-Royce_Armoured_Car_Co._Cork_1941.jpg

1932 Eucharistic Congress, the 2012 version wasn't quite on this scale.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6226/6324793041_12f5346495_z.jpg

1929 opening of Ardnacrusha, industrial history often gets ignored so putting this in here.

http://www.siemens.com/history/en/news/1123_shannon.htm

http://aritfa.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/264698.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Burning of Cork during the War of Independance
    the O'Higgins wedding prior to the guests turning on each other in the civil war
    The Catholic church

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Gives a good idea of the neglect of infrastructure by the new state
    Irelands_Rail_Network_1925-75.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Gives a good idea of the neglect of infrastructure by the new state

Surely you mean states?

Advertisement