Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the Stone Age Announce New Album

Options
  • 22-03-2013 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

It's been nearly six years since Queens of the Stone Age released their last full-length, Era Vulgaris. As Antiquiet points out, they've announced that their new album will be out in June. Refresh the band's website to hear a new snippet each time. According to Antiquiet, the album is called ...Like Clockwork, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

As mentioned, the band has undergone several lineup changes for this album. Along with confirmed guest spots from Trent Reznor, Elton John, and Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears, word surfaced in November that Dave Grohl drums on the album (replacing Joey Castillo, who left the band).

And the record also features the return of two former QOTSA members: Mark Lanegan, who has kept busy with solo releases, and bassist/vocalist Nick Oliveri, who was kicked out of the band in 2004 for allegedly abusing his girlfriend. In 2011, Oliveri again became entangled in serious legal issues when he was arrested for felony domestic violence, charged with four felonies, and ultimately sentenced to three years of probation.

As SPIN recently noted, the band has been sharing cryptic album details over the past several months, including a series of letters published in UK music magazines Kerrang, Uncut, and Mojo. (Check out the Kerrang note below.) They've described the music as "codeine cabaret" and accompanied their statements with images of clocks and a recurring theme of "nine." Header text for each article, when pieced together, reads "A Stitch In Time Will Save You 9, But.. Some Things You Can't Fix, So.. If You Find.."

After the note, watch QOTSA play "Avon" with Dave Grohl in 2002.

http://pitchfork.com/news/49536-queens-of-the-stone-age-announce-new-album-preview-new-music/

Great news imo, especially seeing Mark Lanegan back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This news has me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

6 years jeepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeow! Now to save up and see them way too often in one year. 6times last release, hopefully similar this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Bar a few songs , was disappointed with era vulgaris...hope this is better. Any idea why they chose grohl over joey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

About fúcking time. I'm almost pissed off at a bunch of people I don't know for taking so long to put an album out.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Bar a few songs , was disappointed with era vulgaris...hope this is better. Any idea why they chose grohl over joey?

I think Joey got married recently or has kids. He could still be the touring drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bar a few songs , was disappointed with era vulgaris...

Yeah, it was only ok and to be honest the second half of Lullabies to Paralyse was a bit crap too so it's really been over 10 years since the last great QOTSA album. I'm really looking forward to this one, even if Elton John is on it.

Can anyone hear any snippets when on the site? Its annoying me now.

Tis grand, got them on sound cloud via link on antiquiet! Sounds messed up, but its only 4-7 second clips, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

More info...

Like-Clockwork-Press.jpg

Mmm three savage drummers on the album, spoiled for choice.

• Advertisement

If lullabies.... were shorter , it would have been very good. IMO, it's still better than Era Vulgaris....

New AIC and new QOTSA. Happy out....

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

If lullabies.... were shorter , it would have been very good. IMO, it's still better than Era Vulgaris....

New AIC and new QOTSA. Happy out....

Took me a few years to get into Lullabies, (and I'm a massive fan of everything Homme), but SFTD was such a whopper album that any band would struggle to maintain or equal that.

Lullabies is a great album, some of mty faves are on there....

Burn the Witch / Someones in the Wolf / Broken Box / Long Slow Goodbye...

Era Vulgaris is really good too, a more "mature" album.

But I'm hoping Like Clockwork is going to make a cry like a new Dad.

I was under the impression that Joey quit, and it wasn't all good...?

I'd nearly say "Rated R" is better than SFTD......

I was under the impression that Joey quit, and it wasn't all good...?

I'd nearly say "Rated R" is better than SFTD......

My favourite is actually the debut. I just love You Can't Quit Me Baby

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Joey quit because he was sick of pulling double duty for Queens and EODM and wanted to spend some time at home with his family(specifically his hot wife).

I'm staying emotionally uninvested in how good this album is, I've leant my lesson and I'm sick of hype. Good luck to them.

Jon Theodore is like Neo-Bonham, so I'm happy with his addition; he can ****ing PLAY.

....(specifically his hot wife)....

whatever floats yer boat! :pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Am I the only one that loved era vulgaris? I love anything to do with Homme so this is most welcome news.

I was at the Olympia gig and it was something special. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Steve O wrote: »
    Am I the only one that loved era vulgaris? I love anything to do with Homme so this is most welcome news.

I was at the Olympia gig and it was something special. Looking forward to seeing them again.

I liked it. Its not as classic as other albums, but it is good. Misfit Love has a lot going for it.

Hopefully its an extensive tour...been too long.

Steve O wrote: »

Solid album, few tunes I'm not overally keen on. Takes a few spins to gel. First album is still their finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I loved some of it. I quite liked the mathrock approach the guitar playing took in parts. I think overall it's stronger than Lullabies but that Lullabies has better songs...if that makes any sense? EV seemed a more cohesive work, to me.

The best songs for Era Vulgaris weren't even included on the album - the title track and Fun Machine.

• Advertisement

New song called My God is the Sun played live. Proshot footage on YouTube. Id embed it but on mobile and very hungover...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izTIcnTquIU

Mushy wrote: »
    New song called My God is the Sun played live. Proshot footage on YouTube. Id embed it but on mobile and very hungover...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izTIcnTquIU

Sounds good. I presume the whole gig will appear on Youtube at some stage.

Yeah there was a live stream alright so hope it should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

So Theodore is the touring drummer, excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

New song sounds great there. Looking forward to seeing them, josh seems in great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

The quality of this album will be proportional to the amount of Oliveri involvement. His own stuff is ok but what he adds to QOTSA is pure menace.

The quality of this album will be proportional to the amount of Oliveri involvement. His own stuff is ok but what he adds to QOTSA is pure menace.

Hes only doing a vocal spot on it though.

http://www.mygodisthesun.com/

Studio version of the song played live recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Sounds good.

• Advertisement

Advertisement