Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the Stone Age Announce New Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Played another new track "If I Had A Tail"

Awesome really like that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Big fan of "I appear missing" the rest of the albums pretty good. Not amazing but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Love the new album. Smooth Sailing and Kalopsia are probably my favourites at the moment.

This is pretty much the best they've ever sounded live too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

'I Appear Missing' and 'Fairweather Friends' are my favourite tunes at the moment.

I like Nick Oliveri in 'Smooth Sailing' too. The song is a throwback to their 'Rated R' sound.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I like Nick Oliveri in 'Smooth Sailing' too. The song is a throwback to their 'Rated R' sound.
    I don't think Nick is on that one. He's meant to be on Fairweather Friends and If I Had A Tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Love the new album. Smooth Sailing and Kalopsia are probably my favourites at the moment.

This is pretty much the best they've ever sounded live too IMO.

Love Smooth Sailing, for me this is a real Joe Walsh number (pity he's not actually on it, if you're gonnna party with any of the Eagles...make it Mr. Walsh!!!)

Strange thing is the new songs are the best "sounding" on that Wiltern gig. (Maybe thats just my ears?!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Is the Irish release tomorrow or Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Albums are released in Ireland on Fridays, UK is Mondays and the US Tuesdays so should be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

sugarman wrote: »
    its probably a grower though,

I can confirm,yes it is.

Best QOTSA album yet.I've always liked them as a band but never really anticipated anything they've released but this latest work is an exception.Will still have some of these songs rattling in my head for ages.

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Albums are released in Ireland on Fridays, UK is Mondays and the US Tuesdays so should be tomorrow.
    That's what I thought alright. The only reason I ask is I enquired in my local Golden Disks, and they said June 1, which seemed strange. (The girl serving did look a bit clueless though)

Burky126 wrote: »

Best QOTSA album yet.

A bit early to be making claims like that I think. I like to give an album time and see do I still feel the same a month, 6 months, a year later as i did after tge dirst couple of listensbefore I give it a 'best' status. Just my way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

A bit early to be making claims like that I think. I like to give an album time and see do I still feel the same a month, 6 months, a year later as i did after tge dirst couple of listensbefore I give it a 'best' status. Just my way though.

Just my opinion.btw I've had this album on repeat for a week now which I've never really felt compelled doing with any of QOTSA previous releases.The tone on this album is just different to what I'm used to and you have to appreciate whenever a band does this and manages to do it well as they risk alienating a certain amount of listeners regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

I quite like the new stuff. A bit more of a throwback to Songs for the Deaf.

A slightly related topic...Kings of Leon had a new song on youtube recently..you'd swear it was a complete rip off of a QOTSA song.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

It's a frickin awesome album

Irish date should be announced soon :D Maybe today even along will the album?

Went straight to the top of the itunes album chart.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0601/454022-qotsa-frontman-talks-depression-and-firing/

Very strange reading a QOTSA (or any rock item for that matter) on the entertainment section of RTE's website. That's usually reserved for soap opera and crappy reality television show updates.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0601/454022-qotsa-frontman-talks-depression-and-firing/

Very strange reading a QOTSA (or any rock item for that matter) on the entertainment section of RTE's website. That's usually reserved for soap opera and crappy reality television show updates.

Thought it was just gonna be a summary of the Guardian interview. Tis a bit lazy, but at least they're getting press over here. I can see an o2 show being announced shortly!

I have had teh album on rotation since buying it Friday.

Brilliant. Different but brilliant.

Fairplay to J Ho, he hasn't released the same album twice.

Hopefully there will be a load of b sides and other songs to follow...(or do bands do that now with itunes et al?)

oldscoil wrote: »
    I have had teh album on rotation since buying it Friday.

Brilliant. Different but brilliant.

Fairplay to J Ho, he hasn't released the same album twice.

Hopefully there will be a load of b sides and other songs to follow...(or do bands do that now with itunes et al?)

They normally do have b-sides. But keep an eye out on the forums for them, that's where I had all of them from previous years.

Agree with what ya say on the album too!

• Advertisement

I think its more of a singing album then a guitar album.

Whereas I'd find myself humming the guitar intro to Millionaire (der neh neh neeeh neeeeh neeeh neeehhh neeeehh neeeh etc), I find myself singing al the bit to this album....

...perhaps with the exception of My God is The Sun, that calls for a "der-neh neh neh neeeh-neeeh neeeh-neeeh , der-neh neh neh neeeh-neeeh neeeh-neeeh, der-neh neh neh neeeh-neeeh neeeh-neeeh"

You wont find this kind of musical critique on the RTE website!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

To anyone who bought the cd was there any artwork/lyrics with this or was there just the slip within the cover?

fluke wrote: »
    To anyone who bought the cd was there any artwork/lyrics with this or was there just the slip within the cover?
    Just the slip.

Just the slip.

Okay - a bit light on the artwork for the cd format. Bit disappointed with that I have to say - the cover artwork is cool but was expecting song lyrics and accompanying artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

fluke wrote: »
    Okay - a bit light on the artwork for the cd format. Bit disappointed with that I have to say - the cover artwork is cool but was expecting song lyrics and accompanying artwork.

Dunno why its surprisin tbh , Songs for the deaf folded out to poster, Era Vulgaris included poster but artwork was on one single sheet, the only album I recall with the lyrics in it was Rated R

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

Dunno why its surprisin tbh , Songs for the deaf folded out to poster, Era Vulgaris included poster but artwork was on one single sheet, the only album I recall with the lyrics in it was Rated R

I never even knew this and I have Songs For The Deaf and Era Vulgaris, Delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Mushy wrote: »
    Thought it was just gonna be a summary of the Guardian interview. Tis a bit lazy, but at least they're getting press over here. I can see an o2 show being announced shortly!

Do we still do large scale outdoor venue gigs in this country? I effin despise the o2 with all my heart and soul.

Okay lyrics sheet I can do without, but the artwork for this format is lazy - just the cover and the cd itself have artwork. Christ even the original release of the self-titled album had more in it.

There may have been different version on release so, as the copy of Rated R I have has a breakdown of who played for each song, but there are no lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

There may have been different version on release so, as the copy of Rated R I have has a breakdown of who played for each song, but there are no lyrics.

Ya the copy I own is a 2 disc one (in red box as opposed to blue) twas released well after original.

Advertisement