Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish Sitcom Pilot - Look It Up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Bah... It's male nudity! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Ficheall wrote: »
    Bah... It's male nudity! :(

Sorry to disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I liked it lots of potential, fair play.

Cheers man, that means a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Cheers man, that means a lot.

Especially from a guy called Grumpypants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've only watched 6 minutes of it so far but that's good imo. I'll definitely watch the rest when I get time.

Now if you could get funding for a proper studio and sound control that would be great. If it had full-on production values it would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Looks good, really enjoyed that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I enjoyed that! Even waited for it to load up a couple of times after my cruddy internet connection timed out. Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Acting is a bit wooden and editing is a bit rough around the edges but that's being overly critical. Much, much better than what I was producing when I was at college. The fact that you forget you are watching an amateur piece of work and actually follow the storyline says a lot.

One of the few decent video's like this, put's that D4 Style crap to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

roryc wrote: »
    Acting is a bit wooden and editing is a bit rough around the edges but that's being overly critical...The fact that you forget you are watching an amateur piece of work and actually follow the storyline says a lot.
    That was my feeling too. The acting isn't bad but there are times when it's obvious that the actors are not polished professionals, same with some of the direction, camera angles and lighting/sound but that is to be expected for the budget, funding and equipment levels we're looking at here.

Put it this way, if the quality of the writing/acting and production stayed as it is right now, I'd still watch it but it deserves at least a shot at full-on professional development imo.
    It's definitely more original and better written for sure! I see you made the same dig on the D4 thread! Anyone would think you were a dog with a bone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

That D4 sh*t is just embarrassing. I haven't lived in Ireland in years and when one of the rare times I come in contact with the accent is a video like that it just makes me cringe. At least this video makes an attempt at being original. Like you say above with a bit more cash it could be considerably more polished.

I actually got sent over the DVD box set of Love/Hate recently. Still can't believe RTE managed to produce something decent!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've only watched 6 minutes of it so far but that's good imo. I'll definitely watch the rest when I get time.

Now if you could get funding for a proper studio and sound control that would be great. If it had full-on production values it would be cool.

Glad you liked it so far. The whole thing was done on a budget of about €20. We will make more episodes, hopefully with a bigger budget!

Acting is a bit wooden and editing is a bit rough around the edges but that's being overly critical.

Thanks a lot for the feedback man, really appreciate it. We're all journalism students so it was the first time any of us have ever acted, filmed, edited or even written anything for film.
    Much, much better than what I was producing when I was at college. The fact that you forget you are watching an amateur piece of work and actually follow the storyline says a lot.

Wow, I genuinely wasn't expecting comments like that. Thanks man.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    That was my feeling too. The acting isn't bad but there are times when it's obvious that the actors are not polished professionals, same with some of the direction, camera angles and lighting/sound but that is to be expected for the budget, funding and equipment levels we're looking at here.

Put it this way, if the quality of the writing/acting and production stayed as it is right now, I'd still watch it but it deserves at least a shot at full-on professional development imo.

Cheers for the feedback man. We're all novices at every aspect of making videos. The production will improve with more time and practice. The whole thing had to edited in 14 hours as well to reach a deadline for a competition in college so the next video will be edited a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

There's some production company in Dublin looking for a sitcom to produce. Might be worth sending it to them.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia started the same way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi. Enjoyed that. Good effort

OU812 wrote: »
    There's some production company in Dublin looking for a sitcom to produce. Might be worth sending it to them.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia started the same way

We're huge fans of that show! Do you know the name of the production company by any chance?

Sideline They're also hosting Ireland's first sitcom festival, which in theory sounds like a great idea & if done properly could be a brilliant international event.

OU812 wrote: »
    Sideline They're also hosting Ireland's first sitcom festival, which in theory sounds like a great idea & if done properly could be a brilliant international event.

That look's like it would be right up our alley. Thanks man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Liked it. Script was very good.
    Good time to get it made, I read about RTE looking for comedy scripts in the weekend papers and the UK networks must be quite receptive to Irish scripts after Moone Boy and Mrs Brownes Boys
    Best of luck with getting someone to produce it, with professional production and acting if you could write a seasons worth of material as good as that it could be big

• Advertisement

Liked it. Script was very good.
    Good time to get it made, I read about RTE looking for comedy scripts in the weekend papers and the UK networks must be quite receptive to Irish scripts after Moone Boy and Mrs Brownes Boys
    Best of luck with getting someone to produce it, with professional production and acting if you could write a seasons worth of material as good as that it could be big

It's great to get feedback this encouraging. Glad you enjoyed it man. Thanks for watching.

That look's like it would be right up our alley. Thanks man!

No problem. If they take it on you can give me a recurring guest role :)

Or an exec producer credit. Always wanted one of those. Get listed on imdb :):)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It has potential. The production values and acting are poor but given you were restricted for time and you had a shoe string budget that's to be expected. The writing was the surprising part. Some of the jokes fell flat but some were genuinely funny and worked well. With some work and re-writing the script could be a bit of a gem. For your next video, spend more time on the script, try running it by a few different people to see how the jokes work and re-write parts if necessary. The writing is what will make or break this so really work on it.

For a bit of inspiration, this is what South Park started out as and look what happened there.

It has potential. The production values and acting are poor but given you were restricted for time and you had a shoe string budget that's to be expected. The writing was the surprising part. Some of the jokes fell flat but some were genuinely funny and worked well. With some work and re-writing the script could be a bit of a gem. For your next video, spend more time on the script, try running it by a few different people to see how the jokes work and re-write parts if necessary. The writing is what will make or break this so really work on it.

For a bit of inspiration, this is what South Park started out as and look what happened there.

watch?v=t4n6FpRnJf8
    Thanks for the advice man. We'll definitely take it on board. There'll be no time restraints for the next one so it should be a lot better. (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Can't view in the States due to copyright???

Can't view in the States due to copyright???

Oh yeah, unfortunately until the Beastie Boys approve the video you won't be able to see it outside of Ireland and possibly Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Lock Knife

Thought that was really good and as others have said the script carried it through.

I've a recording studio and if you are into using original music and anything sound related drop me a pm as I'd love to work on something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That was actually not bad, laugh out loud funny in places (the endless 'Ringsend rimmer' 'Rammer from Raheeny' 'Nobber nobber' jokes for example). The guy's agent was a pretty good character, as were the two ****heads running the audition

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    That was actually not bad, laugh out loud funny in places (the endless 'Ringsend rimmer' 'Rammer from Raheeny' 'Nobber nobber' jokes for example). The guy's agent was a pretty good character, as were the two ****heads running the audition

Thanks a lot man. There wasn't much acting in that scene. They're pr1cks in real life! (Well the ass. director is actually sound out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Are you the lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I enjoyed it and considering the budget, ye did very well :) The script was very well written and there were a few laugh out loud moments although some of the acting was a little wooden and overdone. Make sure and post up any follow ups!

I enjoyed it and considering the budget, ye did very well :) The script was very well written and there were a few laugh out loud moments although some of the acting was a little wooden and overdone. Make sure and post up any follow ups!

Will do man. Glad you enjoyed it.

Are you the lead?

Nope, co-wrote it/played Campo. Let me reiterate, I've never acted before. Allowances must be made for my performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Reminds me a bit of Curb, some of Gervais' stuff and even old Podge & Rodge with the Crime Call recreation! :p

Definitely better than I expected, great for a pilot, keep going. I'd watch more!

Reminds me a bit of Curb, some of Gervais' stuff and even old Podge & Rodge with the Crime Call recreation! :p

Definitely better than I expected, great for a pilot, keep going. I'd watch more!

Cheers man,if it's half as funny as any of the shows you mentioned then I'd consider it a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

That was good. At times it was very good. I really liked the Romeo and Juliet bit (or the corruption of it:D). And the male rapist was very funny.

The scene in the bathroom reminded me a lot of the opening of Skins.
    The second scene in the bathroom was genius - the expression on his face putting on the nose.

I liked the two guys looking directly into the camera at different times when they were talking outside the audition. It is playing on the sitcom/mockumentary idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Damn copyright stuff means I can't watch it :(

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    That was good. At times it was very good. I really liked the Romeo and Juliet bit (or the corruption of it:D). And the male rapist was very funny.

The scene in the bathroom reminded me a lot of the opening of Skins.
    The second scene in the bathroom was genius - the expression on his face putting on the nose.

I liked the two guys looking directly into the camera at different times when they were talking outside the audition. It is playing on the sitcom/mockumentary idea.

Cheers man. We were so pressed for time that we had to use a tomato instead of a clown nose in the bathroom scene. A working title for the episode was "Tears of a Clown" but we felt it might give away the payoff.

Damn copyright stuff means I can't watch it :(

We're still waiting for the Beastie Boys' approval, I'm afraid.

For anyone who's interested "Look It Up" didn't even shortlist. Thanks to everyone who watched it and gave us feedback. We really appreciate it. A follow up episode is currently being written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

the sandy-mounter is ****ing gold.

D.Q wrote: »
    the sandy-mounter is ****ing gold.

If you look closely, you'll notice that it's actually me being raped in the reconstruction.

Advertisement