Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc Modem

Options
  • 22-03-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello

I am new to Boards.ie Just Joined( Now) So please be helpful. I am having UPC Installed Shortly and I Need to know if my Modem Needs to be in the same room as the Upc Point or can I use a long coaxle cable and drill small hole between rooms The Rooms are next door to each other

Please do forgive my spelling I need a quick reply Please

pclad:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes the UPC modem should be connected to the point at which your cable comes in to the house. Rather than running a long piece of coax (which could cause poorer signal depending on length) you could run a bit of ethernet cable from the modem into the other room.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've used a cable modem (also UPC) on the end of maybe 20m of coax. The grade of coax may matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pcLad

what is the best quality cable I can buy I really want this service to be good

Thanks very much for your advise so fair I just don't want to make a mistake by moving

Pclad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the UPC modem downstairs beside the TV and this week when they upgraded me to 60 Mbps, I got this result from a speedtest on my laptop on Wi-Fi upstairs....

2585011335.png

You can always buy a Wi-Fi dongle for a desktop PC or can we ask why you want the router in a specific room?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not a big expert on coax cable grades, when I did this I had a tame UPC monkey, he gave me cable; however I'd guess that cable suitable for connecting satellite dish to sat receiver would be adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get whatever Coax you can, test the line stats, if they're good leave it, if not you could go get an expensive well shielded cable.

Because I am disabled and it is easier to manage in that room (resetting)

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

UPC may move the modem to a different room for you

I had a new cable ran from the outside point on my house for my modem

UPC installed a 5 point splitter and i have 3 tv points coming from it and 1 point for my modem

you can also use cat 5 from the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

pcLad wrote: »
    Because I am disabled and it is easier to manage in that room (resetting)

You can restart the modem even on a Wi-Fi connection, you just point your browser at http://192.168.1.1/ and on one of the menus there is an option to restart the modem. Just about the only thing you can't do remotely is power off+on.

Thanks Lads

I wonder if anybody can help me with the following problem. Today I purchased the Logitech 2313 Speaker system for My pc All is going well But when I Connect the headphones to the headphone Jack on the wired remote control I CAN NOT increase or decrease the volume Can You help Volume control works ok without headphones

Too Lazy To look in Manual

Regards

PcLad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you can buy ,ethernet cable in maplins, or pc world,
    lengths, 10ft, 20,or 30ft as required .
    Plug into one end back of modem, other end into pc,or laptop port.
    Modem has 4 ethernet ports.at the rear.
    10ft is 8 euros approx.
    http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/grim2033/2010-07-14_210447_standardcable.jpg

IF You ask nicely, the upc installer may drill, 1 or 2 holes, in the wall, for the ethernet cable.
    Some hardware stores , also sell ethernet rj45 cable.

Advertisement