Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson Service Scam?

Options
  • 22-03-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I received a call from a private number claiming to be from Dyson.

They said they were operating in the area doing services for half price, €30, where they would do a full service and clean. I said I'd need to ask my wife and could I call them back. He offered to call back, but I insisted, so he ended up giving me a phone number for their scariff office. 061 64****. ( number withheld )

He said he was calling from Scotland, which his accent supported but as the number was withheld I have no idea. He said to ring that number and say Joe sent me to avail of the half price offer.

This is a scam right? I have round reference to what sounds like a very similar MO from 2011.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jan/22/dyson-customers-dirt

Just highlighting this as I was tempted for a second but thought it a bit odd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ask for an address and website, if they aren't operating from a base in the 26 counties then they are a fly by night bunch of amateurs or worse. Having no local base means they are not insured so you're on your own if they fcuk up your appliance or do damage in your house.

'We're doing work in your area' is typically the opening line of a sales pitch from complete chancers who have no reputation worth worrying about. Most reliable and reputable people in that line of business rely on word of mouth or they have a retail operation somewhere in the locality so you know about them before they knock on your door or cold call you. If they have no identifiable premises then you would need your head examined to let them into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

I rang Dyson and they confirmed that they NEVER do cold calls for such servicing.

I gave them the details I gathered. The guy I spoke to at Dyson said that the BBC did a watchdog type program on a similar scam running in England about 2 years ago or so.

The scammer who rang sounded very convincing so it's easy to see how some people can get suckered when they start pushing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

How did they know that you have a dyson???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Had some problems with my dyson - called the customer service - scheduled a visit - man arrived, fixed the vacuum cleaner and left - no money changing hands. What other type of service might your dyson require? Changing filters?

How did they know that you have a dyson???

That's another matter, I'm hoping they just chanced their arm.

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »
    What other type of service might your dyson require? Changing filters?

This guy said it would be a full service, take everything apart clean everything and "most importantly" do a full electrical and fuse check etc.

Perhaps offering more a health check then a particular service as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jaredGalen wrote: »
    This guy said it would be a full service, take everything apart clean everything and "most importantly" do a full electrical and fuse check etc.

If it was 'most important' to do a safety check then Dyson would already have recalled that model or put ads in the papers offering to send someone out to inspect the appliance and it would have been done for free.

Clearly the sale pitch was designed to instil fear into the unwitting customer, it carries the implication that without the 'service' the appliance is potentially dangerous.

Doing a 'fuse check' is total BS. You can't check a fuse, it either works or it blows, there's no halfway house.

A vacuum cleaner isn't designed to need a 'service', the motor runs until some part breaks and then you get it repaired, it's in the same category as a washing machine, food mixer or electric razor or any device where the main component is an electric motor.
    jaredGalen wrote: »
    Perhaps offering more a health check then a particular service as such.

Which is a waste of money.

Thanks coylemj.

Just to be clear, I'm in no doubt that these guys are complete scammers and I'm not even trying to suggest they might be in any way sincere, it was a total con job...end of.

I'm mainly putting across the info that I gleaned from the call, which, to unsuspecting users might sound legit.

Bottom line, anyone cold calling claiming to be from Dyson is to be avoided.

Again, read this article to see what the likely outcome will be if you get suckered by these guys. ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jan/22/dyson-customers-dirt )

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ClareGirl70

I got this phone call this morning too. Scottish accent, same story......engineer in my area, etc, etc, except I was quoted €25!
    I asked where they got my number and how they knew I had a Dyson and they said from a 3rd party marketing firm?! As I originally registered my machine with Dyson when I got it, I thought it might have been from them and as I was recently on the Dyson website going through trouble shooting steps for a problem I've been having with the machine (and think I input serial number) I thought this might have prompted call.
    So, I gave my mobile number for engineer to call me this afternoon. However, it didn't feel right the more I thought about it, so I phoned Dyson, and they told me the same as they told the original poster and that if this guy touches the machine my guarantee will be invalidated.
    The guy rang me a little while ago and I told him I'd been onto Dyson and wasn't interested in having him call.
    So they are around - beware!

Was it a mobile or a landline number they called you at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I got a call yesterday from a girl wanting to talk about my dyson cleaner. Told her I didn't have one and she hung up

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ClareGirl70

beazee wrote: »
    Was it a mobile or a landline number they called you at?

They phoned me on my landline number from a 'Withheld' number. The 'engineer' phoned me from a 085 mobile number and I have passed this number and the name he gave me to Dyson.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arlowbird

These people are now hitting County Tipperary - same story - Scottish accent fella offering full service with a year's guarantee for Euro 20! Although he didn't actual say he was from Dyson (which I think is how they get away with it) he intemated he was by stating that he had no record of my service last year. A <<snip>> is due to call on Friday but he will have a wasted journey! ps I have also warned all my Facebook friends about this scam

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

This scam was just on Fake Britain on bbc1 this morning - but they're only charging £19.99 over there. So even when we are being scamed over here we are being ripped off twice with the exchange rate!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

What you do is invite him into the house and keep him talking for a while. Get a few of your friends to empty his car while he is inside. Then tell him it's ok and sell his spare tyre on done deal and give the money to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

schedule a date if they ring, ring Dyson to get their rep out (Surely they would be interested to catch these people ruining their reputation) as well as getting the guards involve.

If Dyson truly doesn't offer such service and they are not legit, then the guards would have rights to arrest them??

**I know easier said than done, who wants to give away their address right?**

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kirryman

We can similar call yesterday, Guy with Scottish accent etc, offering the service for €20. Knew it sounded dodgy, but my wife arranged for him to call next week, while we sussed it out. Don't know whether to try cancel it or just wait and see will he call.

I don't think what he's doing is illegal as, in my case, he never said he worked for Dyson - the way he talked I just assumed he did. I emailed Dyson to tell them what was going on but they all they said was that they never cold call people. I took it from that that they weren't particularly bothered.

The "service engineer" is supposed to be calling me tomorrow - if he does he will have a wasted journey as he won't get in the door. There is no way I could cancel the appointment as the number he was calling from was withheld.

This crowd: http://allvacltd.co.uk/ ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Arlowbird wrote: »
    Here's an update ..... the company is call Allvac and are based in Scariff, County Clare. I can't trace their address but have their phone number if anyone wants it. Told the engineer that I would be reporting the company to Trading Standards.
    Do we have Trading Standards?

• Advertisement

Apparently not but there must be a body that oversees this kind of thing - a further update - there is a company called Allvac based in Fife in Scotland (which I think is the same crowd as Beazee mentions) - As a start I have emailed them to see if they have people over here and have also emailed Tipp FM to see if they will warn people about this. The worry I have is that this fella knew my name and address...

Hi, I tracked this man down to a company called Allvac. Their main office is in Fife, Scotland which is where their operators are based. Their engineers are in Scariff, County Clare. I emailed Allvac advising them of this scam and received the following reply:-

"Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback. Secondly, I wish to take this opportunity to assure you that the company has zero tolerance on any script that does not comply with the correct one and the operator in question will be dealt with in an appropriate manner. We do not condone any words that could imply we are connected to Dyson. Therefore I would apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred. Once again I would like to thank you again."

I would suggest that if anyone receives a similar call, they email - info@allvacltd.co.uk - they probably won't do anything but mentioning Trading Standards may give them a kick up the proverbial!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dfire

What you do is invite him into the house and keep him talking for a while. Get a few of your friends to empty his car while he is inside. Then tell him it's ok and sell his spare tyre on done deal and give the money to charity
    this is a mature attitude towards a few lads starting a business. I have had the call and got my hoover serviced. I see nothing wrong with this service. I think your reading to much into it. they do exactly what they say they will which is service your hoover with non genuine parts for less money. that's it!! no scam, no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

dfire wrote: »
    this is a mature attitude towards a few lads starting a business. I have had the call and got my hoover serviced. I see nothing wrong with this service. I think your reading to much into it. they do exactly what they say they will which is service your hoover with non genuine parts for less money. that's it!! no scam, no big deal

A Dyson isn't a Hoover ;)

Fair play to you - glad everything worked out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dfire

Arlowbird wrote: »
    Fair play to you - glad everything worked out ok.
    It did to be honest, now I know of the family he comes from in scarriff, they would be well know in the GAA circles. I doubt they would allow a "scam" to be run by one of their family.

and to be honest a hoover is a hoover to me. it sucks up dirt and says dyson on it!!!

Following a somewhat explosive phone call, I would like to point out that the "scam" is NOTHING to do with the engineer or any of his family and I apologise if there has been any misunderstanding. I am sure he is a very nice person and I wish him every success with his venture. The problem lies, however, with the man with the Scottish accent who is cold calling people leading them to believe that he is calling from Dyson. The other posts on this board bears this out. At no time was it mentioned that the equipment would be serviced with non genuine parts.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

As it seems this is not a scam and just some dodgy sales techniques' I am closing this. If something new comes to light that points to it being a scam please feel free to start another thread but please be careful about naming names etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement