Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build won't boot

Options
  • 22-03-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

I've been building a C2Q Q6600 system, it won't boot. I had a thread over in Building&Upgrading, but perhaps some of you here don't go there.

Its an MSI MS-7380 motherboard

I got the correct ram (works in another PC), changed the CMOS battery, cleared the CMOS, tried a PCI graphics card in both slots, tried with and without HDD. Also tried PCIe gfx card. Tried a def working CPU from the other system. PSU runs the other system fine, its 450W.

A LED on the board comes on, and a blue one also when powered on. CPU fan runs, CDROM light flashes, monitor light comes on green for about 3 secs then goes orange. Nothing at all displayed on monitor.
    No beeps from speaker.

Anything else I can try before I tell the ebay seller its dead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Has to be a bad Mobo?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

possible cpu

does the psu have all the right connections for the board

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Merl1n wrote: »
    possible cpu

does the psu have all the right connections for the board

The OP said he tried a different CPU?
    Tried a def working CPU from the other system

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Does it get through the POST (Power On Self Test)?
    The OP said he tried a different CPU?

Could be a 20 pin motherboard he tried it on with a 20 pin PSU.

OP, how many pins are on the PSU connector?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks for your replies all, and suggestions. The PSU I am currently trying to boot it with is 450W 24pin, it was previously running my other Q6600 and drawing approx 170W running on full load. The first cpu I tried is now running fine in the other system. I tested the RAM in that system too. The MSI board (that doesn't boot) has an 8pin connector for extra CPU power, which I have connected via an adapter to the 4pin connector on the PSU.

edit: my working q6600 PC is currently running on a 250W PSU, I changed it from the 450W to try on the MSI board as it has 3 PCIe x16 slots, the reason I bought it, to fit more graphics cards in. I'm only trying 1 gfx card when I'm trying to boot it ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies all, and suggestions. The PSU I am currently trying to boot it with is 450W 24pin, it was previously running my other Q6600 and drawing approx 170W running on full load. The first cpu I tried is now running fine in the other system. I tested the RAM in that system too. The MSI board (that doesn't boot) has an 8pin connector for extra CPU power, which I have connected via an adapter to the 4pin connector on the PSU.

edit: my working q6600 PC is currently running on a 250W PSU, I changed it from the 450W to try on the MSI board as it has 3 PCIe x16 slots, the reason I bought it, to fit more graphics cards in. I'm only trying 1 gfx card when I'm trying to boot it ATM.

450w wont be enough if you plan to run more than 1 graphics card.

you will need at least 750w or better for 2 gcards
    you will need 1000w or better for 3 gcards.

Thanks Freddy, I'll address that area when I've got it to boot. They're not top of the range cards. My currently working Q6600 PC with GT630 card is running off a 250W PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Are you sure the graphics card is ok, and compatible.
    are you sure the cpu is compatible, also microcode is used and correct level.

did you reset bios before booting or after failing
    if the HDD is installed, does it start chugging, as if OS has got a start
    did you try to boot into bios, or recovery if available
    does it have self recovery bios,
    lastly, did you wait long enough..

Both graphics cards are working, one PCi, one PCIe. Tried one at a time in each available appropriate slot.
    HDD is blank, wanting to install OS, so no activity
    Tried without HDD (Bios should run without disk)
    Waited a couple of minutes, surely enough.

Advertisement