Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akita gone off dry food .... not eaing..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Seriously, wikipedia? Accurate according to who? It also says 28inches height maximum. A dog at 28inches height and over 60 kgs is a seriously overweight dog. Like I said, my housemates guy is over 30inches and still looks a bit overweight at 60kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Rommie wrote: »
    Seriously, wikipedia? Accurate according to who? It also says 28inches height maximum. A dog at 28inches height and over 60 kgs is a seriously overweight dog. Like I said, my housemates guy is over 30inches and still looks a bit overweight at 60kgs

I've got the best book you can get on Akitas that was written by Barbara Bouyet which states akita males can weight up to 130lbs in weight which is just shy of 60.

Book is Akita - treasure of Japan volume ii btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Wikepedia is hardly a reliable source for researching breeds. Over 10 stone is bordering, if not classed as, obese in a male Akita.

The link below states that males should be 26-28 inches at the wither - can you imagine an animal that height carrying OVER 10 stone. Seriously, think of it logically and picture that in your head - an animal that size is bordering on obese in my opinion.

http://akitaassociationofireland.com/?page_id=20

I've got the best book you can get on Akitas that was written by Barbara Bouyet which states akita males can weight up to 130lbs in weight which is just shy of 60.

Book is Akita - treasure of Japan volume ii btw

Yes shy of 60kgs. I think it's 120lbs actually which is 58kg. Being OVER ten stone, is well over 60kgs ie. over weight.

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Wikepedia is hardly a reliable source for researching breeds. Over 10 stone is bordering, if not classed as, obese in a male Akita.

The link below states that males should be 26-28 inches at the wither - can you imagine an animal that height carrying OVER 10 stone. Seriously, think of it logically and picture that in your head - an animal that size is bordering on obese in my opinion.

http://akitaassociationofireland.com/?page_id=20

Fine, wikipedia not a great source, I accept that but it's correct and I've quoted an extremely reliable source in the post above your one.

As I said, I keep my guy on the light side as opposed to the heavy side but some of the show dogs that are male can do weigh close to 60kg. Just deal with it, it depends on the dog obviously.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Yes shy of 60kgs. I think it's 120lbs actually which is 58kg. Being OVER ten stone, is well over 60kgs ie. over weight.

Yes it really does depend on the dog. Can you cite where a show dog akita has been eliminated due to being over 10 stone? It completely depends on the dog.

Also, 120lbs is 54kg not 58kg. 130lbs is as seen here 59kg. http://www.google.ie/search?q=130lbs+in+kg&aq=f&oq=130lbs+&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US

I dont have issue with dogs being close to 60kgs, but over it is a problem. They were bred to be large, agile hunters, so being that heavy means they cannot be fit for purpose. Obviously they're not used for that anymore (afaik)

I dont have issue with dogs being close to 60kgs, but over it is a problem. They were bred to be large, agile hunters, so being that heavy means they cannot be fit for purpose. Obviously they're not used for that anymore (afaik)

That's just your opinion. Agile for an akita, doesn't meant they're typically going to enter and win agility contests. It's all relative tbh. It depends on the dog, I will agree that the majority of Akitas don't need to be that weight. I keep my guy light to protect his joints and limbs.

Apologies, I mis-typed. So I think it's fair to say that saying an animal is over ten stone is indeed over weight as it leans on the far side of 60kgs. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Saying that it's again over ten stone puts the animal over 63kgs.

I'm not arguing this point any further to say that an Akita over 63kgs is at ideal weight. I've found the photo of this "monster" on this very forum and it's very much over weight.

• Advertisement

It's not just my opinion. Akitas were bred to be agile hunters, at over ten stone, you're heading into mastiff weight; no way a dog of that weight can be agile. I would love to see pics of these over 60kgs akitas and see just what their weight really looks like

PM'd Rommie as though the photo has been posted on a public forum, I'm wanting to keep the peace by not posting someone else's pet myself.

It's not just my opinion. Akitas were bred to be agile hunters, at over ten stone, you're heading into mastiff weight; no way a dog of that weight can be agile. I would love to see pics of these over 60kgs akitas and see just what their weight really looks like

I know what Akitas were bred for. I do have one from a proper breeder not like the ones you see in donedeal from clown breeders that are wrecking the breed selling them for 200 quid.

I generally agree with you but to say an akita is overweight at 60kg and isn't able to be "agile" without even seeing him is just silly. It completely depends on the dog as an individual. I haven't seen the dog that is being referred to in this thread but I'm not talking about that dog, I'm just talking about the breed. What I will say is as I said previously, the majority of Akitas don't need to be near 60kg or over it.

I never implied that you didn't have a dog from a proper breeder??

I guess the whole dog weight thing is a bit of a stickler with me because of the amount of people who boast constantly about how big their dog is, despite that extra weight killing their dog. A lot of dogs are being bred to be bigger, which is ruining the breed, like the so-called Giant Alaskan Malamutes that have started popping up around the place. With breeds that are already prone to joint problems, I don't understand why anyone would want to breed them bigger than what they're meant to be.

Anyway, OP sorry for dragging this off topic. How's your girl with eating now?

What I will say is as I said previously, the majority of Akitas don't need to be near 60kg or over it.

So in essence we do agree :). Bordering over 60kgs can indeed go into overweight territory.

I think we agree, we're just saying it in differant ways ;)

I guess the whole dog weight thing is a bit of a stickler with me because of the amount of people who boast constantly about how big their dog is, despite that extra weight killing their dog. A lot of dogs are being bred to be bigger, which is ruining the breed, like the so-called Giant Alaskan Malamutes that have started popping up around the place. With breeds that are already prone to joint problems, I don't understand why anyone would want to breed them bigger than what they're meant to be.

I agree with you, I've no idea why anyone would want to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I be inclined to think an overweight dog is not able to walk long distances or do very much or be agile in anyway
    Well my dog does be on long walks and is agile and very playfull so I do not think he is overweight
    He is an American Akita and males can weigh up to 65 kg and more and if anyone else thinks 65 kg for an Akita is overweight then my dog is proof that it is not
    If you were to see him run you'd defo think otherwise :)

Do you have a pic of him dodderangler? 65kgs really does sound way too heavy to me. The 60kg boy here can run and jump with the best of them, but he is still too heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do you have a pic of him dodderangler? 65kgs really does sound way too heavy to me. The 60kg boy here can run and jump with the best of them, but he is still too heavy.
    If anyone can tell me how to upload from iPhone il put him up

Ye i went on a 1 and half hour walk this morning and when i got back i left a hour pass and i tried her with some dry food , she ate about 3/4 of it which was ok i suppose , so this evening i went out for quick 20 min walk and i took a scoop of dry food mixed some tinned fish , egg yolk and some gravy and heated it up to which she licked all around the edges at start but when i checked 10 mins later the bowl was empty :D i would love if she would do this everyday but she will probably turn nose up again tomorrow :confused:

taken 3 weeks ago

• Advertisement

jo06555 wrote: »
    Ye i went on a 1 and half hour walk this morning and when i got back i left a hour pass and i tried her with some dry food , she ate about 3/4 of it which was ok i suppose , so this evening i went out for quick 20 min walk and i took a scoop of dry food mixed some tinned fish , egg yolk and some gravy and heated it up to which she licked all around the edges at start but when i checked 10 mins later the bowl was empty :D i would love if she would do this everyday but she will probably turn nose up again tomorrow :confused:

taken 3 weeks ago

Man i've a piece of advice for you that I really hope you take into account. Akitas are really prone to bloat because of their deep chests so please please please soak dry food in water before giving it to her, leave it for about an hour or two before giving it, it will swell up and absorb the water and it's safer for her to eat. And without trying to sound patronizing (apologies if you know this) but don't give any food/large amount of water either one hour before or after exercising...

Man i've a piece of advice for you that I really hope you take into account. Akitas are really prone to bloat because of their deep chests so please please please soak dry food in water before giving it to her, leave it for about an hour or two before giving it, it will swell up and absorb the water and it's safer for her to eat. And without trying to sound patronizing (apologies if you know this) but don't give any food/large amount of water either one hour before or after exercising...

ye i normally put a bit of boiling water on the food to bring out smell but she use to just lick it and then the dry food would become all hard and stuck to bottom of bowl but nothing a quick stir wont fix , tonight i had water mixed too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Has she been wormed? We pour tuna juice onto our akits's dry nuts if hes slow to eat ot mix a little tuna with it.
    Our akita hates eggs.

jamesd wrote: »
    Has she been wormed? We pour tuna juice onto our akits's dry nuts if hes slow to eat ot mix a little tuna with it.
    Our akita hates eggs.

You should avoid tuna, it's not good for Akitas as the mercury content in it is too high which is a neurotoxin. You're better off with Sardines. I'd also recommend anyone with an Akita to buy this book: http://www.akitabook.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you feeding her now OP - still Pedigree? If she's not a big eater maybe look at going for one of the premium foods (assuming you want to stick with dry food) with more meat/fish to entice her like Taste of the Wild, Acana, Marcus Muhle etc on zooplus...you pay more for the bag initially but you feed a lot less so it's not as expensive as it looks and she'll be getting smaller meals - so less for her to not eat! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    What are you feeding her now OP - still Pedigree? If she's not a big eater maybe look at going for one of the premium foods (assuming you want to stick with dry food) with more meat/fish to entice her like Taste of the Wild, Acana, Marcus Muhle etc on zooplus...you pay more for the bag initially but you feed a lot less so it's not as expensive as it looks and she'll be getting smaller meals - so less for her to not eat! :p
    Pedigree ye .. the last 2 nights iv mixed fish and nuts with hot water and she has devoured it all lets hope she keeps it up I wont give fish each time maybe egg yolks tomorrow Is pedigree not great ?? Id prefer her to eat better foods but she is so fussy I dont know what to try .

Pedigree is awful OP. The junk food of the dog world. And bloody expensive too, you can get way better, way cheaper foods. Have a look at salmon based foods, they really seem to prefer fish-based food

Pedigree is awful OP. The junk food of the dog world. And bloody expensive too, you can get way better, way cheaper foods. Have a look at salmon based foods, they really seem to prefer fish-based food

+1 to that.

This is good value: http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/champion-premium-salmon-15kg/

Ok thanks and again I really did not plan on using pedigree but as she went off her puppy food I tried 2 or 3 other brands and she did not take to them so I just bought a small bit of pedigree and wouldn't you know she took more to that for some strange reason.. il see if my trick of mixing wirks again tonight if it does will me changing from pedigree to a better brand start me from scratch again??? Plus can I buy smaller bags to try her on first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

You should avoid tuna, it's not good for Akitas as the mercury content in it is too high which is a neurotoxin. You're better off with Sardines. I'd also recommend anyone with an Akita to buy this book: http://www.akitabook.com/

Hard to get that book with a good price on shipping, the site wants $50 for shipping, checked ebay and just 1 seller in the US salling it with the sme $50 for shipping.

Advertisement