Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akita gone off dry food .... not eaing..

Comments

jamesd wrote: »

Hard to get that book with a good price on shipping, the site wants $50 for shipping, checked ebay and just 1 seller in the US salling it with the sme $50 for shipping.

Know the feeling, had the same problem! I ended up just buying it though as with the dollar currency and the quality contained within, I definitely think it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

alibris.co.uk these are usually cheap for books new and second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

My dog stopped eating dry food. He'll only eat it now if I put gravy over it :)

He loves it with the gravy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Boombastic wrote: »
    My dog stopped eating dry food. He'll only eat it now if I put gravy over it :)

He loves it with the gravy

Do you mean normal 'human' gravy? that is very high in salt to be giving to dogs regularly. Maybe mix some tinned fish in, or make your own stock by boiling up a chicken carcass, or other bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

ISDW wrote: »
    Do you mean normal 'human' gravy? that is very high in salt to be giving to dogs regularly. Maybe mix some tinned fish in, or make your own stock by boiling up a chicken carcass, or other bones.

Sorry should have clarified, it's Dog gravy (usually Wagg brand) or beef/chicken broth I make as you have said with the bones etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Ok my new way seems to be working 3rd night she has ate the lot I put 2 scoops dry food egg yolk or tinned fish a bit of flavour maybe gravy and leave it soak in hot water for half hour she seems to be taking to it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Know the feeling, had the same problem! I ended up just buying it though as with the dollar currency and the quality contained within, I definitely think it's worth it

Made the purchase there now myself. Thanks

jamesd wrote: »
    Made the purchase there now myself. Thanks

Great! You won't be disappointed, you'll learn so much about your dog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

jo06555 wrote: »
    i had bein giving her fish mixed with nuts so i assume she has got taste for other foods thanks hopefully someone can help .

You give the dog nuts.

Nuts are one more "DO NOT EAT" item to add to Fido's list of toxic or harmful substances. Certain types of nuts can cause toxic poisonings, an upset stomach or an obstruction in your dog's gastrointestinal tract which can lead to life-saving surgery and unexpected veterinary expenses.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Nut-Dangers-to-Dogs.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

old_aussie wrote: »
    You give the dog nuts.

Nuts are one more "DO NOT EAT" item to add to Fido's list of toxic or harmful substances. Certain types of nuts can cause toxic poisonings, an upset stomach or an obstruction in your dog's gastrointestinal tract which can lead to life-saving surgery and unexpected veterinary expenses.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Nut-Dangers-to-Dogs.aspx

I'm pretty sure the OP is using 'nuts' as a word for kibble.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure the OP is using 'nuts' as a word for kibble.

For the sake of the thousands of people that will read this thread over the coming months and years, it's worth clarifying either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For the sake of the thousands of people that will read this thread over the coming months and years, it's worth clarifying either way!

I'm pretty sure the thousands of them will know they mean kibble and not manhattan peanuts lol! :p

Ok dont worry I AM NOT feeding my dog on nuts ;) as was allready said I mean kibble .... out of interest whats the best dry food to start changing over to if pedigree is no good?? Preferably food I could go buy in a pet shop?? As a update 4th night in a row my mix has worked so maybe I have cracked it :) my only worry now is will she take to anything other than pedigree :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Arden Grange, Clinivet, Eukanuba, James Wellbeloved, Orijen, Red Mills, Gain, Taste Of the Wild to name a few.

Get yourself a 15kg bag as its more economical in the long run. Stay away from Royal Canin and Hills, just my opinion.

andreac wrote: »
    Arden Grange, Clinivet, Eukanuba, James Wellbeloved, Orijen, Red Mills, Gain, Taste Of the Wild to name a few.

Get yourself a 15kg bag as its more economical in the long run. Stay away from Royal Canin and Hills, just my opinion.

Thanks can these be bought in pet shops?? I may buy smaller bag first just to be sure she will take to it which of them would be best for building her up a bit or will I just add eggs or fish and stuff ..

I would stop adding anything for the time being or you will end up with one very very fussy dog. You need to get her eating the dry food first and get her into a routine and once thats established you can add things here and there.

Yes most of those are available in most good pet shops. You need to be tough and not give in to her. My rottie went 3 days before without eating as he had gotten fussy, completely my own fault. So he got offered his dinner, if it wasnt eaten, it was taken up and he got absol nothing until next mealtime. Continue this for a few days and she will realise its her dinner or nothing.
    Dogs wont go hungry, trust me.

Whats beta like ?? I was on gain but she would never eat alot of it just enough to satisfy her hunger and she was loosing weight I was thinking of trying beta lamb and rice maybe??

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the thousands of them will know they mean kibble and not manhattan peanuts lol! :p

I've had dogs all my life and I've never used that phrase !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Whats beta like ?? I was on gain but she would never eat alot of it just enough to satisfy her hunger and she was loosing weight I was thinking of trying beta lamb and rice maybe??

Beta would be OK-ish. Its around €40/15kg. The last time I checked the ingredients though they were listed as cereal/animal/meat derivitives.

Red Mills Leader would be better and you can get this in most pet stores or an agri-store. The ingredients would be better than Beta.

Some of the other foods listed above might be available in your local pet store. But you can get them online.

There are better foods out there for roughly same price as beta so I would try going for them instead.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks il go buy some red mills tomorrow and try that and the best way to get her to take to it is to mix
    Some of what shes on now with new stuff ye??

Ok thanks il go buy some red mills tomorrow and try that and the best way to get her to take to it is to mix
    Some of what shes on now with new stuff ye??
    Just make sure it's the better quality red mills, the leader or supreme. Not the star or winner as that's just as bad as pedigree.
    I would still go better than red mills if you can afford it but if you can't then red mills would def be better than pedigree. Yeah gradually mix it in over a few days increasing the new stuff and decreasing the old stuff over the course of a week or so.

I feed my Akita this and it's great, 600grams a day and it last over a month all for 40 Euro: http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/champion-premium-salmon-15kg/

I feed my Akita this and it's great, 600grams a day and it last over a month all for 40 Euro: http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/champion-premium-salmon-15kg/

Looks good do they sell smaller bags to try ?? Preferably id like to go for a brand I could buy in pet shops 40 euro price range maxizoo is closest pet shop but others not too far away so not a problem whats the best I could get for that price or am I just better off trying to order online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

sorry for delay folks this is my monster and i apologise i have his weight wrong he is 9 half stone and sheddin like mad
    here he is inmy sisters freelander rough idea of his size going by his head
    C99ED1DE_zps8d094f21.jpg
    and doing his duties as a guard dog when someone walks past end of garden he stands at couch making sure theyve passed
    962EBE03_zps90f94e5b.jpg

keep in mind he has his winter coat so looks fatter than he is now sheddin it

sorry for delay folks this is my monster and i apologise i have his weight wrong he is 9 half stone and sheddin like mad
    C99ED1DE_zps8d094f21.jpg
    and doing his duties as a guard dog when someone walks past end of garden he stands at couch making sure theyve passed
    962EBE03_zps90f94e5b.jpg

V nice he is .... how did you upload pics to posts and not as attachment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

V nice he is .... how did you upload pics to posts and not as attachment?

App called snap bucket it's in direct link to photobucket if you have an account
    Then copy and paste img code and presto
    Laptop wasn't working right all week just downloaded new software

20120902_011523_zps25ec0c4f.jpg cool thanks ;)

Looks good do they sell smaller bags to try ?? Preferably id like to go for a brand I could buy in pet shops 40 euro price range maxizoo is closest pet shop but others not too far away so not a problem whats the best I could get for that price or am I just better off trying to order online?

Generally better off buying online as you get better quality and better prices usually.

They actually have 2kg samples too...http://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/champion-premium-sample-2-kg/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

9 1/2 stone is just over 60kg.

Even for a Jap Akita that is huge.

That is past a good Rottweiler size and I tend to think of them as being similar size dog.

Advertisement