Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akita gone off dry food .... not eaing..

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

RoverZT wrote: »
    9 1/2 stone is just over 60kg.

Even for a Jap Akita that is huge.

That is past a good Rottweiler size and I tend to think of them as being similar size dog.

American akitas are the bigger of the two, the akita inu (no longer called japanese akita in ireland) wouldn't be as heavy on average (though some can be as heavy). Some can be bigger than the average rottie, but then I've seen some massive rotties as well that were around the 60kg. I think over 60kg is too heavy for either breed though

No offence dodderangler, but I do think he's overweight. I know you say he's shedding his winter coat, but I can't see any visible waist on him, which should be visible with winter coat or not. He's handsome of course, but I think he is too heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

jo06555 wrote: »
    20120902_011523_zps25ec0c4f.jpg cool thanks ;)

Lovely dog.

Looks alot like Hatchi :D

Great film as well.

1026518.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Lovely dog.

Looks alot like Hatchi :D

Great film as well.

1026518.jpg

yep, and unfortunately responsible for a lot of people getting akitas without doing any research into the dogs or where they got them from, leading to so many of them ending up in pounds and being pts. :(

Most of the 'akita' puppies in that film were actually played by shiba inu, they tended to obey a bit better than the naughty pups. I know a guy who worked on the set and Richard Gere is apparently terrified of dogs, it took him a while to warm up to the akitas playing Hatchi. As with all dog films, like ISDW said, the movie has absolutely ruined akitas. I've never seen so many badly bred, puppy farmed akitas as there are now. Not to mention the amount for sale once they reach 8-10 months and have lost the 'cute' appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

ISDW wrote: »
    yep, and unfortunately responsible for a lot of people getting akitas without doing any research into the dogs or where they got them from, leading to so many of them ending up in pounds and being pts. :(

Not me though I done alot of research before bringing her home ...

• Advertisement

Same can be said for almost every dog breed.

How many Huskies, German Shepherds, Retrievers, Terriers, Rottweilers, Dalmatians, Labradors are in pounds because of films?

Ban dog films :pac:

Same can be said for almost every dog breed.

How many Huskies, German Shepherds, Retrievers, Terriers, Rottweilers, Dalmatians, Labradors are in pounds because of films?

Ban dog films :pac:

Yes, huskies became very popular because of 8below and Snow Dogs, leading to thousands of them being puppy farmed and then ending up in pounds and being killed. dalmatians were the same after 101 and 102 dalmatians.

I'd be more than happy for there to be a ban on dog films, as it would undoubtedly save dogs' lives.

Yes, huskies became very popular because of 8below and Snow Dogs, leading to thousands of them being puppy farmed and then ending up in pounds and being killed. dalmatians were the same after 101 and 102 dalmatians.

I'd be more than happy for there to be a ban on dog films, as it would undoubtedly save dogs' lives.

Should probably ban crufts and all other dog shows too as it shows the best in dogs as well and may cause people to like them ... ?

jo06555 wrote: »
    Should probably ban crufts and all other dog shows too as it shows the best in dogs as well and may cause people to like them ... ?

OK. Because nobody at dog shows ever promotes responsible ownership do they? The TV coverage of Crufts obviously understand how powerful TV is, and so their coverage did promote responsible ownership throughout the time they were on air, did you watch it?

It is a fact that more akitas have been bred since the film made the breed popular, which has led to more akitas being killed. It is also a fact that more huskies and malamutes have been bred since the films came out, again, leading to more huskies and mals being killed.

Why don't you take some time and look at the websites of all the different irish pounds and rescues, see how many akitas are looking for homes, google akita rescue in northern ireland, as there isn't one now in Eire, to see how many akitas are currently looking for homes with them.

I don't really understand, if you love akitas then surely you want the best for the breed and you don't want them killed in pounds? So why can't you acknowledge that this film has led to an increase in akitas, and by extension to an increase in the number of them being put to sleep? I enjoyed the film, but I am not living in a make believe world where the media does not have an impact on how people live their lives. Companies wouldn't spend a fortune on advertising if it didn't work.

Maybe go and volunteer at a rescue or welfare organisation and see the issue for yourself.

OK. Because nobody at dog shows ever promotes responsible ownership do they? The TV coverage of Crufts obviously understand how powerful TV is, and so their coverage did promote responsible ownership throughout the time they were on air, did you watch it?

It is a fact that more akitas have been bred since the film made the breed popular, which has led to more akitas being killed. It is also a fact that more huskies and malamutes have been bred since the films came out, again, leading to more huskies and mals being killed.

Why don't you take some time and look at the websites of all the different irish pounds and rescues, see how many akitas are looking for homes, google akita rescue in northern ireland, as there isn't one now in Eire, to see how many akitas are currently looking for homes with them.

I don't really understand, if you love akitas then surely you want the best for the breed and you don't want them killed in pounds? So why can't you acknowledge that this film has led to an increase in akitas, and by extension to an increase in the number of them being put to sleep? I enjoyed the film, but I am not living in a make believe world where the media does not have an impact on how people live their lives. Companies wouldn't spend a fortune on advertising if it didn't work.

Maybe go and volunteer at a rescue or welfare organisation and see the issue for yourself.
    Of course I care and I know films do lead to lots of unwanted dogs and unnecessary deaths but its not all akitas .. I agree if people do not do research before bringing a akita home they will more than likely end up giving the dog up after a year or 2 I was trying to say surely if people see a nice looking dog on tv in general it could cause them to get one as well as just movies?

• Advertisement

Anyway back on topic , i was at vets and he told me she is a little underweight but nothing to worry about ,Got her weighed she is 20.5kg he said ideally she would be 2 kg heavier he also said to just keep feeding her what she eats and when i said she is eating pedigree he said grand as long as she eats it so im wondering now do i risk changing her food if she is eating now :confused: also i know eggs should be limited to 2 or 3 times a week max but what about tinned fish ???

Wow, 22kg is very light for an akita. I'd be aiming for about 25 at least. I would DEFINITELY change her food OP, pedigree really is rubbish and she could do with a lot better food. There might not be reprecussions right now, but down the line is when you'll see the problems. Tinned fish is fine twice a week, preferably the stuff in tomato sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The thing is, vets are not experts in dog nutrition so can't really advise on what's best to feed really.
    Honestly, pedigree really is the worst food you can feed and esp now that your dog is underweight, you need to be feeding a much better quality food to try and get condition on her.
    You have been given plenty of advice with regard to good brands to feed so I would def get her on to a better one sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I agree with Rommie that 25kgs would be a weight I'd want to target too. Pedigree is fine in a vague sense, the same way McDonalds is a fine food for us but you wouldn't eat it every day.

My girl loves Gain which at E35 is fine in cost as well as quality. Usually get about two months out of it.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I agree with Rommie that 25kgs would be a weight I'd want to target too. Pedigree is fine in a vague sense, the same way McDonalds is a fine food for us but you wouldn't eat it every day.

My girl loves Gain which at E35 is fine in cost as well as quality. Usually get about two months out of it.

yes i was thinking of going for gain myself, il buy some tomorrow and start changing her over onto it cheers hopefully my fussy dog will settle now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

You should see her put on weight fairly quickly with gain and you'll notice a much better condition in the dogs coat too. Then you'll wonder why you fed Pedigree for so long ;)

I throw in the odd egg, fish and meat to her diet too. You'll notice the dog might eat smaller portions of gain than pedigree. Don't mistake this for the dog going off the food. Merely better quality food so nutrients more plentiful in each piece of kibble. Pedigree would require larger measures to feed as it' a lower quality.

Don't rate Gain myself, tried it for a while and found it no better than Beta or Royal Canine.

My dog ( Husky ) does love Royal Canine for large dogs, he would clean the bowl, but didn't think his coat was the best on it.

I have been using Taste of the wild for the last few months and find it excellent.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild
    Expensive at 60 euro for 13.6kg, but he does love it, I give him some meat a few days a week as well with his nuts.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    You should see her put on weight fairly quickly with gain and you'll notice a much better condition in the dogs coat too. Then you'll wonder why you fed Pedigree for so long ;)

I throw in the odd egg, fish and meat to her diet too. You'll notice the dog might eat smaller portions of gain than pedigree. Don't mistake this for the dog going off the food. Merely better quality food so nutrients more plentiful in each piece of kibble. Pedigree would require larger measures to feed as it' a lower quality.

ok so im ok to mix tinned fish a few times a week ye its not too much, and why would fish in tomato sauce be better .

Advertisement