Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish (Gaeilge) voice for Garmin Sat Navs

• 22-03-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am not promoting a product or a service. I am not a business or an organisation.
    I am offering people an Irish voice file (.vpm) that they can put into their Garmin Sat Navs that makes the Sat Nav give directions in Irish.

Seo thíos glór Gaeilge do Sat Navs de chuid Garmin.
    Oscail an .zip chun an .vpm a fháil. Cuir isteach sa bhfillteán 'Voice' é ar an Sat Nav.
    Roghnaigh 'Colm' ón liosta glórtha ar an Sat Nav (Treoraí Tiomána?) agus tabharfar na treoracha duit as Gaeilge, m.sh: "i gceann caoga méadar, cas ar dheis." srl..

Attached is an Irish language voice file for Garmin Sat Navs.
    Open the .zip file (attached) to get the .vpm file. Drop it into 'Voice' folder in your Sat Nav. Choose 'Colm' from the list of voices on your Sat Nav and your directions will be given in Irish, eg: "i gceann caoga méadar, cas ar dheis."

Is mise
    le meas
    Colm Ó Canainn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Is laoch thú a Choilm. Grma. Teastaíonn uaim ceann de na cinn seo do mo S III.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CSOC

Bain trial as, a Sheanchaí.

Nílim cinnte an oibríonn .vpm ar Samsung, creidim gur le aghaidh earraí de chuid Garmin is mó a úsáidtear é. Ach má oibríonn sé - abair liom!

Beir bua
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 3 computaquark

Conas ata tu

Firstly excuse my exclusive use of the English language as I have not used Gaeilge for many years.

I am not getting a radio button for the colm.vpm file on my Garmin Zumo 550. If i can find the program(s) to open .vpm extensions then it might be possible for me to create the radio button by comparing files that work correctly on my sat nav and adding the necessary code. is the Garmin Zumo 550 supported?

Go raith maith agat.

Excuse the missing fada's as I do not know how to add them from a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CSOC

A Chara,

Don't know what program will open .vpm files. I think they are Garmin's own voice file format. On my Garmin (nuvi 3100) you open the 'Voices' folder on the device and drop the colm.vpm file in there - it then appears as an option. I don't know about changing code on the file, but there may be something online to help you with that. I should point out that it won't tell you the street names, just the turns, and distances etc. Not sure if the Zumo 550 supports .vpm files, you'd have to email Garmin support.

On a PC you can get the fada by selecting 'Irish' keyboard in system preferences, and then hit the 'alt gr' button with the letter you want accented. On a mac you hold down the 'alt'.

Go n-éirí leat,
    Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 computaquark

CSOC wrote: »
    A Chara,

Don't know what program will open .vpm files. I think they are Garmin's own voice file format. On my Garmin (nuvi 3100) you open the 'Voices' folder on the device and drop the colm.vpm file in there - it then appears as an option. I don't know about changing code on the file, but there may be something online to help you with that. I should point out that it won't tell you the street names, just the turns, and distances etc. Not sure if the Zumo 550 supports .vpm files, you'd have to email Garmin support.

On a PC you can get the fada by selecting 'Irish' keyboard in system preferences, and then hit the 'alt gr' button with the letter you want accented. On a mac you hold down the 'alt'.

Go n-éirí leat,
    Colm.

Conas ata tu

Yes i have the Colm file in the correct folder via connectin to PC that sees the garmin device as hard drive. I think the radio buttons must be in the firmware. I will rename Colm.vpm to an existing voice file such as Russia_.vpm and trick the device. After then deleting or overwriting the initial Russia_.vpm hopefully the radio button will be available. I have discovered that .vpm files audio files so adding a radio button is not an option.

Slainte

• Advertisement
Advertisement