Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

"-I want to start off by saying that I've been waiting for this moment for a while. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, as soon as we weren't able to withdraw our coins from Mt. Gox weeks ago. I stupidly had my life's savings in bitcoin, and when the price started to fall, I converted to dollars and watched the price plummet. I lost $357,000. Not to try to earn a bunch of sympathy or anything but this was not only my money but it was going to be my 5 year old son's education fund which i took out of fidelity about 1 year ago to mess with bitcoins. I dont know what the **** to do any more. I'm sitting here on reddit looking for comfort or just something but I don't know what I'm going to do now at all. I don't have **** to live for any more and the only thing I have left is just talking about it here I guess. I can't express what I'm feeling right now. THat **** was just sitting there and I couldn't take it out how could this whole shop just pack up and dissapear? I don't know if anyone here knows the facts or whats going on but I want to or if you have any slighest shred of evidence that its possible they arent really gone please et me know here. if im never going to see my money again all of it im going to either kill myself which i dont want to do because i want to live even though i have nothing to live for now, except my son who is now completely ****ed"

One guy ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

"-I want to start off by saying that I've been waiting for this moment for a while. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, as soon as we weren't able to withdraw our coins from Mt. Gox weeks ago. I stupidly had my life's savings in bitcoin, and when the price started to fall, I converted to dollars and watched the price plummet. I lost $357,000. Not to try to earn a bunch of sympathy or anything but this was not only my money but it was going to be my 5 year old son's education fund which i took out of fidelity about 1 year ago to mess with bitcoins. I dont know what the **** to do any more. I'm sitting here on reddit looking for comfort or just something but I don't know what I'm going to do now at all. I don't have **** to live for any more and the only thing I have left is just talking about it here I guess. I can't express what I'm feeling right now. THat **** was just sitting there and I couldn't take it out how could this whole shop just pack up and dissapear? I don't know if anyone here knows the facts or whats going on but I want to or if you have any slighest shred of evidence that its possible they arent really gone please et me know here. if im never going to see my money again all of it im going to either kill myself which i dont want to do because i want to live even though i have nothing to live for now, except my son who is now completely ****ed"

One guy ^^

I've sympathy but the mt gox situation isn't sudden or new news, it has been all over the media and internet for at least 8 months that mt gox were in danger of becoming insolvent. What kind of an eijot leaves his life savings and sons education fund anywhere that like that? He has had the best part of a year to sort this out, all he needed to do was buy BTC again on gox and transfer it to any one of the countless fully functioning exchanges.

Problem solved.

I find it hard to believe anyone could be that stupid but if it is true, he's no one but himself to blame, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

nm wrote: »
    I've sympathy but the mt gox situation isn't sudden or new news, it has been all over the media and internet for at least 8 months that mt gox were in danger of becoming insolvent. What kind of an eijot leaves his life savings and sons education fund anywhere that like that? He has had the best part of a year to sort this out, all he needed to do was buy BTC again on gox and transfer it to any one of the countless fully functioning exchanges.

Problem solved.

I find it hard to believe anyone could be that stupid but if it is true, he's no one but himself to blame, sorry.

Even more so, you don't need to keep bitcoins in an exchange at all, there are a number of options but by far the safest is to transfer them to paper wallets, or a secure offline wallet like armory.

If true it's a sad story, but in many ways the correct response (in terms of this thread) is "So what?". How many countless similar stories could be told by Madoff investors, or indeed holders of many Irish bank stocks recently.

There are many lessons to be learned but the irony here is that in many ways bitcoin is the *solution* to all this, it allows people take total control of their cash assets in a way that they're not beholden to anyone and can spend/send their own money with vary little interference from anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

pH wrote: »
    Even more so, you don't need to keep bitcoins in an exchange at all, there are a number of options but by far the safest is to transfer them to paper wallets, or a secure offline wallet like armory.

If true it's a sad story, but in many ways the correct response (in terms of this thread) is "So what?". How many countless similar stories could be told by Madoff investors, or indeed holders of many Irish bank stocks recently.

There are many lessons to be learned but the irony here is that in many ways bitcoin is the *solution* to all this, it allows people take total control of their cash assets in a way that they're not beholden to anyone and can spend/send their own money with vary little interference from anyone else.

I hardly think storing your life savings on a piece of paper or on a computer in your house is a good idea either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

One guy ^^

I've got a few sympathetic private messages come through, this is not me, maybe I should of added 10 quotation marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sorry to hear that bro.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

12 element wrote: »
    How anyone could think having hundreds of thousands of dollars deposited on a Magic the Gathering card exchange website is beyond me.
    But, but, but they're limited edition cards
    Wait I'll tell you another one ... it'll have you in hysterics, I know some people who bought a computer from ... wait for it ... a typewriter company .. LOLZ
    Olivetti ? The M24's were iffy.
    IBM have sold their desktop business to Lenovo recently
    Brother and other typewriter companies used to do computers too. *cringes*

Pretty good article on bitcoin
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoins-shocking-resilience-achilles-heel-155129867.html?soc_src=copy

It pretty much reflects my views, digital currency is here to stay, who can say if it'll be bitcoin or one of the new pretenders, but bitcoin has by far the best chance at the moment. Any ideas that bitcoin can be killed by legislation or incompetent exchanges are now defunct.

David Smith doesn't seem like he's a very impartial source:
    http://www.benzinga.com/author/david-smith

Here's another article on bit coin: http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

the mt gox situation isn't sudden or new news, it has been all over the media and internet for at least 8 months that mt gox were in danger of becoming insolvent.

If it was publicly known 8+ months ago that they were in danger of becoming insolvent, why didn't everybody (presumably everybody knew insolvency was imminent) remove their bitcoins/lolly from mtgox 8+ months ago, and why did it take it a further 8+ months to actually go insolvent.

Edit: Just did a check back on this topic and I'm a bit surprised not to see anything about a looming insolvency 8 months ago, maybe I missed it, I saw something about a server being down for a couple of hours but nothing about insolvency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

The whole article is really funny :D

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2331308/senator-joe-manchin-wants-to-ban-bitcoin

"Due to Bitcoin's anonymity, the virtual market has been extremely susceptible to hackers and scam artists stealing millions from Bitcoins users."

""I am most concerned that as Bitcoin is inevitably banned in other countries, Americans will be left holding the bag on a valueless currency.""

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    If it was publicly known 8+ months ago that they were in danger of becoming insolvent, why didn't everybody (presumably everybody knew insolvency was imminent) remove their bitcoins/lolly from mtgox 8+ months ago, and why did it take it a further 8+ months to actually go insolvent.

Because mtgox had the best rates for selling bitcoin, they were selling there and in doing so basically betting it all on mtgox working it out and eventually processing their euro/usd withdrawal. At any point up until the BTC freeze a week ago, they could have converted to BTC, transferred, sold at the normal rate on bitstamp and had their withdrawal processed in a standard timeframe.
    They stuck it out at gox, I guess for the higher rate (if someone with first hand experience can correct me, let me know).
    Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Edit: Just did a check back on this topic and I'm a bit surprised not to see anything about a looming insolvency 8 months ago, maybe I missed it, I saw something about a server being down for a couple of hours but nothing about insolvency.

This thread might interest you - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179586.0
    279 pages cataloging mtgox's downfall. Widespread withdrawal delays started April 2013.

It's hard to google it without the latest insolvency news coming up, here is one article though - http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7064/with-current-processes-mt-gox-usd-withdrawals-could-take-22-months/
    Practically every comment is calling the insolvency and that was last September. It was widely suspected, they had been having problems all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Good news for Bitcoin fans in Ireland. An ATM is set to be installed in Hippetys Cafe in Temple Bar next week. And it should be ready to be used shortly after.

The group in charge of the machine also intend to open another machine in Waterford.

Link

I'm surprised that Waterford has been chosen instead of one of the bigger cities. Not complaining though since I live here :D

Good news for Bitcoin fans in Ireland. An ATM is set to be installed in Hippetys Cafe in Temple Bar next week. And it should be ready to be used shortly after.

The group in charge of the machine also intend to open another machine in Waterford.

Link

I'm surprised that Waterford has been chosen instead of one of the bigger cities. Not complaining though since I live here :D

What use is a bitcoin ATM exactly?

They have a bank note reader and can provide a print out of a bitcoin address with value (or indeed transfer it directly to your wallet if the ATM itself is net connected). Depending on whether the machine is net connected will determine if they provide an up to the second price, or sell from a daily loaded price.

Basically they change physical euro notes into bitcoins relatively easily.

AFAIK the one's being talked about here have permanent net connections and can scan a QR code to get the wallet address.

Much less common are ones that can dispense cash in return for your bitcoins, which as far as I know these bitvendo ones cannot do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

It's as PH said. I'd imagine they also provide more anonymity then buying from an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's irrelevant how secure Bitcoin is because servers, websites and computers can all be hacked in some cases very easily.

It's an interesting idea but it's not an investment or a replacement for fiat at least not in it's current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

martyoo wrote: »
    It's irrelevant how secure Bitcoin is because servers, websites and computers can all be hacked in some cases very easily.

It's an interesting idea but it's not an investment or a replacement for fiat at least not in it's current form.

You realise most fiat exists as a number on computers too? and that Bitcoin transactions can be created on offline computers, and Bitcoin private keys can be kept in physical form such as on paper, until they are ready to be spent. Bitcoin provides the ability to secure money in ways that never existed before with multi-sig wallets, though I haven't yet seen a user friendly wallet software offering this, only a matter of time though.

• Advertisement

You realise most fiat exists as a number on computers too?

Yes but I can call my bank or credit card company if my details are stolen or compromised and I can get my money refunded. You can't say the same for Bitcoin. There is no recourse.

What is going to happen MT Gox's customers? What would happen if your computer was hacked and the coins were stolen?

I get why people want it to work but I just don't think it will.

Yes but I can call my bank or credit card company if my details are stolen or compromised and I can get my money refunded. You can't say the same for Bitcoin. There is no recourse.

What is going to happen MT Gox's customers? What would happen if your computer was hacked and the coins were stolen?

You're right except one thing: when something goes wrong (crisis, panic on the market, public unrest) banks have the total control of your money and they use it. Hot of the press example:

http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-cbank-limits-foreign-currency-withdrawals-15-000-094519860--sector.html

"Ukraine's central bank will limit foreign currency withdrawals from banking deposits to 15,000 hryvnia ($1,500) per day, central bank governor Stepan Kubiv told reporters on Friday, a move to tame hryvnia volatility."

Have you heard that bitcoin transactions in Ukraine have been limited? I have not.

So maybe *you* get your money refunded but it isn't "magic" - someone somewhere pays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

As already stated many times, bitcoins are more like cash. You can print them out and stuff them in your mattress (or stuff usb stick in mattress). But of course someone could break into your house and steal the mattress!!

So maybe *you* get your money refunded but it isn't "magic" - someone somewhere pays.

I was just making the point that if your bitcoins are stolen then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Sure it's the same with cash if you leave in under the mattress but if I leave it in the bank then it's safe and the same for a credit card. If the money is stolen then it's returned.

As a matter of interest how do you see this panning out exactly? Where do you see Bitcoin in one years time? How long do you think it will take for it to be widely adopted as the currency of choice?

Even if it was 100% secure it's far too volatile to be used as a currency and even if it wasn't volatile what government in their right mind would allow it to gain adoption? To me it's just another speculative asset. Buyer beware!

I was just making the point that if your bitcoins are stolen then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Sure it's the same with cash if you leave in under the mattress but if I leave it in the bank then it's safe and the same for a credit card. If the money is stolen then it's returned.

You what?

I'm guessing you don't know how close everyone with money in Irish banks came to losing the lot of it. I'm guessing you haven't heard about Icelandic bank depositors, or even Cypriot depositors, to name just 2 recent ones that affect Europe, to say nothing of the recent US banks collapsing or investment funds like Madoff's.

The history of banking is one of huge busts, if you want to naively believe your money is safe in a bank then fair enough.
    As a matter of interest how do you see this panning out exactly? Where do you see Bitcoin in one years time? How long do you think it will take for it to be widely adopted as the currency of choice?

Even if you're (naively) happy with the safety of your deposited or invested funds they're in a currency that by design is worth less and less each year, because those that "own" it just keep issuing more and more of the stuff. If you keep your assets in Euro or Dollars you're forced to play in a game, because if you don't your hard earned cash is worth less and less each year.
    Even if it was 100% secure it's far too volatile to be used as a currency and even if it wasn't volatile what government in their right mind would allow it to gain adoption? To me it's just another speculative asset. Buyer beware!

Sure there's people like you saying it'll be worth nothing, there's others that are saying it'll be worth 100K per coin in the medium term. No way of settling that debate now, we'll see what the future holds.

I only have 10 or so bitcoins, but I am utterly convinced that they're as big a game changer as the web was, they allow computers send money using an open standard - they do for value/money what the web did for information.

Edit:

Recent picture from Singapore
    +4Dc0VPW_original.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for replying. Still don't see it working. This is from r/bitcoin too.

givemeyourcash.png

Imagine everytime you used your debit card you would have to wait 10-30 minutes for the transaction to go through. Bitcoin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Imagine everytime you used your debit card you would have to wait 10-30 minutes for the transaction to go through. Bitcoin...

Yeah your right, the 10-30 min transactions are so much of an improvement over the 5 days it takes a card payment to process. When you purchase something in a shop all that happens is the shop is told, yes this person has this money, the actual transaction takes a working week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah your right, the 10-30 min transactions are so much of an improvement over the 5 days it takes a card payment to process. When you purchase something in a shop all that happens is the shop is told, yes this person has this money, the actual transaction takes a working week.

And international transactions are done in 20 mins too, sending money from Vancouver to Dublin takes me a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Exactly how do people buy bitcoins with cash? Does the seller after receiving the cash then send btc via their smartphone at the meeting place to the buyer (who also would need a smartphone app to verify payment)? Are QR codes used (typing out the long btc address would be cumbersome)?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No it's called investing in things you believe are going to succeed.

yes I get it, many many people have been blind to the 'net, and never saw things like google/twitter/facebook as anything but novelties until they became huge, if bitcoin succeeds then its success dwarfs the lot of them put together. If it succeeds it's on par with Tim berner Lee's www .. it really is that big, it does to spending money online what the browser and html did for the web. Except it wasn't really possible to buy shares in "the internet" - but bitcoin does allow anyone who believes this crypto currency will succeed to join in (financially)

Even if it doesn't go huge - i think there's little downside to owning bitcoins at the current €500 price, it will remain a niche way of spending money/donating and there's very little chance it will be worth much less. So in my mind the downside isn't huge, but the upside could be incredible.

I bought 10 bitcoins @ €45 each lost a bit speculating and am going to buy back up to 10 - if those bitcoins are worth a million one day I'll be sure to post here!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-26307728.html

I get where you're coming from, and I've a few related thoughts on this, this isn't all directed at your post :) but it's related.

Firstly on the "why Bitcoin?" aspect : You're dealing with Irish banks and euro currency, which on a worldwide scale are relatively safe and stable. We're already seeing slower uptake of Bitcoin in Ireland than in other countries because people trust the banks to return their deposits and trust the Euro to not devalue overnight. Where would you keep your money if we had a Cyprus situation and deposits were frozen for days and then given a haircut? What would you do if the Euro lost 12% of its value in a day due to monetary inflation.

There's a reason Neo opened in Cyprus and not Dublin, and that Buenos Aries has 6 times the Bitcoin economy that Ireland has.

Secondly, on the security of traditional banking: Sure you're right, BOI, AIB get bailed out, no one lost deposits, if there's fraud on a credit card or ATM card skimmed you'll probably get your money back. But it's not free, either you pay for it with fees, or the losses get socialised to all users. Many people like that Bitcoin is buyer beware in this manner, that your own competence ultimately determines how safe your coins are, and that any losses by others incompetence does not come out of your pocket.

The libertarian viewpoint is that gox should be allowed to fail, not be bailed out and that good consequences can come from this. Allowing failure is necessary for better services to emerge.
    After this gox debacle other exchanges now need to convince users to trust them, it pushes them to improve transparency. One interesting point here, is that with Bitcoin they can prove they have control of funds without any kind of expensive 3rd party audit. Right after the gox trouble, Bitquick announced they now provide proof of their reserves.

The few who took a risk on gox lose, the many who didn't are rewarded with better alternatives that emerge.

The argument is that gov regulation doesn't work anyway, it just moves trust from people to other people. Anglo was regulated and still managed to make what I think are the biggest losses in the history of the world.

I realise these are quite extreme views, and I'm not personally a die hard libertarian, I'm just explaining what the viewpoint of many Bitcoiners is and I'm curious to see how it all pans out.

Thirdly, on the security of Bitcoin:

What if my computer gets hacked? well as you rightly point out then if that's where the private keys to my coins were, I have lost my coins and I'm never getting them back. Buyer/user beware indeed.

But, the Bitcoin protocol allows for some really interesting advanced usage to avoid this risk. You can create what's called a multi-signature wallet. This means you can create a wallet which has 5 (N) keys, and 3 (M) are needed to spend from the wallet. You can then disperse these 5 keys across a number of places, put one in an encrypted file in your gmail or drop box, print two on paper and put them in safe deposit boxes in banks, bury one in your back garden, keep one in your parents house. Anyone finding one key, or even 2 of them still can't steal your money, but you also have redundancy - if the banks refused to give you your keys back you still have 3 remaining keys you can use.

This is just an example, M and N can be any values you like 1 of 3, 5 of 10 etc. In my opinion this is a killer feature - distributed, redundant, secure storage without need for 3rd party trust (or cost). Is there any store of value in the world that offers this type of security? As I said before, creating these wallets isn't yet user friendly but there's no reason why it won't be.

Those speculating on Bitcoin aren't betting on Bitcoin being finished in its current state, they're betting on what future value it will bring.

Do you think the people queuing at the Bitcoin ATM in the pic in post #576 are waiting 30 minutes each for their transaction? You'll see the transaction reach your wallet in seconds, it just takes 10 mins for each confirmation. The chances of a transaction reaching your wallet and not confirming are tiny, for small transactions there's no need to wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I am a buyer of Bitcoin as the price falls. I think all this doom talk is a great opportunity. There were always going to be problems along the way

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Nice little article there.

The posters 10 btc @ €45 each, total €4500, v getting life ruining property mortgages out?

whats the relevance?

People once said its time to buy houses that crashed, and then other people said it was probably time to buy something completely and utterly different?

Speculation.. what can you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nice little article there.

The posters 10 btc @ €45 each, total €4500, v getting life ruining property mortgages out?

whats the relevance?

People once said its time to buy houses that crashed, and then other people said it was probably time to buy something completely and utterly different?

Speculation.. what can you do

I read the post I quoted and it reminded me of that infamous July 2007 article from O'Connor and the mood of the time. The relevance? Well, the point is for people to be wary in situations like this. Truly objective analysis will be thin on the ground. There will be those cheerleading for their own position and those who are bearish partly in hope as a salve for their regret of not getting in themselves years ago.

Reading through the whole of this thread I think it has been more an idealogical debate at times rather than a reasoned discussion about the item at hand - barring some of the technology details.

I reject your seemingly fatalistic attitude to investing too sir, being frank.

Seems to be some good news out to the UK of all places that normalizes the tax status of crypto currencies.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/vat/brief0914.htm

Are we looking at the last days you'll ever be able to buy a bitcoin for under €500? Prices are up 15% in an afternoon.

Up Up UP!!1

Up Up UP!!1

I think the phrase you're looking for is:

"To the Mooooooon"

C7QppOhp_original.jpg

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I read the post I quoted and it reminded me of that infamous July 2007 article from O'Connor and the mood of the time. The relevance? Well, the point is for people to be wary in situations like this. Truly objective analysis will be thin on the ground. There will be those cheerleading for their own position and those who are bearish partly in hope as a salve for their regret of not getting in themselves years ago.

Reading through the whole of this thread I think it has been more an idealogical debate at times rather than a reasoned discussion about the item at hand - barring some of the technology details.

I agree with most of that, I just don't think it's like for like comparing with the housing market crash (I would go into why but I'd be ranting about the latter and I don't want to drag the thread off topic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Couple of technical (I think!) questions and hopefully they haven’t been asked before…
    I plan to buy from bitcoin.de and (maybe) the vending machine opening soon.

- Is it the case that I can buy, say, 0.2 BTC and if someone has 10 BTC they sell me this partial BTC amount and a brand new blockchain code is generated (whereas previously all this person’s full BTC would have had their own blockchain codes)?

- Having received this partial BTC into my wallet I can take this stuff fully 100% “offline” (stored, for example on a USB key)?

- I can continue to buy small amounts, each one with their own blockchain codes, and store all this offline. Or is it the case that if I buy 0.5 BTC today from .de and 0.5 BTC tomorrow from the vending machine, they merge into one block chain code?

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote: »
    Couple of technical (I think!) questions and hopefully they haven’t been asked before…
    I plan to buy from bitcoin.de and (maybe) the vending machine opening soon.

- Is it the case that I can buy, say, 0.2 BTC and if someone has 10 BTC they sell me this partial BTC amount and a brand new blockchain code is generated (whereas previously all this person’s full BTC would have had their own blockchain codes)?

- Having received this partial BTC into my wallet I can take this stuff fully 100% “offline” (stored, for example on a USB key)?

- I can continue to buy small amounts, each one with their own blockchain codes, and store all this offline. Or is it the case that if I buy 0.5 BTC today from .de and 0.5 BTC tomorrow from the vending machine, they merge into one block chain code?

1) http://www.getelastic.com/wp-content/uploads/how-bitcoing-works-large.jpg
    2) all transactions are always-and-forever on line. You can take your private keys offline using whatever you want from usb key, paper to a qr-code cut on a lawn (risky option ;))
    3) same as 1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

The Baggot inn now accepts BTC https://twitter.com/Baggot_Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PanBrian

BitCoin is dead by all accounts....7%, half a billion have been stolen.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/bitcoin-dead_784187.html?page=1

PanBrian wrote: »
    BitCoin is dead by all accounts....7%, half a billion have been stolen.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/bitcoin-dead_784187.html?page=1

I'd advise you get your news and opinions from more informed sources, that 'article' is full of misinformation. Mt. Gox is dead, Bitcoin is still very much alive, as suggested by the very first line of the article, oddly enough.

alb wrote: »
    I'd advise you get your news and opinions from more informed sources, that 'article' is full of misinformation. Mt. Gox is dead, Bitcoin is still very much alive, as suggested by the very first line of the article, oddly enough.

I think you need to read it again, and add this to your reading list:

http://www.euronews.com/2014/03/05/another-bitcoin-bank-bites-the-dust-flexcoin-blames-losses-on-hackers/

I know about all of these events already. Gox was the only major one of these exchanges (though not the largest overall - one of the pieces of misinformation in the original article).

I didn't burn my euros when Anglo shut down or AIB went bust, and I won't throw away my Bitcoin because gox is bankrupt.

Bitcoin is decentralised, it's not dependent on any exchange or company. Every single online Bitcoin exchange could shut down right now and my personal coins would still be secure, and I'd be free to send and receive Bitcoins as I wished.

Don't get me wrong this news is terrible, I'm sorry people lost money, but at the same time it was due to extra risk they *chose* to take by entrusting their Bitcoin to a stranger that either already had a history of red flags (Gox) or was amateur and unestablished (flexcoin) and in both cases not insured, externally audited or particularly open about their security measures.

Bitcoin the protocol works fine, but it's clear that at least some of the Bitcoin company ecosystem is not ready for the kinds of money involved now. The bad companies will fail (either through being hacked, or being scams themselves) better ones will emerge. Only in the last 6 months has the issue of regulation really surfaced, it will come, and it will bring safegaurds for consumers. Also with the spotlight very firmly on the remaining exchanges there is pressure on them to convince us we should trust them by proving their reserves, getting independent audits etc. and this has already started.

Proving reserves of funds is actually easier with Bitcoin than traditional money, as you can publicly verify the balance of an addresses in the blockchain and companies can prove with a digital signature that they control them, it's up to consumers/regulators to pressure companies to do this.

There is no inherent reason a company dealing with Bitcoin cannot be audited, insured and regulated the same as any other financial company to protect the customers from theft and fraud - and it will happen. In the meantime it's buyer beware, don't trust any significant amount of funds to third parties, and learn how to secure your coins yourself, keeping any large amounts in offline cold storage.

In the meantime, the 2 ATMs coming to Dublin are a nice way the average person can dip their toe in the Bitcoin water, without going near any online exchange.

You can trust BitCoin, I will never trust it, neither will governments or the average consumer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement