Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ETH in freefall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah ffs Coinbase is an utter joke, falls over the minute theres any action.

I did try to register with them recently. Found their questions intrusive. Not too keen on sending that much personal information into the clouds

Tenx has raised 200,000 ETH (~$60 Million) in only ten minutes in yesterdy's ICO. :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure why it attracted so much seeing as there are other similar products -- Bitpay and Xapo -- available out there on the market. (I've ordered my Xapo early this week and patiently awaiting delivery within the next ten days or so).

What do they want a sum = US dollars 60 mln for? Did they issue a prospectus or similar?

Crazy stuff. Hope it is not all based on the greater fool theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

nuac wrote: »
    What do they want a sum = US dollars 60 mln for?

Crazy stuff.

Lambo's, exotic holidays, five year supply of free coke for all staff members? :)

It's crazy stuff for sure. Reminiscent of the dotcom mania in early 90's when outfits with no working business model, no income and no sales but with only a snazzy web-name were given humongous amounts of funding.

Well I won't be seeing any Lambos any time soon..

30% drop in the last 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Been following the market for years, drops like this are hardly unexpected. A lot of new investors this year who are not used to drops though. Wasn't planning on putting any more in for awhile, but if prices keep dropping will consider, will see how the yanks react when they wake up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am up 29% in the last 30 days, but then I only have Bitcoin.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am up 29% in the last 30 days, but then I only have Bitcoin.

Ether is still up 40% in the last month - despite the trend of the last 7 days.

It's all part of a wider trend across all cryptos anyway. It's red across the board. Mightn't be a bad thing to establish a more stable support level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you have a look at the chart for the last year the wild rises and falls are nothing new, the long-term view is that it tracks away at a nice pace upward and onward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

If you have a look at the chart for the last year the wild rises and falls are nothing new, the long-term view is that it tracks away at a nice pace upward and onward.

That's the approach i'm taking....in it for the long haul and as yet, not convinced to go beyond BTC (although have looked a bit more closely at ETH....but it has plenty of it's own problems ahead of it just yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

freefall at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's the approach i'm taking....in it for the long haul and as yet, not convinced to go beyond BTC (although have looked a bit more closely at ETH....but it has plenty of it's own problems ahead of it just yet).

I look at etherium and ask myself how is it different to Ripple, apart from sentiment.?

well they've woken up fairly grumpy on the east coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is the normal culling of the FOMO's. All those who bought in at 300+ thinking it only goes up are now panic selling rather than playing the long game.

To be honest, while my balance looks a lot worse than when ETH was at 350, I'm happy to see it come back into more normal ranges. It means I can buy a few more.

Once it stabilises and starts tracking back up, the FOMO's will be back to push it up again.

long game

long game

long game

I'll just keep saying that to myself

Whatever about BTC and ETH - I fear that the majority of these altcoins I have are nothing but a heap of utter sh1te really and they're going to evaporate quick sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

cnocbui wrote: »
    I look at etherium and ask myself how is it different to Ripple, apart from sentiment.?
    Ripple is a big no, no for me. It's controlled by establishment banking - they can manipulate it in an instant.

I know that many believe that it's blockchain that's important - in driving synergies within the existing banking system. However, I'm not convinced that it stops there. Yes, there is an opportunity for establishment banks to make savings on inter-bank transfers. However, I still believe what I believed when I first developed an interest in BTC i.e. a decentralised currency that can make it - and exist as a practical currency alongside existing FIAT currencies.

Perhaps there may be $ to be made on Ripple in the short/medium term - but it's at the whim of it's masters...something that rolls totally against the ideology of BTC (in it's original incarnation).

Etherium - is there a limit on how many tokens can be placed in circulation? Is it meant to serve the same function as BTC? I don't think it is - in any way, shape or form.

I know that many here just have a speculative interest. I can't really back anything that I don't feel I have a basic understanding of - and more importantly, a belief in.

Ethereum seems to have lots of potential - but it has yet to face the real world problems that BTC has consistently ran into - in it's real world development over 8 years. They will emerge with ETH in due course - you can be sure of that. How will the dev. team deal with those issues when they come up?

Is there already a question mark over ETH in that it cannot be considered to be immutable? i.e. they reversed a transaction (which led to the fork).

It's psychological

When it's going up - everything is brilliant, bright future, just wait till it goes mainstream, etc

When it's going down - **** this is worth nothing, doom and gloom

If you're having doubts just read this thread from the beginning ;)

I'm still in the green marginally

but it looked so much better just 7 short days ago

lads come here....when ye all make yer millions..how are ye going to get it out of the relevant exchanges/wallets? i notice kraken has a limit even at tier 4 of 500000 a month....

• Advertisement

i set up an alert on coinbase a bit back to let me know when eth is below 200 again.....i was half joking... looks like its going to get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

dashoonage wrote:
    lads come here....when ye all make yer millions..how are ye going to get it out of the relevant exchanges/wallets? i notice kraken has a limit even at tier 4 of 500000 a month....

Ye... When this becomes an actual issue you'll be hiring expert advice to sort out your problem not coming to a free open public forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nothing to worry about, sure they were only worth .10 cents a few days ago

dashoonage wrote: »

Financial advisor for large amounts. Approach the bank with all the details and records of how the coins were obtained. Cover the tax side of things. Withdraw in manageable amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

This has a lot further to fall now. Bitcoin retrace to $1360, Ether to $60, Monero , Dash and a few others will get hammered too but likely to survive but all the rest of the sh!t3coins to zero or close enough to it

The Cuban wrote: »
    This has a lot further to fall now. Bitcoin retrace to $1360, Ether to $60, Monero , Dash and a few others will get hammered too but likely to survive but all the rest of the sh!t3coins to zero or close enough to it

Are your forecasts for Bitcoin and Ether based on technical analysis ( charts, moving averages etc or some other reason that for $1360 BTC or $60 support levels.

• Advertisement

yes

yes

don't keep us in suspense mystic meg

helluva drop

This is more than just the Eth bad week, its the big dip after the insane rises of the last 7 or 8 weeks. The Asians are going to get some shock tomorrow if it doesn't have a significant bounce

lawred2 wrote: »
    mystic meg
    Wow, give me a chance to gather the info again. No need to get all ratty now that the price is falling. I`m traveling at the moment, when I`m home I`ll post it
    jezz some people are retards here

Wow, give me a chance to gather the info again. No need to get all ratty now that the price is falling. I`m traveling at the moment, when I`m home I`ll post it
    jezz some people are retards here

I wasn't being ratty.. Christ you're a sensitive one.

Less of the insults please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

Worrying news that fake reports of Vitalic Buterin meeting an untimely end (started on 4chan) lead to a significant decrease in ETH. Obviously there are other factors in play but it will severely damage ETH reputation in the short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

galway321 wrote: »
    Worrying news that fake reports of Vitalic Buterin meeting an untimely end (started on 4chan) lead to a significant decrease in ETH. Obviously there are other factors in play but it will severely damage ETH reputation in the short term
    4chan is a place where you can hardly go any lower on the internet, if they can spread something and it will catch on its like pouring rocket fuel to them.

that said quite few here seems are making killing and do get trading and risk, but the minute it gets 20pc down and few people going into red and this childish panic :cool: when it rises 300% in less than a month its grand but down its no :confused: it cant drop.

scamalert wrote: »
    4chan is a place where you can hardly go any lower on the internet, if they can spread something and it will catch on its like pouring rocket fuel to them.

that said quite few here seems are making killing and do get trading and risk, but the minute it gets 20pc down and few people going into red and this childish panic :cool: when it rises 300% in less than a month its grand but down its no :confused: it cant drop.

yeah I'm logging off.

Need to tell myself to come back in 12 months time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

scamalert wrote: »

Then a rumor that the status ICO guys were selling 40% of their stake, it bounced back up when they confirmed they werent on Reddit, could be coincidental it was right on $200 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Thargor wrote: »
    Then a rumor that the status ICO guys were selling 40% of their stake, it bounced back up when they confirmed they werent on Reddit, could be coincidental it was right on $200 at the time.

I read 4chan /Biz/ all the time, think you have to if you want to invest in crypto just so you can understand where all these news stories come from.
    There's people in /Biz/ that hate ETH with a passion, they're all trying to shill their memecoins and other bull**** agendas.
    These bull**** rumors always start in /biz/ so you have keep an eye out and educate yourself on these vile trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

Agreed on 4chan, it is the bottom of the Internet but the rumour worked. The relative ease of manipulating value is worrying

Short term problems I suppose

Signs of life

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Anyone investing in Golem or SingularDTV for the long term?

market looks to have stabilised a little... Not a bad support level really if the markets have truly stabilised.

ANTS seeing some inward investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

haven't really commented here but i disagree, particularly if investors are using technical analysis, i would expect another large correction in the coming weeks

• Advertisement

haven't really commented here but i disagree, particularly if investors are using technical analysis, i would expect another large correction in the coming weeks

can you share the technical analysis that you are using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i am using traditional methods, of course with the volatility of these markets, it may be irrelevant but it is plane as day that there is a definitive trend and investors are using tech analysis etc . i don't really need to share anything, i am pretty sure it is not going to stabilise where it's at, nothing suggests it would 9analysis point of view), it's either going down or up, 2500 & 2200 usdt look key prices? anybody else see this? Then again as you know, any sort of announcement positive or negative will probably lash this logic out of the water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

i am using traditional methods, of course with the volatility of these markets, it may be irrelevant but it is plane as day that there is a definitive trend and investors are using tech analysis etc . i don't really need to share anything, i am pretty sure it is not going to stabilise where it's at, nothing suggests it would 9analysis point of view), it's either going down or up, 2500 & 2200 usdt look key prices? anybody else see this? Then again as you know, any sort of announcement positive or negative will probably lash this logic out of the water!
    It has a pretty well defined  Head and Shoulder formation which points to potentially lower prices.

It has a pretty well defined  Head and Shoulder formation which points to potentially lower prices.

It should be noted, technical analysis is working from data in the past and cannot predict the future, it offer a statistical likeliness of price action based how that pattern has acted in the past.

human behaviour is well analysed at this point..

a lot of these things are self fulfilling...

"This looks like a head and shoulders pattern" - and the prediction begets the result.

Ive been tracking the amount of money flowing into these crypto currencies over the last few months, from this we can clearly see now that the amount of money needed to sustain the daily rises has peeked. Its a zero sum game now, the price can only go down. On top of which the money that has entered is mainly speculative, Bitcoin itself was a wealth store but even that has gone to speculative money now. Its impossible to predict the exact level which the values will fall to but the ATH levels from the past would be a good starting point but I suspect it may dwindle lower.
    Ethereum itself is really untested, its valuation is crazy for such. Loads of talks about smart contracts etc but no true understanding of the technology. Just loads of ICOs bull and crap. Let them develop it first then I will invest when what they have developed can be evaluted and a long term prediction can be made. At the moment these ICOs are just making chancers very rich.
    Cryptocurrencies have become total speculation now, yes there`s value in what Bitcoin can do and being able to send money anywhere in the world instantly and for next to free is great, but thats about all it can do at the moment and even then you still need to sell the crypto and then use a bank to retrieve the money which adds days onto the transaction.
    Its the speculation that is going to cause the fall in values as the ordinary mugs have exchanged there wealth.

Ive been tracking the amount of money flowing into these crypto currencies over the last few months, from this we can clearly see now that the amount of money needed to sustain the daily rises has peeked. Its a zero sum game now, the price can only go down. On top of which the money that has entered is mainly speculative, Bitcoin itself was a wealth store but even that has gone to speculative money now. Its impossible to predict the exact level which the values will fall to but the ATH levels from the past would be a good starting point but I suspect it may dwindle lower.
    Ethereum itself is really untested, its valuation is crazy for such. Loads of talks about smart contracts etc but no true understanding of the technology. Just loads of ICOs bull and crap. Let them develop it first then I will invest when what they have developed can be evaluted and a long term prediction can be made. At the moment these ICOs are just making chancers very rich.
    Cryptocurrencies have become total speculation now, yes there`s value in what Bitcoin can do and being able to send money anywhere in the world instantly and for next to free is great, but thats about all it can do at the moment and even then you still need to sell the crypto and then use a bank to retrieve the money which adds days onto the transaction.
    Its the speculation that is going to cause the fall in values as the ordinary mugs have exchanged there wealth.

so I should get out while I'm ahead...

• Advertisement

We have had a lot of mining and exploration "plays" here over the decades.

Some paid off, some still struggle on. Some were shills ab initio.

In too many cases the story collapsed when the hole was dug or bored.

Usually the arrival of news of the possible find/bonanza or whatever on the front page of the papers was the time to sell.

So far I have read just one article on Biz section of Indo on bit coin.

Might be some action left yet, but be careful. Heed the Cuban's remarks. Don't bet the farm

Advertisement