Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

nuac wrote: »
    We have had a lot of mining and exploration "plays" here over the decades.

Some paid off, some still struggle on. In too many cases the story collapsed when the hole was dug or bored.

Usually the arrival of news of the possible find/bonanza or whatever on the front page of the papers was the time to sell.

So far I have read just one article on Biz section of Indo on bit coin.

Might be some action left yet, but be careful
    I think it only hit the papers/news due to the dramatic rise, people still don't fully understand it - do you, this will stop it becoming mainstream for quite a while?? Bitcoin is the daddy, don't forget that, rumours that Eth will surpass it, hmmm interesting but how does btc respond, hard to dislodge a daddy. If they can keep it together, perhaps the outrageous projections will become reality - how long will that take though. The rumours are what makes this market so volatile. You got to be prepared to lose it all or take your gains and walk away satisfied it was the right decision for you at the time, regardless if it rockets down the line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

lawred2 wrote: »
    so I should get out while I'm ahead...

The market can fall further than this, it can also do it over a longer period

No one knows which way it will go, but the rise was parabolic - so a serious correction was needed

Similar crashes in BTC bought in the exact same doom posts, just read this thread, many of them.

The most important thing, I feel, is to make a solid decision. If you are in for the long term, then stop reading coinmarketcap and leave it. Else, sell and rebuy if you think it's going lower. Or just cash out. But definitely choose one.

Not one person I know is selling, we are all holding long term, been through all this before, it's expected in this market. Personally I have only put in what I could afford to lose - which is why this does not affect me. It's a pretty solid rule repeated everywhere crypto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Roonbox wrote: »
    It has a pretty well defined  Head and Shoulder formation which points to potentially lower prices.

TA is self fulfilling. It is not accurate, yes there are patterns but there is no guarantee what has happened previously will happen again. But a lot of people believe in it and they react on patterns, which then fulfils what they believed in. I know people who follow TA so they know how people are going to react, and not because of the stock in question. They use this as one of many methods to try and predict the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

people still don't fully understand it - do you, this will stop it becoming mainstream for quite a while??

I agree generally with what you've said in this post but thought I'd comment on this.

I think that we are still pretty far from any mainstream adoption of this technology, but I don't think this is due to lack of user understanding. Regular users don't need to (and generally don't want to) know how the technology is working under the hood. they just want to see the results. I think what we're missing is the infrastructure needed to support this technology. It is still far too complex to even send or store Bitcoin.

I've read about the analogies to early internet and think some of that holds, how easy is email now (my mother just started using it and that's saying something!), back in the 80s/90s my mother could not use email, and nowadays she certainly couldn't "use" bitcoin.

I'm reminded of this video showing how "easy" it was to use email in the 80's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdbKz5CyhA

And think we are probably in a similar time for cryptocurrency.

What's also interesting is that the email in that video is sent using Micronet/CompuServe, who don't exist anymore. It's anyone's guess as to what the landscape will look like in 10/20/30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ive recently got book on etherum and solidity programming- part of open source bundle, its god for newbs since talks a lot about blockchain, but what stood out was pushing the ehterum ICO which reading into is total bull, since concept behind these smart contracts you have to fuel them via etherum - on the grounds that its on p2p network,when actually its cheaper to rent storage which is pennies these days for any well developed app to maintain and security is what one makes it to be, thus what stands out to me all them ICO's raking in millions literally where in real evaluation most of these projects hardly would be valued over 100k and not even at that given at how early in development they are.

Anyways if someone wants to learn how to program simple smart contracts or read etherum let me know will email the copy 200+ pages long .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

jester77 wrote: »
    Roonbox wrote: »
    It has a pretty well defined  Head and Shoulder formation which points to potentially lower prices.

TA is self fulfilling. It is not accurate, yes there are patterns but there is no guarantee what has happened previously will happen again. But a lot of people believe in it and they react on patterns, which then fulfils what they believed in. I know people who follow TA so they know how people are going to react, and not because of the stock in question. They use this as one of many methods to try and predict the market.
    Sure some of TA is self fulfilling, but not all. 
    And either way it still ends up in the same place.
    Like I said earlier, its to be used as an indicator of a more likely outcome, but obviously not a predictor of the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

seklly wrote: »
    I agree generally with what you've said in this post but thought I'd comment on this.

I think that we are still pretty far from any mainstream adoption of this technology, but I don't think this is due to lack of user understanding. Regular users don't need to (and generally don't want to) know how the technology is working under the hood. they just want to see the results. I think what we're missing is the infrastructure needed to support this technology. It is still far too complex to even send or store Bitcoin.

I've read about the analogies to early internet and think some of that holds, how easy is email now (my mother just started using it and that's saying something!), back in the 80s/90s my mother could not use email, and nowadays she certainly couldn't "use" bitcoin.

I'm reminded of this video showing how "easy" it was to use email in the 80's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdbKz5CyhA

And think we are probably in a similar time for cryptocurrency.

What's also interesting is that the email in that video is sent using Micronet/CompuServe, who don't exist anymore. It's anyone's guess as to what the landscape will look like in 10/20/30 years.

Yes, I remember the early modems - very slow. I was with Ireland Online who were based in Galway. Could only log on at weekends to avail of local call rates. Outside weekend cost of calls were prohibitive.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You guys wanna play "I was here when all this was just 0's because 1's hadnt been invented yet?".... coooool, I'll play :)

I first connected to not-the-internet because you couldnt. Not unless you were a post grad in a uni and I wasn't even in Uni. :)
    I connected to Fidonet which was a loose, occasional network of ... guess what?? Bulletin Boards. :)

My first dial up was to my own modem, duct-taped to the underside of a table in the maths depts IT room and sneakily cabled into a PC running some telnet-style client which allowed access to the PHP-11 mainframe.

There was no web access not because there was no access, but because there was no web. That came MUCH later. When it did I went to look at the first ever website. And followed a link to the OTHER website.

I have seen the rise and fall of giant tech, proclaimed to be the world-eater and which most of you have never heard of. Geocities was on the cover of Time magazine. Geocities. Geo****ingcities!

All this has happened before, and will happen again. I'm sure something like Bitcoin will happen in time. These are the very early days of adoption. I just want to be sure that I have SOME of whatever turns out to be the one which is finally adopted in 2-5 years time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ETH is going to smash through $200

Nice if it drops to $100 for round 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

ETH is going to smash through $200

Yep, definitely looks like it'll keep dropping for a while..

collapse_zpskbob5iqp.gif

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

*immediately surges through to 215* >.<

DeVore wrote: »
    *immediately surges through to 215* >.<

221 :>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Sinking feeling this is a bull trap :(

Someone please tell me I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

KilOit wrote: »
    Sinking feeling this is a bull trap :(

Someone please tell me I'm wrong
    Get a screen where you can flick the graph between ETH and BTC, they are nearly completely identical on the hour day or week, every dip and peak, it still follows BTC to the penny and BTC isnt going to die anytime soon. They really need to sort out the exchanges though, they all go down the minute the action starts, its ridiculous.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm amazed coinbase still has customers, it's beyond useless.

what do you use? Coinbase sucks balls - when there is any action kicking off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm amazed coinbase still has customers, it's beyond useless.
    What do you think of the theory that they do it when they want to fill orders for themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Thargor wrote: »
    What do you think of the theory that they do it when they want to fill orders for themselves?

No I think they understaffed and useless... There's a thread on Reddit at the moment where a guys deposit of 200k hasn't gone through and he can't contact them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ETH heading for 250 now. Should've piled on at 3pm when it was just 190.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Head and Shoulders is for dandruff.

• Advertisement

ETH heading for 250 now. Should've piled on at 3pm when it was just 190.

You'll get another chance at below $200 in the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

idk, there was a solid floor under the price at $200 for Ether and $2200 for Bitcoin. It may hold at these levels

The Cuban wrote: »
    idk, there was a solid floor under the price at $200 for Ether and $2200 for Bitcoin. It may hold at these levels

It'll either tank or skyrocket. People saying this week was a bear trap, some are saying it was a bull trap. With all the fud right now and aug 1st pending, I feel it's a bull trap and everything will crash to aprils levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

el diablo wrote: »
    You'll get another chance at below $200 in the coming days.

Yup, another coming up ICO this saturday, another dip is coming. we are going to see all red again this weekend :p

These ICOs highly suspect imho.
    afaik no regulation of any kind
    One of these recently reported that $60 mln "raised"
    For whom? For what?

For whom? For what?

ICOs have only one purpose, to make their creators and insiders instantly rich for little effort. Any pretense that there is any other reason for their creation is pure fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I have a cunning plan -> Let's create a boards ico. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think initially they were a good funding vehicle (alternative to shares, it is the same principle). But the second start up companies saw they could raise $100+ mill in a few hours, mania took over, everyone is throwing any nonsense out there now and just saying blockchain over and over, and becoming overnight millionaires.

It is time to leave well enough alone. Sure you might make some money in a quick flip, but long term there will only be a tiny % of those companies that ever make a product at all, never mind a successful one and 99+% of those coins will be worthless.

Any day now one ICO will fail fast and people who tried the quick flip with big investments will lose a lot of money.

I got involved in an early ICO, spent 2 ETH that I had bought for €7 each on 3.7 coins. And then sold the coins for €195 each. .....but I did then spend all that profit on Antshares :pac:

I like that Antshares are now generating Antcoins for me. I've one tenth of a coin already from just leaving them sitting in my wallet.

I think initially they were a good funding vehicle (alternative to shares, it is the same principle). But the second start up companies saw they could raise $100+ mill in a few hours, mania took over, everyone is throwing any nonsense out there now and just saying blockchain over and over, and becoming overnight millionaires.

It is time to leave well enough alone. Sure you might make some money in a quick flip, but long term there will only be a tiny % of those companies that ever make a product at all, never mind a successful one and 99+% of those coins will be worthless.

Any day now one ICO will fail fast and people who tried the quick flip with big investments will lose a lot of money.

I got involved in an early ICO, spent 2 ETH that I had bought for €7 each on 3.7 coins. And then sold the coins for €195 each. .....but I did then spend all that profit on Antshares :pac:

I like that Antshares are now generating Antcoins for me. I've one tenth of a coin already from just leaving them sitting in my wallet.

I have ANS - how do you create the wallet?

• Advertisement

The ans wallet is looking to install a root cert. Ok to proceed?

This is the one I downloaded anyway https://www.antshares.org/Download

Can't remember if I got asked about certs, but I installed it and was able to send my Ants from Bittrex to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I have a cunning plan -> Let's create a boards ico. :pac:

BoaCoin - we'll strangle your cash! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

For whom? For what?

60mil?

Bancor raised 150mil and Status raised 250mil :D

and ya, if they keep doing scams like that, sooner or later the reg will get involved; it is insanity, it is worse than tulip mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Interested in getting into ANS myself, out of interest what is the interest from the coins/share, as in how many coins do you get over a certain time from a share? How often?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

The Ants are on the march this morning up to $8.50!

All the below comes with the usual warning of me being just some punter on a forum and not an expert :)

A few things about the wallets to consider. You can buy a % of an Ant on Bittrex but you can only move whole numbers. Plus it costs 1 Ant to transfer from Bittrex right now.

So if you have 11.88Ants and move it to your wallet only 10 will show up. When you go to move only move the whole number, either leave the fractions behind or round up your purchase.

I've left bits behind as they will wait on the Bittrex wallet until I buy/sell more. But in general don't buy small lots and move them, wait until you have all your buying done and then move it.

@Djan. In terms of the Antcoin payout this below explains it, but in short about 2000 Ants will generate 1 Antcoin per day. They automatically start to build up once you hold them in the official wallet. You can see how many you have earned, and claim them at anytime (you need to have earned 1 full coin)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Antshares/comments/6j2zw5/everything_you_need_to_know_antshares_vs_antcoins/

So the way Ants is different (from my understanding) is they seem to have created all the Antshares already. So no one is mining them like Bitcoin/ETH. The wallet generates the "gas" in the form of Antcoins. They will slowly release the Antcoins out to Antshare holders over the next 12 years (which means Antshares hold their value). People who use the network pay in Antcoins which they buy from Antshare holders.

So if the Antshare rise you benefit, but also if Antcoins become a valuable comodity you benefit there too.

Round and round we go, where it stops ....nobody knows! :)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

DeVore wrote: »
    Round and round we go, where it stops ....nobody knows! :)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

nuts - i think if it breaks 2600 usdt, could be up and up - then down ha

That's rising too fast already, has to be another dip soon

Interesting to see what coins were more "crash" resistant that others, which ones had the most swing and which haven't come back up

A few pages back and it was the big correction is upon us and now it's rising too fast.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    A few pages back and it was the big correction is upon us and now it's rising too fast.

:rolleyes:

Well it is rising too fast. Over 22% in one day is ridiculous.

After dropping that in the previous day..

The whole market is ridiculous

Would you be referring to Etherium, Bitcoin, Ans, Gnosis?

Cryptos are ridiculous, you shouldn't be expecting anything less.

I think the various markets are rigged. Should not bet the farm on any of these "investments"

That said, I did hold onto a small holding in Bank of Ireland. In 2008 they crashed down to below ten cents. I recall eminent advisers saying that they would never to below a Euro. When they did, the Euro price was supposed to be a "resistance level" from which they would rebound.

So whoever knows.

I think the various markets are rigged. Should not bet the farm on any of these "investments"

That said, I did hold onto a small holding in Bank of Ireland. In 2008 they crashed down to below ten cents. I recall eminent advisers saying that they would never to below a Euro. When they did, the Euro price was supposed to be a "resistance level" from which they would rebound.

So whoever knows.

They weren't factoring in a once-in-a-lifetime systemic crash with Ireland being hit especially hard

People make "forecasts" based on historical data and other factors. Cryptos are so unknown and so risky, no one truly knows which way they'll go, which is why we often hear "don't put more than you can afford to lose" on them. That said, Bitcoin has out-performed every other financial in the last 8 years. That alone means people feel it's worth a flutter.

anyone seeing delays with SEPA deposits to coinbase recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

anyone seeing delays with SEPA deposits to coinbase recently?

Was ok yesterday for me, made a transfer in the morning and it was there just after 11.

jester77 wrote: »
    Was ok yesterday for me, made a transfer in the morning and it was there just after 11.

made a transfer about 12 yesterday and still not there. Usually prompt enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Ants on the rise again tonight

Have put cash into Eth and Ans... going to hold for 12 months min. Cant stop checking the prices hourly >.< :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement