Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone get approval (level 2 and 3) for kraken recently? Mine has been processing for 7 weeks now.

In order to buy zcash I have to deposit fiat into my old bitstamp account, buy bitcoins there, transfer to kraken and buy zcash there with my btc. Pain in the bum!

Any other good exchanges where I can reasonably quickly get verified to deposit fiat directly to buy zcash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

For altcoins just use bitrexx to save the headaches, you will have to get btc somewhere so you cant avoid that.

It is always good to get several exchanges verified just in case you need them, other than the must have kraken and bittrex, the backup exchanges i can recommend are:

Bitcoin.de - german bunch running it, relatively reliable and safe, nice low fees due to SEPA
    coinfloor - UK based (pols running) exchange, relatively lower volume trades (main £, 2nd euro), you will get verified quickly and wont have downtime login failure problem, the only thing is that you have to deposit minimum 1000euro, nice low deposit/withdrawal fees as well; there is an express buy function as well but you pay abit more

other sites like bitstamp, btc-e are fine too; localbitcoin for the desperate time measure (no ID needed, but you pay a premium, various kind of payment methods (even post money))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KilOit wrote: »
    The ans wallet is looking to install a root cert. Ok to proceed?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Antshares/comments/6i7t02/antshares_client_trying_to_install_root/

Did you agree to installing the cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

lawred2 wrote: »

Was also a bug reported, here is a reply second-hand from one of the Devs
    Because of unfortunate incidences where people lost funds, pay attention to the following:
    If you have multiple addresses in your wallet DB (e.g. because you created a new DB, which automatically created a new address + you imported an address from a WIF backup) funds you send out to an external address will be withdrawn from your asset pool spanning all addresses in the wallet. Similarly, because of internal mechanisms required to enable this, funds will be automatically shared among your addresses. Be also aware that sometimes the balance of the addresses is not updated immediately and might show 0 until restart or rebuilding the index.
    An official explanation can be found on this Github repository: https://github.com/saltyskip/Introduction-to-Neo/blob/bc1a5a42e3dcd25c9a70c04701b2bb32c5cd745d/en/Neo%20Wallet.md
    As many people expressed confusion about this mechanism, the team is currently working on a more intuitive approach.
    Take away:
    If you have multiple addresses in your client DB and you send out funds to an external address, the balances of your individual addresses might change, yet the complete sum of assets will reflect your initial sum minus (-) what you have sent out. If you want to backup your addresses, either safely store the .db3 file (recommended) or backup the WIF keys of ALL your addresses.

This is why cryptos don't have more widespread appeal. Technical and risky as hell - the guy nearly lost 720 ANS in this movement

Dohnjoe wrote: »

This is why cryptos don't have more widespread appeal. Technical and risky as hell - the guy nearly lost 720 ANS in this movement

not market ready comes to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

thunderdog wrote: »
    Anyone get approval (level 2 and 3) for kraken recently? Mine has been processing for 7 weeks now.

In order to buy zcash I have to deposit fiat into my old bitstamp account, buy bitcoins there, transfer to kraken and buy zcash there with my btc. Pain in the bum!

Any other good exchanges where I can reasonably quickly get verified to deposit fiat directly to buy zcash?

You can buy zcash with BTC with no sign up hassles at cryptopia.co.nz

No, very few people would be aware of such technical snafus. The issues are far more complex and varied. Attempting to Tar Bitcoin with an Ant brush is pretty silly.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just got Tier 3 on Kraken (its like getting to the end level boss in a video game ffs)... took me about 4 weeks and a lot of support tickets. Complete joke... Bitstamp took forever too and I'm still waiting for Coinbase. You would think they could employ more people with the amount of cash they are losing this way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can buy zcash with BTC with no sign up hassles at cryptopia.co.nz

I'm looking to buy zcash direct with euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone know anything about IDNI Agoras?
    Its up about 200% today on Bittrex, seems to be on the back of this post here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=950309.2140

Crazy stuff indeed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No, very few people would be aware of such technical snafus. The issues are far more complex and varied. Attempting to Tar Bitcoin with an Ant brush is pretty silly.

I'm referring to all cryptos. I consider myself fairly technically savvy - and I have trouble with some of the wallets I have to use. I am so paranoid I won't even put all my holdings on a nano S in case some firmware upgrade screws the tech. The higher my holdings increase - the more stress there is.

I've been doing this for four years and will personally shoot anyone who says this is "simple". And don't get me started on the risk.

I would gladly pay a third party to deal with all this crap and insure everything

thunderdog wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy zcash direct with euro

In that case try kraken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm referring to all cryptos. I consider myself fairly technically savvy - and I have trouble with some of the wallets I have to use. I am so paranoid I won't even put all my holdings on a nano S in case some firmware upgrade screws the tech. The higher my holdings increase - the more stress there is.

You have the recovery phrase and if something were to happen to the ledger, you can still recover your private key.

I'm sorry, I've wanted to do this .....

AGRS to the mooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!

Bought at €1.07 at 13:54
    Now €1.38 at 15:48

Keep putting stop orders in, cancelling and raising..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I've wanted to do this .....

AGRS to the mooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!

Bought at €1.07 at 13:54
    Now €1.38 at 15:48

Keep putting stop orders in, cancelling and raising..

Good luck.

When you buy that yacht pls note that I have some navigating experience:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

nuac wrote: »
    Good luck.

When you buy that yacht pls note that I have some navigating experience:)

Me too - but if my cryptos are anythng to do by, I ultimately end up only going in one direction...

Down... always sinking but with the occasional thrill of a fast rise before reverting to down :o

Me too - but if my cryptos are anythng to do by, I ultimately end up only going in one direction...

Down... always sinking but with the occasional thrill of a fast rise before reverting to down :o

Saved by my stop orders, now at 0.95 and falling, made a little, could have made more, better than standing still i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

good time
    DeVore wrote: »
    Just h pals pals it pals it is a bit of a a a a a a a a blonde babe with Tier 3 on Kraken (its like getting to the end level boss in a video game ffs)... took me about-face 4 weeks and a lot of support tickets. Complete joke... Bitstamaap took forever too and I'm still waiting for ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt5ttttt you so much for your support for Coinbase. Your pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals pals would think they're could employ more people with the amount of cash they are losing this way...
    will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I'm referring to all cryptos. I consider myself fairly technically savvy - and I have trouble with some of the wallets I have to use.

I've been doing this for four years and will personally shoot anyone who says this is "simple".

This. + + + + +
    A coupe of friends have asked me about bitcoin. When I show them a brief skip-thru and come to the wallet storage stage, they go all glassy-eyed and give up.
    It might seem straight-forward to us on here, but for the ordinary fella who's not too savvy with computers and tech, it is really very hard. It is the downside of crypto -- it is what we have to accept with "being your own bank". The ordinary guy has his savings in the bank which takes responsibiltiy for its safekeeping and security; with crypto that responsibility is ours alone and the ordinary guy has trouble dealing with this and the steps needed to implement such security --wallets, 2FA, passwords, tx's etc.
    And that's before we get to the other lesser coins. Some of them, I even have difficulty managing ( yes, Siacoin, I'm looking at you).
    Then there's the sheer diversity of wallets necessary for different coins; it can be a nightmare keeping track of all of them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

good time
    will

wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

DeVore wrote: »
    wtf?

I'm thinking the same thing while watching the latest crypto crash this weekend.

Now ETH is flying again. Was hoping it would drop more first.

Now ETH is flying again. Was hoping it would drop more first.

Hardly flying

Hardly flying

Pretty steep rise at least. Haven't seen one like it since, er, Tuesday :pac:
    Though it seems to have settled out a bit again

Pretty steep rise at least. Haven't seen one like it since, er, Tuesday :pac:
    Though it seems to have settled out a bit again

And heading off south again

I wonder is it all bona fide supply and demand, or are people yanking our chains - feeding a good news story, then feeding out some BTC to t he market? Then some scare story, causing the price to drop, so that they can buy in some BTC?

Rinse and repeat.

Perhaps I am getting cynical in my old age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I wonder is it all bona fide supply and demand, or are people yanking our chains - feeding a good news story, then feeding out some BTC to t he market? Then some scare story, causing the price to drop, so that they can buy in some BTC?

Rinse and repeat.

Perhaps I am getting cynical in my old age

It all started as a bit of craic between a couple of nVidia techs n kinda got loose ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Rinse and repeat. Perhaps I am getting cynical in my old age
    If yer playing the speculative shorting game, then yes. If you weigh up the currency and play the long game, who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

What's a good bitcoin wallet? I've been recommended Coinbase, but I've seen a lot of negative reviews so am not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What's a good bitcoin wallet? I've been recommended Coinbase, but I've seen a lot of negative reviews so am not sure.

Coinbase isn't a wallet it's an exchange and you don't have control of your private keys. I use mycelium on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A "wallet" isn't a good term for it, as it leans towards you actually storing the value in the wallet.

All your crypto currency stays on the block chain. All you store is a long code that lets you access it.

You can literally write that code on a piece of paper, put it in a box and store it in the attic. It is as safe there as it is on any wallet.

You have a few free options. You should be doing something to back it up in two locations at least.
    Old fashioned pen and paper.
    Take a photo and store it somewhere safe.
    Copy it to a Word doc and encrypt it, and upload it to a secure cloud storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so few months back these videos were surfacing about either soft or hard for going for btc and July being mentioned,not its come and i see nothing of such mention, is it safe to assume there wont be any split with btc in short term future ?

also for wallet think electrum is great,granted it only provides btc storage but if thats what your looking for its used by many and id consider it safe given hardly anyone will decrypt 12 words to get seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

scamalert wrote:
    so few months back these videos were surfacing about either soft or hard for going for btc and July being mentioned,not its come and i see nothing of such mention, is it safe to assume there wont be any split with btc in short term future ?

August 1st is the date to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Yeah, sorry I did in fact mean an exchange rather than a wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

scamalert wrote: »
    id consider it safe given hardly anyone will decrypt 12 words to get seed.

Provided you haven't stored the copy of those 12 words in your documents or desktop folders like many that have been hacked have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

A "wallet" isn't a good term for it, as it leans towards you actually storing the value in the wallet.

All your crypto currency stays on the block chain. All you store is a long code that lets you access it.

You can literally write that code on a piece of paper, put it in a box and store it in the attic. It is as safe there as it is on any wallet.

You have a few free options. You should be doing something to back it up in two locations at least.
    Old fashioned pen and paper.
    Take a photo and store it somewhere safe.
    Copy it to a Word doc and encrypt it, and upload it to a secure cloud storage.

Here's a good option for a cold storage paper wallet.

www.bitaddress.org

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Checked my AntShare/Antcoin wallet last night, and I've nearly generated half an Antcoin already. :pac:

Antcoins have also started trading properly (about a week ago) and as people get to grips with it, they have gone from around 3.5CNY ($0.50) to 11CNY ($1.60). https://www.19800.com/market/cny_anc

Hopefully since Antshares generate income by just sitting in the wallet it will lead to a less volatile trading market but one that still delivers a steady upward trend.

And if Antcoins become the trading commodity. Their value could jump as well giving a double bonus.

Checked my AntShare/Antcoin wallet last night, and I've nearly generated half an Antcoin already. :pac:

Antcoins have also started trading properly (about a week ago) and as people get to grips with it, they have gone from around 3.5CNY ($0.50) to 11CNY ($1.60). https://www.19800.com/market/cny_anc

Hopefully since Antshares generate income by just sitting in the wallet it will lead to a less volatile trading market but one that still delivers a steady upward trend.

And if Antcoins become the trading commodity. Their value could jump as well giving a double bonus.

How many do you hold to have generated half a coin?

How many do you hold to have generated half a coin?

It comes down to time, any amount of shares will generate a coin if you wait long enough.

But you need about 1,000 Antshares to generate half a coin per day.

Lets say you buy 2,000 Antshares at today's price it costs just under $15K.

That will generate 1 Antcoin per day, or 365 for the year, which at today's price is worth $585

Which is just under 4% return. Much better than the usual 1% any bank account will give you, and that is if the price of Antcoins doesn't move. It is very likely it will keep going up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

They don't generate at the same rate each year, after 3 years that 1 anc will only generate once every 3 days or so. Haven't got the exact formula at hand but Max anc is 100mill

It comes down to time, any amount of shares will generate a coin if you wait long enough.

But you need about 1,000 Antshares to generate half a coin per day.

Lets say you buy 2,000 Antshares at today's price it costs just under $15K.

That will generate 1 Antcoin per day, or 365 for the year, which at today's price is worth $585

Which is just under 4% return. Much better than the usual 1% any bank account will give you, and that is if the price of Antcoins doesn't move. It is very likely it will keep going up.

They should have called it the Pyramid coin.

Pls do not use the P word around here.

This time it is different, honest.:)

What's the thinking? From what i can see it is the most stable and business backed of them all since ETH. So would like to hear any concerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Another exchange "hacked", I'll let ye find out which one, panic!!!

Kidding, Bithumb.

fortune.com/2017/07/05/bitcoin-ethereum-bithumb-hack/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Pls do not use the P word around here.

This time it is different, honest.:)

Which one: pyramid or Ponzi? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Vitalik certainly knows his sh1t !

(What happens to Eth price if Vitalik inconceivably pops his clogs? It collapses?)

What's the thinking? From what i can see it is the most stable and business backed of them all since ETH. So would like to hear any concerns.

The bit where the S coin has it's own in-built ECB, printing more little S coins so you can have the appearance of a 4% return as if it was actually a real investment where productive work generated the increased value.

Vitalik certainly knows his sh1t !

(What happens to Eth price if Vitalik inconceivably pops his clogs? It collapses?)

The same as what happens when any of us pop ours - the world continues to spin at 1 revolution per day and there is not the slightest perturbation in it's 365 day orbit around the the sun. We're all just flies hitting a windshield.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Which one: pyramid or Ponzi? :rolleyes:

Both, possibly

• Advertisement
Advertisement