Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

right, so it was indeed the nastiest bear trap of all time, BIP91 jumped from 27% to 45% in 4hours, and now is 7am china time, well played.

https://www.xbt.eu/

so yeah, hodl is the way and i will try to buy more in the following days, i am happy afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

seraphimvc wrote: »
    right, so it was indeed the nastiest bear trap of all time, BIP91 jumped from 27% to 45% in 4hours, and now is 7am china time, well played.

https://www.xbt.eu/

so yeah, hodl is the way and i will try to buy more in the following days, i am happy afterall

I have been hodling my Bitcoins watching the market plummet, looking at my watch occasionally, waiting for the inevitable unplummet. Sure enough, up nearly 15% today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have been hodling my Bitcoins watching the market plummet, looking at my watch occasionally, waiting for the inevitable unplummet. Sure enough, up nearly 15% today.
    Can we expect more fluctuations over the next couple of days? I think I'm ready to increase my coinage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Interesting times for bitcoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Can we expect more fluctuations over the next couple of days? I think I'm ready to increase my coinage.

Yep, there'll be a lot of volatility in the coming weeks.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Where do people get there crypto info from? Are they any decent groups online with good insight and analysis of the market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Where do people get there crypto info from? Are they any decent groups online with good insight and analysis of the market?

Bitcointalk.org
    Hackforums.net
    Reddit
    Discord app
    Telegram app
    4chan /biz/ for memes, shills and fud
    Twitter

Bitcointalk is the best though

Actually forgot the best news one, all the rest are discussion sites
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.breen.jake.bitcoinheadlines&hl=en is great for actual news from websites, theyre all on this app

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

Don't forget Slack aswell most teams have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thargor wrote: »
    Dead cat bounce or?
    lawred2 wrote: »
    The latter probably
    Meant former

So, it looks like you were right the first time.
    Some recovery in the past few hours!
    Coincidentally, if you'd bought when Thargor posted you'd be up 60% now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So, it looks like you were right the first time.
    Some recovery in the past few hours!
    Coincidentally, if you'd bought when Thargor posted you'd be up 60% now.

60% ??

I can't see 60% gains anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

115 increased to 185 on eth is 60% (approx)

115 increased to 185 on eth is 60% (approx)

Indeedily doodily... Not sure what I was looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mastercard and Cisco join the Ethereum alliance:

https://entethalliance.org/enterprise-ethereum-alliance-becomes-worlds-largest-open-source-blockchain-initiative/

Not a bad bit of news for any holders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Thargor wrote: »
    Mastercard and Cisco join the Ethereum alliance:

https://entethalliance.org/enterprise-ethereum-alliance-becomes-worlds-largest-open-source-blockchain-initiative/

Not a bad bit of news for any holders...
    except for ads popping up on youtube for mastercard eth for the last few months.

edit read it wrong :/ as if not a bit of news for holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm, more sluggish than I thought it was going to be, Im going to let it get a bit of media coverage over tomorrow US time and then Ill probably sell, Sunday really spooked me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Why do all these dips happen too far from payday to take advantage. Back up over 200 now and didnt have a chance to buy more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Going parabolic now, must drop soon

It's still good though, shows the Eth price can recover

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Going parabolic now, must drop soon

It's still good though, shows the Eth price can recover

Ah, the inescapable truth and certainty of the chart.

Bicoin_Chartist.jpg

Ok, that is a Bitcoin chart. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Hi.

Does anyone know if its possible to raise the limit on coinbase, and also what apps do people use to buy bitcoin, is coinbase the best?
    Its a very simple app to use, but I would like to invest more, and the limits are annoying.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Stan27 wrote: »
    Hi.

Does anyone know if its possible to raise the limit on coinbase, and also what apps do people use to buy bitcoin, is coinbase the best?
    Its a very simple app to use, but I would like to invest more, and the limits are annoying.

Thanks

If you go with GDAX you will get higher limits, but I find the 9k weekly to be more than enough. If you want to trade more than that, then Coinbase is not really the place as their fees are quite high compared to other exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Stan27 wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks

Coinbase and Gdax are the same company, if you're set up on Coinbase you're set up for Gdax.
    Limits are different depending on security and usage i think
    My gdax is 10k a day and Coinbase is 15k a week

Don't ever buy and sell on Coinbase, fees are huge. I bank transfer to Coinbase then put the Euros on Gdax.com

Go here to see how to move your funds to Gdax
    https://support.gdax.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2430129-transferring-funds-between-gdax-and-coinbase

Also note to use Gdax you need 2 forms of photo id, i used passport and drivers licence. Coinbase only uses one.
    Having 2 forms of ID and 2fa enabled might increase your limits

The plunge is on again

The plunge is on again
    Meh....a little bit. My cash should clear with Kraken shortly :-D

Need another big 'plunge' before 1 August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Meh....a little bit. My cash should clear with Kraken shortly :-D

Need another big 'plunge' before 1 August.

Aug 1st fork is looking like it won't happen, so don't expect any drama.

I see Parity wallet f**ked up big time by leaving initWallet on their multi sig wallet public. Hackers reclaimed the wallet and walked away with > $30 million of ETH... ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Don't underestimate Bitcoin ey?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭michaelp97

Do people think it'll take a big dip before Aug 1? I know it could rise or fall sharply after, just curious what happens before events does it rise or fall before hand

michaelp97 wrote: »
    Do people think it'll take a big dip before Aug 1? I know it could rise or fall sharply after, just curious what happens before events does it rise or fall before hand

lol

if only we all knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

lol

if only we all knew that

The current trend so close to the event would indicate the market believes the news will be good.

BTC has had a stellar week since Sunday morning alright

somebody must know something

ANS on a bit of a run as well today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

BTC has had a stellar week since Sunday morning alright

somebody must know something
    Miners started signalling for BIP91 late Sunday/early Monday and it is looking like it will be locked in before 1st August preventing a fork from happening.

Bitcoin is such an insane market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Are bit coin profits taxable ?

worded wrote: »
    Are bit coin profits taxable ?

They are but I doubt many if any people are actually paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭michaelp97

out of curiosity just saw the very first post was 4 years ago by someone they were interest in buying 1k of bitcoin, just wondering how much would that 1k be worth today?

out of curiosity just saw the very first post was 4 years ago by someone they were interest in buying 1k of bitcoin, just wondering how much would that 1k be worth today?

€2.4 Million, at the current price,which is up 22% in the last 24hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

OP posted in March 2013 when the price was around $250 so he could've bought around 4 btc.

Current value of 4 btc is around $11,500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

OP posted in March 2013 when the price was around $250 so he could've bought around 4 btc.

Current value of 4 btc is around $11,500.
    Nah, on 22/03/2013 1 BTC was about $70. His 1k would have bought him 14 BTC, today worth about $39,000.

I tried to buy them a little before this @$14, but the price rocketed up to $40 before MTGOX authorised my account. I bought €500 at this price, was planning to buy €5,000 but chickened out as the price was rocketing!

Like a fool I left my coins in MTGOX and they were wiped out by the collapse :(
    Luckily there were people trading MTGOX coins for 'free' BTC for 80c on the dollar so I got them out with a 20% haircut.

Bought a few more later at I think $400 each, never sold any, so I have 20 in cold wallets. If they ever reach about 10k I think I'll jump ship and buy myself a new boat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

pH wrote: »
    Nah, on 22/03/2013 1 BTC was about $70. His 1k would have bought him 14 BTC, today worth about $39,000.

I tried to buy them a little before this @$14, but the price rocketed up to $40 before MTGOX authorised my account. I bought €500 at this price, was planning to buy €5,000 but chickened out as the price was rocketing!

Like a fool I left my coins in MTGOX and they were wiped out by the collapse :(
    Luckily there were people trading MTGOX coins for 'free' BTC for 80c on the dollar so I got them out with a 20% haircut.

Bought a few more later at I think $400 each, never sold any, so I have 20 in cold wallets. If they ever reach about 10k I think I'll jump ship and buy myself a new boat :)

Sorry I was on the phone when I posted and didn't check correctly.

I bought some coins purely for Silk Road and then after realising what they were/could be I bought some more.

I had about 13-14 at one point but I spent some on Silk Road and lost some on MTGox and when Silk Road got closed down.

I still have just under 10 in 2 wallets. My total spend on them is around €2000.

I haven't got involved in any other coins.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    €2.4 Million, at the current price,which is up 22% in the last 24hrs.

Whoops, I read it as 1000 Bitcoin, ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone care to speculate when/if ETH is is going is going to match the BTC rally yesterday?, I would have expected it to be around $400 by now if it wasnt for the wallet hacks in the last week.
    These wallet hacks couldn't have come at a worse time for ETH investors, I do think ETH will eventually recover but short term there seems to be a lot of FUD holding it back.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Supercell wrote:
    Anyone care to speculate when/if ETH is is going is going to match the BTC rally yesterday?, I would have expected it to be around $400 by now if it wasnt for the wallet hacks in the last week. These wallet hacks couldn't have come at a worse time for ETH investors, I do think ETH will eventually recover but short term there seems to be a lot of FUD holding it back.

Lol 400 in a week from 180? Why would you have expected that? I think the recent volatility and pump schemes have your hopes set a bit high.

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone care to speculate when/if ETH is is going is going to match the BTC rally yesterday?, I would have expected it to be around $400 by now if it wasnt for the wallet hacks in the last week.
    These wallet hacks couldn't have come at a worse time for ETH investors, I do think ETH will eventually recover but short term there seems to be a lot of FUD holding it back.

It's recovered from 110 (Sunday) to 200 in under 5 days. Fairly decent performance you'd have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Lol 400 in a week from 180? Why would you have expected that? I think the recent volatility and pump schemes have your hopes set a bit high.

Well that was more in context of where it was previously in comparison to where BTC was and is now. I really dont think its unreasonable, cryto alt prices are usually well, a bit more insane/volatile.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Supercell wrote: »
    Well that was more in context of where it was previously in comparison to where BTC was and is now. I really dont think its unreasonable, cryto alt prices are usually well, a bit more insane/volatile.

I find that usually when there is a strong dip or crash in prices, that not all coins resurface at the same value, some spike, some drag their heels

August is Bitcoin's month and it's growth during the year was less exponential than Ethereum

Also Ethereum has experienced some hacks recently that have shaken confidence and it was widely considered to be v overvalued (whatever that means in crypto)

No idea what will happen on Aug 1st, but I would expect that since Eth has been 400 before, a particular piece of good news later on could easily send it rocketing upwards again

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Forgive my ignorance but it looks like the split will not happen now on august first. Is that correct? Will anything happen now on august first?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but it looks like the split will not happen now on august first. Is that correct? Will anything happen now on august first?

Hopefully the fix works (even if it is for the short term)!

I thought this interesting enough to draw attention to:
    As a result, traders and investors that lost confidence in Bitcoin and Bitcoin scaling who likely panic sold during a major market correction earlier this month returned to Bitcoin. Bitcoin exchanges and trading platforms including Coinbase experienced a drastic increa of bitcoin wallets se in users, with Coinbase adding a staggering 100,000 users in three days.

That's a lot of users. Reminds me of the graph I have posted a couple of times showing the increase in the number of bitcoin wallets over time, which is a straight line rising at about 40°.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The security of these various Bitcoin etc wallets etc is a concern for me.
    A lot of hacking going on. The fact that some of it is described as "Whitehat" is not that reassuring.

In ordinary stocks etc a long term investor eventually gets a share certificate which can be kept at home in a safe.

Now you have these long numbers and hope there is someone at home when you try to access.

• Advertisement
Advertisement