Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I got my Ants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

dabb25b46123a07e57bb27ada183b87b--archer-tv-show-archer-fx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Zascar wrote: »
    Excellent thanks. I want to start investing in a few Altcoins. Just small money maybe on some ico's but they can be extremely volatile.

A mate of mine has been fully into all this for a year - he's made serious money already and is now starting mining. He recons Veritaseum has the best potentioal based on the technology and the value it brings. Anyone else got any altcoins? There are hundreds - most of which will be dead in a few years however.

ETH, LTC, Stratis, Wave, Ark, Nem, Xel, Iota, Golem, OmiseGo, Neo

Do your own research but some of these should be a winner 1-3 years 5+ for Ark and Iota
    Buy on the dip coming to Aug 1st and after in increments of 10-20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Ledger Nano S arrived yesterday. Wasn't supposed to dispatch until August, not complaining :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Aspiring wrote: »
    Ledger Nano S arrived yesterday. Wasn't supposed to dispatch until August, not complaining :D

They are really nice.

Make sure to do a dry run first not to mess up. Send a small amount to the device, send it back, reset the device, re-enter the 24 word phrase code you wrote down and double check that the transaction history is still there.

Don't store that 24 word phrase anywhere but offline and don't input it anywhere else. You can pair your ledger with certain apps, this is different to entering the 24 word phrase, never do that anywhere.

I use a passphrase on my nano, it's an additional security step. I keep the bulk part of my crypto in that account, and just some small stuff for trading in the main account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Excellent thanks. I want to start investing in a few Altcoins. Just small money maybe on some ico's but they can be extremely volatile.

A mate of mine has been fully into all this for a year - he's made serious money already and is now starting mining. He recons Veritaseum has the best potentioal based on the technology and the value it brings. Anyone else got any altcoins? There are hundreds - most of which will be dead in a few years however.

https://singulardtv.com/

https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/singulardtv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bitcoin holders here looking forward to the hardfork next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Looking forward to bitcoin halving in 2020 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

For those not aware, some people are making an alt bitcoin fork called Bitcoin Cash: https://www.bitcoincash.org/ (BCH)

This is going to be a fascinating week for traders. With the fork looming on Tuesday we've had a rally of people buying bitcoins and moving them to personal wallets and exchanges that are going to support BCH. This means the ask side on many exchanges is quite thin now.

The alt bubble really seems to have burst, ETH has been hammered by bad news recently and they're taking an apparent further hit as people move to BTC to claim their BCH when the fork happens.

After the fork, there is likely to be high volatility on BTC and BCH, and it's likely the combined value of both will be equal or less to the previous value of BTC. I would not be surprised if BTC goes down quite sharply right after the fork and alt-coin BTC pairs rally at this point.

Once things settle down I expect BCH will at best survive like ETC does against ETH and at worst be sold down to almost nothing.

Has the BTC bubble popped? was 3k the peak? I'm not sure yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Don't forget if you have bitcoin on coinbase move it by Monday. Coinbase are suspending withdrawals at midnight on the 31st and are not supporting bitcoin cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

My Bitcoin is stored on a wallet which doesn't support Bitcoin Cash. Is it advisable to move it to a wallet that will support it after August 1st? I haven't really been following what's going on with this fork...

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

el diablo wrote: »
    My Bitcoin is stored on a wallet which doesn't support Bitcoin Cash. Is it advisable to move it to a wallet that will support it after August 1st? I haven't really been following what's going on with this fork...
    think electrum is safe choice,read a while that there will be support for it, on the app/software.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭OldHouse

Hi there

I'm new to all this cryptocureny business. My brother got me interested in cryptocureny, by sending my a few € worth the via the jaxx app in mid may. Since then, I've been hooked!!

At this stage I'm going to disclaim im Irish, because looking through a lot of the previous posts on here, not everyone is Irish!!
    That's not a bad thing per say, just saying it help knowing that when answering my questions 😀

Before I waste anyone else time with a blanket question, this is my limited experience trying to get into buying bitcoin/alt coins.

So far most my cryptocureny exposure has being through JAXX app and me giving him the cash. But long term that was never going to work!!

So I opened up an coinbase account, and everything went okay in terms of verification, and I even managed to register a credit/debit card. But then I hit a wall!! I can't buy anything, and the support is next to useless. Just bots answering the queries and not phone number. Anybody else get this in Ireland?

Then I went down to gsm solutions in Abbey st, and purchased some bitcoin for 9% commission and a 5 day. Not ideal!!

I found a exchange called bitpanda.com and found their registration and verification very quick and easy. I was also able to purchase a small amount of bitcoin via a credit card (less than €200) in less than 20 minutes, the caveat being I'm not fully aware of the exact fees!! I guesstimate it to be around 4%

I suppose my query is it better to pay an a slightly fee looking for the quick purchase than wait 4 or 5 days with a lower fee?

Also, I'm just in the investment stage, so cashing out is not really a priority at the minute, but if I did want too, what is the best options from and Irish point of view.

Is there a better exchange out there that has multiple currencies along with holding FIAT currency, and also provide shape shift facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Paddy El

OldHouse wrote: »
    Is there a better exchange out there that has multiple currencies along with holding FIAT currency, and also provide shape shift facilities?

Kraken.com will accept Euro deposits through bank transfer (SEPA) with. 1 to 2 days for a deposit with no fees. You can then trade in multiple currencies and they will be supporting bitcoin cash. A Poloniex account would give you access to even more currencies, but not fiat. Also, I've found Poloniex support to be very good when I needed it.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I bought 2 bitcoins back in summer 2013 for €350 or something each, I sold in 2014 for €465 each, Just looked that the rate they are going now for the first time in awhile. €2250 each :O I wish I held on to them longer xD

If you are moving off Coinbase do it today, they have a huge backlog already and it will get worse. I'm still waiting on 1 confirmation after over an hour.

Just going to fund my Kraken wallet, I don't have much in bitcoin and want to be able to trade off bitcoin cash if it does rally.

scamalert wrote: »
    think electrum is safe choice,read a while that there will be support for it, on the app/software.

Apparently Electrum will not be supporting Bitcoin Cash. Still struggling to find somewhere to park my BTC so that Ican take advantage of the fork.

Apparently Electrum will not be supporting Bitcoin Cash. Still struggling to find somewhere to park my BTC so that Ican take advantage of the fork.

Kraken is supporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

So, in around 36 hours -- Aug 1st, 12:20:00 UTC time -- the most significant event in Bitcoin's history will happen.

I have a couple of questions to you folks ................
    1) Any of you willing to make a call on the price of BCC after the fork? 200, 300, 500? (Currently, BCC is trading @ around $340 on ViaBTC).
    2) Do you think BCC will crash and burn after the fork, or do you think it has any chance at a viable future?
    3) Do any of you intend to buy BCC after the fork?

(I guess I should make a disclaimer/declaration -- I will be a buyer but only as at a price below $50. Purely as a longterm hedge in case the big block guys gain some traction with their hardforked coin).

Your views are welcomed.

Paddy El wrote: »
    Kraken.com will accept Euro deposits through bank transfer (SEPA) with. 1 to 2 days for a deposit with no fees. You can then trade in multiple currencies and they will be supporting bitcoin cash. A Poloniex account would give you access to even more currencies, but not fiat. Also, I've found Poloniex support to be very good when I needed it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks paddy

The bit of bitcoin I have is currently in a bitpanda exchange. Does anyone know if it's going to support bitcoin cash. Or do I need to move it to another wallet perhaps poloniex?

• Advertisement

Kraken is supporting it.

Been waiting two months for them to verify my account. Got an email from them last week saying I'm verified to Tier 3 but when I log in it says I'm only verified to Tier 1.

Thanks paddy

The bit of bitcoin I have is currently in a bitpanda exchange. Does anyone know if it's going to support bitcoin cash. Or do I need to move it to another wallet perhaps poloniex?

Bitpanda are not supporting Bitcoin Cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Been waiting two months for them to verify my account. Got an email from them last week saying I'm verified to Tier 3 but when I log in it says I'm only verified to Tier 1.

Log a support ticket. They are usually good with helping.
    You should be able to transfer any existing BTC to their exchange, though as mentioned earlier there's a backlog and delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Seeing as many exchanges aren't going to support Bitcoin cash, is it doomed from the off?
    No one seems to think of it as viable long term and are merely hoping to catch some short term positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I have a couple of questions to you folks ................
    1) Any of you willing to make a call on the price of BCC after the fork? 200, 300, 500? (Currently, BCC is trading @ around $340 on ViaBTC).
    2) Do you think BCC will crash and burn after the fork, or do you think it has any chance at a viable future?
    3) Do any of you intend to buy BCC after the fork?

I've not been following this as closely as I would like so let nobody be guided by this. As regards 1, I have absolutely no idea as regards the price of BCC. In terms of 2, I expect it to have 'some' value for the short-medium term at the very least. Lets face it - there's a whole load of rubbish alt coins that have some trading value (without a whole lot of indication of intrinsic value....or else they're flawed fatally in some way or other).
    With regard to 3, I have no intention of buying BCC. However, I would have an intention of buying BTC if the price was right.

I just intend to hodl both btc and bcc for the short term - then hodl btc longterm and probably offload the bcc when things have settled a bit.

The thinking is that bitcoin cash is an aggressive play. They will split bitcoin, trade heavily to spike the price of cash while driving down the coin to such an extent that they can claim bitcoin cash is the new bitcoin.

No harm in getting your bitcoin cash.

I'll watch it closely on the day but will likely sell off a bit if it jumps and hodl the rest.

I've not been following this as closely as I would like so let nobody be guided by this. As regards 1, I have absolutely no idea as regards the price of BCC. In terms of 2, I expect it to have 'some' value for the short-medium term at the very least. Lets face it - there's a whole load of rubbish alt coins that have some trading value (without a whole lot of indication of intrinsic value....or else they're flawed fatally in some way or other).
    With regard to 3, I have no intention of buying BCC. However, I would have an intention of buying BTC if the price was right.

I just intend to hodl both btc and bcc for the short term - then hodl btc longterm and probably offload the bcc when things have settled a bit.

Thank you.
    My views, fwiw .........
    Re (2), I think BCC will drop sharpish very shortly after the fork -- I think that a majority of BTC holders will dump their BCC. ( I also think that a few very wealthy anti-Core individuals like Roger Ver and such will then buy BCC at the bottom for a variety of reasons -- like Barry Silbert buying hugely into ETC after Ethereum's split in order to discredit ETH. Ver and sympathizers may try to force a strong BCC price as a weapon in a longterm campaign against BTC).

Re (3). I'm strongly coming to a position that I will buy one BCC for every BTC I buy ( when the dust settles later this week). Why? Purely as a hedge. If BCC does by some chance gain significant network hashpower in the coming weeks/months, then, it will be a markedly threat competitor to BTC. If BCC increases in value then BTC will drop in value. Conversely, of course, the opposite is also true -- if BTC increases in value, then, BCC will correspondingly drop. The combined price of both should not exceed the price of one. Therefore, I feel I should invest in both in a one-for-one plan. In the end, one of either forks will likely become a dominant coin with the other a bit-part player -- I ust don't want to be a holder of the particular coin that eventually becomes the "bad" one. :)

All of the above is only an opinion, of course. Everybdy should make their own decision after due diligence and consideration.

They will split bitcoin, trade heavily to spike the price of cash while driving down the coin to such an extent that they can claim bitcoin cash is the new bitcoin.

Yes, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Electrum are not supporting it at this point in time, however, if you have Bitcoin in an Electrum wallet, you will be able to avail of the equivalent Bitcoin Cash by getting a wallet that does support it and using your Private keys:
    How to redeem my BCC?

BCC wallets will require you to import your seed or your private keys,
    which can be exported from Electrum. Doing so will expose all your
    Bitcoin funds associated with that seed to the BCC wallet you decide
    to use.

Therefore, *after* the BCC fork, but *before* you enter a seed or
    private key in a BCC wallet, you should move all your funds to a new
    Electrum wallet, with a new seed. You will still be able to use the
    old seed or private key with BCC, because BCC has replay
    protection. Wait until your funds are confirmed in your new Bitcoin
    wallet, before you enter the old private key in a BCC wallet. This
    will protect your BTC funds from rogue/untrusted software.
    We reserve ourselves the right to use the name Electrum for a Bitcoin
    Cash wallet, should we decide to publish one in the future.

https://electrum.org/bcc.txt

• Advertisement

Bittrex seems to be supporting it too

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Coinbase isn't a wallet it's an exchange and you don't have control of your private keys. I use mycelium on my phone.

Will mycelium support bitcoin cash?

Will mycelium support bitcoin cash?

Startpage.com is your friend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Might want to think about getting a move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The combined price of both should not exceed the price of one.

The idea that if a coin splits in two then you end up with two coins that add up to the same value presumes that those two coins are in their own microcosm untouched by outside influences - there are a thousand altcoins and we've seen them being skimmed in preparation for this day, so why would BTC and BCC's combined value remain at the price of one single BTC?

Can't wait for this show to kick off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys if I want to buy a few alt coins, like NEO, EOS, Golum, Monero etc - where is the easiest place to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Zascar wrote:
    Guys if I want to buy a few alt coins, like NEO, EOS, Golum, Monero etc - where is the easiest place to do this?

Trade on an exchange. You'll need either bitcoin or ethereum to trade between coins.

grindle wrote: »
    The idea that if a coin splits in two then you end up with two coins that add up to the same value presumes that those two coins are in their own microcosm untouched by outside influences - there are a thousand altcoins and we've seen them being skimmed in preparation for this day, so why would BTC and BCC's combined value remain at the price of one single BTC?
    Network hashpower.
    If the combined value of BTC and BCC is > than the price of one BTC, then, it simply means that one of the pair is wrongly overpriced by the market. That sounds like a cop-out on my behalf, but it truly isn't. :)
    I'll lay you any odds that if after 12:20 UTC tomorrow BCC is "put in" at any significant price, then, the price of BTC will be lower to a similar value than it is today.

Looking forward to watching the sh!tshow meself, also. Already got the popcorn in. :)

Golem and Monero can be traded on Cryptopia. The platform seems very easy to use. I haven't traded, but I got as far as opening an account and getting a BTC address to send to for trades and that process was very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Network hashpower.
    If the combined value of BTC and BCC is > than the price of one BTC, then, it simply means that one of the pair is wrongly overpriced by the market.

It'll be interesting if you're right because the network hashpower hasn't had as much of an effect on the price as simple interest and speculation has in the past.

I'd consider both to be wrongly overpriced considering their current utility and the toxic nature of their respective devs and most fervent supporters.

This forum is a great place to source produce if you want to make a lot of vinegar.

• Advertisement

BTC in free fall since 6am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

yeah looks like its not going to break 3k now? Possibly due to issues on exchanges etc. Interesting yet nervous times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so today is the first, is the fork happening or whats the story ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

in an hour and 24 minutes..

BTC in free fall since 6am

WTF are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

cnocbui wrote: »
    WTF are you on about?

He is referring to the free fall from 6 to 10am where BTC went down by about 230 EUR quite rapidly. It's picking up now...

djan wrote: »
    He is referring to the free fall from 6 to 10am where BTC went down by about 230 EUR quite rapidly. It's picking up now...

That isn't free-fall, just a very typical move for Bitcoin, particularly when it it has just moved strongly up through €2,400.

Wall to wall sour-grape pushers and Chicken Littles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

now now, no need for abuse. no one knows exactly what will happen from the fork onwards. Current movement is also hard to analyze. plenty to be won and lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So, anyone want to predict what will happen :D

I reckon XBT will drop, but not too significant. What is more interesting is what will happen the altcoins. Usually they follow XBT, but I can see them going up in the short term with people dumping their BCC.

What is everyone going to do with their new BCC, hold, xbt, altcoins?

Interesting few hours/days ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement