Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

adam88 wrote: »
    Is ans the same as ant??

Ans was Antshares which is now Neo
    Ant is Aragon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Bitcoin cash is back up to €355 on Kraken if anyone was wanting to sell it off after the low run the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Have a situation with my wallet/bitcoin. Purchased two in 2014, backed up the dat file in about 4 different locations. Have since changed laptops, and managed to get the dat file into a new wallet on the new laptop (same wallet programme as on old laptop Bitcoin Core) so the 2 bitcoin are now appearing as the total I own. However I have just in the last 2 days noted the wallet is encrypted. I have no recollection of ever encrypting it, and all of my standard passwords I would use don't work. I've even run a few scripts to bang in as many variations of my password as possible but no joy. The whole thing is utterly baffling. If I password protected it I would have written it down in various places, like I do with every password I have and like I did with the dat file in backing it up in several different places.

This is obviously pretty bad news. I have an old version of the dat file, backed up the day after I first received the coins. Could I try upload this to a wallet and see if there is no encryption on that?

Firstly, be very careful who you give the wallet.dat to (people may offer to help with intentions of robbing you) or where you upload it. If someone else gets access to those coins they're gone.

Secondly it really sounds like you did put a password on it, which if you think about it is what would be normal behaviour. But maybe google for the same problem in case there's some weird issue with old core wallets or something? but I doubt it, or try downloading a different wallet that supports the same .dat format as core uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Bitcoin cash is back up to €355 on Kraken if anyone was wanting to sell it off after the low run the last few days.

Can I send my Btc from my jaxx wallet now to my kraken account and sell off my bitcoin cash amount? I know jaxx said they are going to be implementing it do not sure if I send my Btc to kraken I'll get access to my bitcoin cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Ans was Antshares which is now Neo
    Ant is Aragon

All seems complicated. Think I'll stick to eToro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

alb wrote: »
    Firstly, be very careful who you give the wallet.dat to (people may offer to help with intentions of robbing you) or where you upload it. If someone else gets access to those coins they're gone.

Secondly it really sounds like you did put a password on it, which if you think about it is what would be normal behaviour. But maybe google for the same problem in case there's some weird issue with old core wallets or something? but I doubt it, or try downloading a different wallet that supports the same .dat format as core uses.

Yep will try another wallet definitely at some point, was nowhere near selling point anyway so the only plus here I have plenty of time to figure it out but I'm near a dead end with all my usual passwords so pretty much stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did you ever get an email or text that might jog your memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

adam88 wrote: »
    All seems complicated. Think I'll stick to eToro

What is this etoro? Every video I watch on YouTube now seems to have an etoro ad on it with some lad talking about crypto. Fairly irritating after the first few times. Shame you can't seem to block ads on the YouTube app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

To people who have NEO (antshares), can I ask please ................
    What wallet do you use ?

What wallet can you recommend to me -- a wallet that doesn't require me to download and sync the entire blockchain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

To people who have NEO (antshares), can I ask please ................
    What wallet do you use ?

What wallet can you recommend to me -- a wallet that doesn't require me to download and sync the entire blockchain?

Are you looking to claim you ant coins?
    The web wallet is fairly straightforward to use. Otherwise the desktop client.
    You only need to transfer and sync ones to start your coins being counted and generated.

I just use the desktop client. The first sync takes time but after that it only takes a few mins. I log in every now and again to let it sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Some profit being taken out of ANS/NEO this morning

Doodee wrote: »
    Are you looking to claim you ant coins?
    The web wallet is fairly straightforward to use. Otherwise the desktop client.
    You only need to transfer and sync ones to start your coins being counted and generated.
    Thank you, mate.
    Could you post a link for both web wallet and desktop client, please?
    I know I should have done some research before I bought a bunch yesterday, but the buying was a FOMO thing after reading about NEO on here. :pac:
    After I bought them I went to withdraw to a wallet, but then went WHAAAT ! I tried some new gizmo wallet called CoZ that was highly recommended on Reddit etc, but the feckin' thing requires compiling a wallet yourself from Github code. To hell with that.
    This NEO is seriously far behind Ethereum, to be frank. It is certainly not user-friendly. No easy MyEtherWallet, no Etherscan blockchain explorer, no integration into Trezor. And the officially NEO website wouldn't even download for me.
    Anyway, I'ld be grateful if you would post up the aforementioned links.
    Ta.

I just use the desktop client. The first sync takes time but after that it only takes a few mins. I log in every now and again to let it sync.
    How long did it take you, bud?
    I tried to download some wallet yesterday but it is still trying to "finding the first block".
    Could you also link me to the desktop wallet that you are using? It would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

PPT is rocketing. I just bought some. A mate put 4k in and made 1k today alone. https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/populous/

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    PPT is rocketing. I just bought some. A mate put 4k in and made 1k today alone. https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/populous/
    It looks suspiciously like a Pump 'n Dump to me. :o
    This Populous thing is not listed on any exchange except EtherDelta -- the decentalized exchange that is mainly a platform for tokens. Not listed on Bittrex, Polo, or any of the others that usually do list most coins. Until it is listed mainstream, I would have doubts about it's longterm future, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Zascar wrote: »

christ... another one ive never heard of :) .... what is it?..

jobless wrote: »

my thoughts exactly - another one

has anyone actually taken any profits from their investments?.... just wondering how you are doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Take care of the pump and dumps, also coins that climb fast during this "up" period, can dive just as fast during the next "down" period

has anyone actually taken any profits from their investments?.... just wondering how you are doing it

Some coins have gone up several thousand percent (e.g. Ethereum up 2000% this year)

Typically convert whatever coin to Bitcoin, then move to an exchange like Coinbase (that uses fiat) - convert the coin to fiat and cash out

There are tax implications of course, and also for larger amounts people are using financial advisers to make sure the whole thing runs smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Looking to buy NEO but these are more general question;

Will be using Bittrex so first need to buy BTC elsewhere, right?

For the purposes of exchanging it all straight to NEO, should I buy BTC or another coin and where can I do this quickly and with low fees?

Many thanks

A quick recap of what I know (or think I know so open to correction) about Neo (Antshares) since it has some new interest.

Why the interest? People consider this the "ETH of China", the Chinese economy is huge and likes to buy/use Chinese. If it takes Neo as it's crypto of choice then there is a huge potential to grow. Extra Reading

What's different? All the tokens are already made, there is no more to be mined like with Bitcoin/ETH. This creates stability in the market. When you store your Neo Tokens in an official Neo wallet, your wallet works to verify the chain. The wallet grants the owner Gas (Antcoins) for every Neo token held.

So when Neo price rises you gain, when your token makes an Antcoin you gain, when the Antcoin price rises you gain.

What is the difference between Neo, Antshares, Gas and Antcoins? It looks confusing but is pretty simple. Antshares rebranded to Neo and are the "tokens" not coins. You buy Neo Tokens, but to use the Neo network you need Gas (previously known as Antcoins), much like using the Etherium network.

How many Antcoins will I get and what are they worth? Each Neo token generates a tiny fraction of an Antcoin eachday. You would need 2,000 to earn 1 Antcoin every day. (This will slow in a few years but for now this is the rate. Antcoins are also growing in value, they have gone from 50c to about $7.50 in the last few weeks https://19800.com/market/cny_anc/

Where do I get a wallet? You can download the wallets from here https://neo.org/download.

Where do I buy them? At the bottom of this page (https://neo.org/download) is a list of the exchanges that trade Neo (and Neo Gas).

How to buy? I use Bittrex to buy Neo. You need Bitcoin which you can pretty much buy anywhere, I used Coinbase as it is pretty easy and lets you use Debit card to buy instantly. Once you get used to buying/trading you should look at using SEPA transfers to an exchange such as Kraken as it is much cheaper.

What to look out for? Don't buy Aragon (ANT) or NeoCoins (NEOS) !, this is one thing that can catch people out. ANT is actually Aragon and nothing to do with Antshares/Neo. Neocoins (NEOS) are unrelated too.

If you don't use an official wallet you don't get Antcoins.

Another crucial thing to remember is that you can only move FULL NEO TOKENS to your wallet. Even though exchanges will sell fractions you will lose the fraction if you move it to a NEO wallet.

IE You buy 10.75 Neo, and you transfer 10.75. Only 10 will arrive in your wallet.
    Bittrex were charging 1 Neo to withdraw, but have reduced this. It wasn't a huge factor at $5 but at $20 it is. Do a little math and work out the fee in Neo, add that to the amount to withdraw so it is a full token amount.

Do I say "To the Moon"? Nope, you say Ants are on the march :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looking to buy NEO but these are more general question;

Will be using Bittrex so first need to buy BTC elsewhere, right?

For the purposes of exchanging it all straight to NEO, should I buy BTC or another coin and where can I do this quickly and with low fees?

Many thanks

Depends on your definition of quickly. In most instances you will need to wait for the length of time for a SEPA tansfer to be processed. With exchanges, you also have to wait for your documentation to be verified.

Belgacoin.com have about the lowest fees I have found for Bitcoin transactions and the least hassle process for establishing an 'account', though you do have to make a small initial transaction to become verified. They are not like an exchange where you can precisely time buys using pre-deposited funds, you have to just send your SEPA and cross your fingers regarding what the market price will be by the time it gets processed.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Some coins have gone up several thousand percent (e.g. Ethereum up 2000% this year)

Typically convert whatever coin to Bitcoin, then move to an exchange like Coinbase (that uses fiat) - convert the coin to fiat and cash out

There are tax implications of course, and also for larger amounts people are using financial advisers to make sure the whole thing runs smoothly

thoughts of handing over any tax on a very risky investment makes my stomach turn :) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

thoughts of handing over any tax on a very risky investment makes my stomach turn :) ...

You can always move :D

Where I live, it is tax free if you don't touch it for a year. It's actually a great incentive to hold for at least 12 months. So you actually end up making smarter trades and not trading some pump and dump coin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Have a look at the website, very interesting: http://populous.co/
    Had a very sucessful ICO. Had a big spike at the beginning. Some are definitely taking cash now as it has gone back down - but this is a long term play for me at least..

Many thanks

My advice is to sign up and join Coinbase. Once that is done, you can use a credit card (for smaller amounts) or a SEPA transfer for larger. SEPA can take approx 2 days if done beginning/middle of the week

Buy Bitcoin on Coinbase

Transfer your Bitcoin to Bittrex (take your time, transfer a small amount first)

Buy on Bittrex (I just buy at ASK price, easiest)

Then setup a NEO wallet, write down your password somewhere you will find it in four years when you come back to this

Move NEO to your wallet (again if doing for the first time, move a small amount first)

Do not rush any of this, the market goes up and down. NEO is already down 13% in last 24h and down 2.5% in last hour.

To give an example, it was $10, it dropped to $5 and people in here were already panicking and wanting to sell, doom/gloom, the usual. Now its back up to 15$. If holding long term, it's a rollercoaster. As always only put in what you can afford to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yes people need to appreciate the volatility but the overall trajectory on btc and certain other alts is upwards.

Swings of 30 or 50 percent either way over a few days are not unusual.

Just be patient and most importantly dont panic sell!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭OldHouse

A quick recap of what I know (or think I know so open to correction) about Neo (Antshares) since it has some new interest.

Why the interest? People consider this the "ETH of China", the Chinese economy is huge and likes to buy/use Chinese. If it takes Neo as it's crypto of choice then there is a huge potential to grow. Extra Reading

What's different? All the tokens are already made, there is no more to be mined like with Bitcoin/ETH. This creates stability in the market. When you store your Neo Tokens in an official Neo wallet, your wallet works to verify the chain. The wallet grants the owner Gas (Antcoins) for every Neo token held.

So when Neo price rises you gain, when your token makes an Antcoin you gain, when the Antcoin price rises you gain.

What is the difference between Neo, Antshares, Gas and Antcoins? It looks confusing but is pretty simple. Antshares rebranded to Neo and are the "tokens" not coins. You buy Neo Tokens, but to use the Neo network you need Gas (previously known as Antcoins), much like using the Etherium network.

How many Antcoins will I get and what are they worth? Each Neo token generates a tiny fraction of an Antcoin eachday. You would need 2,000 to earn 1 Antcoin every day. (This will slow in a few years but for now this is the rate. Antcoins are also growing in value, they have gone from 50c to about $7.50 in the last few weeks https://19800.com/market/cny_anc/

Where do I get a wallet? You can download the wallets from here https://neo.org/download.

Where do I buy them? At the bottom of this page (https://neo.org/download) is a list of the exchanges that trade Neo (and Neo Gas).

How to buy? I use Bittrex to buy Neo. You need Bitcoin which you can pretty much buy anywhere, I used Coinbase as it is pretty easy and lets you use Debit card to buy instantly. Once you get used to buying/trading you should look at using SEPA transfers to an exchange such as Kraken as it is much cheaper.

What to look out for? Don't buy Aragon (ANT) or NeoCoins (NEOS) !, this is one thing that can catch people out. ANT is actually Aragon and nothing to do with Antshares/Neo. Neocoins (NEOS) are unrelated too.

Another crucial thing to remember is that you can only move FULL NEO TOKENS to your wallet. Even though exchanges will sell fractions you will lose the fraction if you move it to a NEO wallet.

IE You buy 10.75 Neo, and you transfer 10.75. Only 10 will arrive in your wallet.
    Bittrex were charging 1 Neo to withdraw, but have reduced this. It wasn't a huge factor at $5 but at $20 it is. Do a little math and work out the fee in Neo, add that to the amount to withdraw so it is a full token amount.

This post is very informative and concise, so thanks. I also note looking at the NEO tokens today and they appear to have changes the abbreviation from ANS to NEO now in the past day or two.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/neo/

I'm very interested in this currency.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    My advice is to sign up and join Coinbase. Once that is done, you can use a credit card (for smaller amounts) or a SEPA transfer for larger. SEPA can take approx 2 days if done beginning/middle of the week

Buy Bitcoin on Coinbase

Transfer your Bitcoin to Bittrex (take your time, transfer a small amount first)

Buy on Bittrex (I just buy at ASK price, easiest)

Then setup a NEO wallet, write down your password somewhere you will find it in four years when you come back to this

Move NEO to your wallet (again if doing for the first time, move a small amount first)

Do not rush any of this, the market goes up and down. NEO is already down 13% in last 24h and down 2.5% in last hour.

To give an example, it was $10, it dropped to $5 and people in here were already panicking and wanting to sell, doom/gloom, the usual. Now its back up to 15$. If holding long term, it's a rollercoaster. As always only put in what you can afford to lose

NEO conference tomorrow and Thursday in Shanghai, so could likely influence the price.

jester77 wrote: »
    NEO conference tomorrow and Thursday in Shanghai, so could likely influence the price.

Do you think it will influence the price up or down? In your opinion?

OldHouse wrote: »
    Do you think it will influence the price up or down? In your opinion?

No idea, depends on what they announce and how the market perceives it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ethereum having a good few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It's just me of the whole crypto-currency mess looks like the dot-com bubble all over again?

For the young guns buying cryptocoins left-right-and-centre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

P.S. Bitcoin can't break the 3k barrier, but I guess when it does it will go to 4k quickly...

PrzemoF wrote: »
    It's just me of the whole crypto-currency mess looks like the dot-com bubble all over again?

For the young guns buying cryptocoins left-right-and-centre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

P.S. Bitcoin can't break the 3k barrier, but I guess when it does it will go to 4k quickly...

It already has :confused:

comment makes no sense, "it can't break it, but when it does...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

lawred2 wrote: »
    It already has :confused:
    Not if you are looking at it against the Euro.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Not if you are looking at it against the Euro.

The base currency (FIAT) on almost all exchanges is the dollar.

What if the Euro fell by 25% against the dollar - BTC would blast through the 3k Euro mark. But yet there would have been little extra investment in BTC to achieve that.

Search for "psychological price barrier". An example [1]:

"We document that prices in round numbers act as barriers with important effects on the conditional mean and variance of the gold price series around psychological barriers. [..]"

[1] https://www.researchgate.net/publication/4930971_Psychological_barriers_in_gold_prices

Check that page: https://www.bitcoin.de/en
    Switch to Classic View BTC/EUR on the graph and notice how the graph if flattened on 3k barrier.

Thanks.

PrzemoF wrote: »

I remember wondering if BTC could ever crack €1000. Same for €2000. I thought that it would in both cases. On Bitcoin.de a short while ago: 09:58:25

So it has already been through €3000. It may well do a retrace for a while with some profit taking but this sort of conversation may well be happening at €3996 about 4K.

I have come to realise you shouldn't use 'can't and Bitcoin in the same sentence. ;-)

The whole US stock market is a Dot.com bubble at the moment. You should be more worried about that than Bitcoin. The alt coins are most probably a bubble, particularly those where there isn't a fixed number of them.

• Advertisement

I got a few Antcoins(NEO) yesterday and I want to transfer them to an offical wallet. I went to the link above and got this page below. Which wallet should I use for my desktop, I'm running windows 7pro

https://neo.org/download

There is 3 different options for desktop

NEO-GUI , NEO-CLI & NEON.

I'm unsure which one to download, any help would be appreciated.

This might be a bit off track here, but what effect would a world war, say one between North Korea and the NATO effect cryptocurrencies? Would people take their money out of tradition stock and shares and more to cryptocurrencies or could it go the other way? Is there antidotal evidence to show pending wars or economic crises makes money run too or away from cryptocurrencies?

This might be a bit off track here, but what effect would a world war, say one between North Korea and the NATO effect cryptocurrencies? Would people take their money out of tradition stock and shares and more to cryptocurrencies or could it go the other way? Is there antidotal evidence to show pending wars or economic crises makes money run too or away from cryptocurrencies?

I don't think there has been a serious enough conflict while cryptos have been in existence for anyone to be able to answer that.

Supposedly there is a flow of capital to gold in times of conflict, but I am not sure that really occurs to any great extent anymore. I would be tempted to say Bitcoin is a proxy for gold, however, almost all mining is done in China.

Personally I don't think a North Korean conflict is going to be good for anything except rubbing China's nose in the massive error they have made.

I got a few Antcoins(NEO) yesterday and I want to transfer them to an offical wallet. I went to the link above and got this page below. Which wallet should I use for my desktop, I'm running windows 7pro

https://neo.org/download

There is 3 different options for desktop

NEO-GUI , NEO-CLI & NEON.

I'm unsure which one to download, any help would be appreciated.

GUI will work for windows 7 onwards

Keep an eye on an ICO called RMC. It is the Russian Miner Coin. Russia have decided to start using its extra power resource to start mining and stock piling bitcoin (which is big news).

RMC token holders will get 18% of their mining profits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement