Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Decent overview here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NEO/comments/6su31n/here_are_some_things_you_should_know_if_you_are/

Also use this to calculate how much gas you'll get (refer to "actual calculation"
    https://neotogas.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

DeVore wrote: »
    I own 1576 NEO.

Im not going to bed :)

Well done man, did you get in early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

For those of you who use coinbase, did you have any trouble signing up? I've had my ID verified, then when I try to add my card it will tell me to verify my ID again and I've done this 3 times

I was able to add my card once but when I tried to add funds it didn't work and my card isn't on my payment methods anymore so I don't know what to do and how to start

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

I own 1576 NEO.

Im not going to bed :)

😂😂 congrats man! By the looks of things the train ain't stopping right now

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Anyone interested in a boards/Irish telegram?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭OldHouse

My comp has been downloading and syncing the blockchain also ........ FOR 22 HOURS NOW ! Still no sign or appearance of being anywhere completed.
    This is feckin' bollox, frankly. I'm regretting I bought this sh!t. I'm a gonna shut off and cancel this downloading now, and tomorrow sell off these NEO. I don't care if they eventually go "to da moon".
    TBH, if a supposedly hi-tech ecosystem and it's team of expert developers cannot serve up a simple straightforward Light Wallet, then, I don't have much confidence in it.

I'm into my third day now but it's still doing something. Does anyone know what this height figure has to reach for the block chain to be downloaded?

Why would you sell of the NEO, even if you can't put them in a wallet. They seem to be on a bit of a roll at the minute. And even if half the hype is to be believed, its looks like it has some legs yet. I also read yesterday that the binance exchange is paying out GAS on storing on their exchange, can anyone else confirm this?

My comp has been downloading and syncing the blockchain also ........ FOR 22 HOURS NOW ! Still no sign or appearance of being anywhere completed.
    This is feckin' bollox, frankly. I'm regretting I bought this sh!t. I'm a gonna shut off and cancel this downloading now, and tomorrow sell off these NEO. I don't care if they eventually go "to da moon".
    TBH, if a supposedly hi-tech ecosystem and it's team of expert developers cannot serve up a simple straightforward Light Wallet, then, I don't have much confidence in it.

I'm into my third day now, and it still hasn't downloaded the blockchain. I will give it until this evening to finish. Does anyone know what the "Height" has to reach to have completed. Mines at 78901/1240794.

Why would you sell NEO when it seems to have so much potential? Even if you believe half the hype, it looks like it still has some more growth potential. Also I read yesterday that binance is paying out GAS for storing NEO on their exchange, does anyone else know if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

OldHouse wrote: »

I'm into my third day now, and it still hasn't downloaded the blockchain. I will give it until this evening to finish. Does anyone know what the "Height" has to reach to have completed. Mines at 78901/1240794.

Why would you sell NEO when it seems to have so much potential? Even if you believe half the hype, it looks like it still has some more growth potential.  Also I read yesterday that binance is paying out GAS for storing NEO on their exchange, does anyone else know if this is true?
    https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/gas/#markets
    They do appear to be trading it so its likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well I moved my NEO off the exchange

All went smoothly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

lawred2 wrote: »

All went smoothly enough

Is it recommended now that it's rising so much?

• Advertisement

Is it recommended now that it's rising so much?

who recommends anything?

I only need to be on the exchange to sell and I don't really intend on selling any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I own 1576 NEO.
    Holy cow, you're nudging towards Lambo country with that holding ! :)
    Well done.

Lam_zps4pkbel6w.png

Why would you sell NEO when it seems to have so much potential?
    Because I'm squarely uneasy about keeping it on an exchange -- particularly the Bittrex exchange where my 2FA has been disabled ( not by me) and cannot be re-enabled.

Saying that, tho', I'll probably hold for another day whilst this price is still rising. :o:o

Moved it to where? A web wallet? That's about as secure as a wall-safe made of chocolate.

Moved it to where? A web wallet? That's about as secure as a wall-safe made of chocolate.

neon wallet - it's a desktop app

Is that not secure either?

I don't think t's the neon core wallet as it didn't take any time to sync. So I'm not sure how different it is to a web wallet.

I did use it to create a new wallet though.

neon wallet - it's a desktop app

I don't think t's the neon core wallet as it didn't take any time to sync. .
    Okay. Thanks.
    I'll have a look at Neon, and try it out.

This NEO holding lark is a bit complicated.
    By having NEO I'm kinda going against a core principle of mine -- don't invest in something I don't fully understand.
    And I like to think I'm not stupid, I fully "get" BTC and Ether and most of the coding etc behind it. But NEO has me a bit stumped. How many people on here can say they fully understand the fundamentals of NEO, the Gas, what it's actually for, what the future roadmap is, how it will actually work in the real world?

Anyway, I'll check out Neon later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Okay. Thanks.
    I'll have a look at Neon, and try it out.

This NEO holding lark is a bit complicated.
    By having NEO I'm kinda going against a core principle of mine -- don't invest in something I don't fully understand.
    And I like to think I'm not stupid, I fully "get" BTC and Ether and most of the coding etc behind it. But NEO has me a bit stumped. How many people on here can say they fully understand the fundamentals of NEO, the Gas, what it's actually for, what the future roadmap is, how it will actually work in the real world?

Anyway, I'll check out Neon later today.

I would say no one to be honest..... I don't anyway...
    Its like Etereum...... has anyone even used it for smart contracts yet?..... or is it still all purely speculative

I have unclaimed gas in a wallet which has no NEO - am I prevented on claiming it if I don't have any NEO in the wallet?

jobless wrote: »
    I would say no one to be honest..... I don't anyway...
    Its like Etereum...... has anyone even used it for smart contracts yet?..... or is it still all purely speculative

isn't that what all those ICOs on the ETH blockchain are?

Because I'm squarely uneasy about keeping it on an exchange -- particularly the Bittrex exchange where my 2FA has been disabled ( not by me) and cannot be re-enabled.

Saying that, tho', I'll probably hold for another day whilst this price is still rising. :o:o

That is a bit worrying alright. It's a strange one this cryptocurrency, it's one big paradox. On one hand its going to be the way forward in terms of security and peer to peer seamless transactions on the other hand nearly every app/exchange/wallet has being plagued with bugs. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the technology as a whole!!

I'm quite new to all this and learning every day, but there is still stuff that frustrates the Sh1t out of me. Like why after 6 weeks I have not got my credit cards approved on coinbase!!

But while the market seems to be bullish I'm going to stick with it for the moment and hopefull one day work how how I'm get my money back out to FIAT without handing over a big wad to revenue. The quest continues!!

• Advertisement

That is a bit worrying alright. It's a strange one this cryptocurrency is one bit paradox. On one hand its going to be the way forward in terms of security and peer to peer seamless transactions. Nearly every app/exchange/wallet has being plagued with bugs. Does inspire much confidence in the technology as a whole!!

I'm quite new to all this and learning every day, but there is still stuff that frustrates the Sh1t out of me. Like why after 6 weeks I have not got my credit cards approved on coinbase!!

But while the market seems to be bullish I'm going to stick with it for the moment and hopefull one day work how how I'm get my money back out to FIAT without handing over a big wad to revenue. The quest continues!!

my own advice would be to stick to SEPA with coinbase. I was never able to get cards working.

I would also say that maybe that's a good thing because it forces me to only put money that I actually physically have into crypto.

I don't think I'd be responsible enough with access to credit card finance.

isn't that what all those ICOs on the ETH blockchain are?

yeah i guess thats the main value proposition at the moment but when the ico mania dies what then?..... im talking about the use of smart contracts in general business
    I havent kept up with news so maybe there is some other use besides ICOS

:D

You could try Bitstamp.
    I'm a fan of that exchange -- never felt the need to open an account with any other mainstream exchange since I signed up with Bitstamp in 2013. Fast withdrawals, fast trading engine, quick joining-up approval. No hassle. Oh, and on Aug 17th Bitstamp will be adding Ether/Euro pair to the exchange.
    Disclaimer, I'm not a Btstamp shill ......... just an average-Joe user. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

:D
    ..and on Aug 17th Bitstamp will be adding Ether/Euro pair to the exchange.

They're a bit late to the party listing Ether now after its big run up since the start of the year. In fairness they listed Ripple before its big move up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

On Radio Eireann 1 just now

Not too much emphasis on difficulties with wallets nor on ICO scams

One guy talked about buying Bitcoin at a slot machine in Dublin. I thought that was gone for some time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great idea - I'm in! Do you want to set it up or will I?
    Anyone else? PM me numbers

Zascar wrote: »
    Great idea - I'm in! Do you want to set it up or will I?
    Anyone else? PM me numbers

how do i join this?...

bitcoin breaks 3k euro..... whats everyones prediction for year end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

bitcoin breaks 3k euro..... whats everyones prediction for year end?

5k maybe. If all goes ok in the crypto space I imagine the total market cap will go over 200billion, January it was 30bil and now it's 124bil, it's really taking off with big industries taking notice and researching the technology.

Saying that its just one major hack away from disaster, another mt gox will send everything tumbling back down to the start of the year

• Advertisement

KilOit wrote: »
    5k maybe. If all goes ok in the crypto space I imagine the total market cap will go over 200billion, January it was 30bil and now it's 124bil, it's really taking off with big industries taking notice and researching the technology.

Saying that its just one major hack away from disaster, another mt gox will send everything tumbling back down to the start of the year

i wasnt around since mount gox but surely most people took that lesson and store them properly now and not on exchanges.... have to say i love my trezor

5k would be awesome btw :)

i wasnt around since mount gox but surely most people took that lesson and store them properly now and not on exchanges.... have to say i love my trezor

5k would be awesome btw :)

Does that Trezor hold multiple currencies, or just bitcoin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

KilOit wrote: »

Bitfinex got hacked last year and if you look at a price chart it's not even obvious where the hack was. btc-e went down recently.

I don't think there can really be another gox of the same magnitude for a few reasons. Firstly and most importantly trading is now spread over a large range of exchanges, so any one going down (as finex and btc-e did) has less of an impact. Secondly many people were sloppily using their exchange account as a wallet back then, even some of the bitcoin devs lost coins they had left on gox. Thirdly, because gox did not kill bitcoin, no one sees an exchange hack as a systemic risk any longer.

Honestly, now that we've gone through a fork ok, there don't seem to be many risks left that are untested for crypto. IMHO first world governments changing their minds and getting hostile towards crypto businesses or some kind of crytopgraphic or code exploit seem like the only risks left that can really disrupt the market.

Does that Trezor hold multiple currencies, or just bitcoin?

heres a list

Wallet Interfaces for TREZOR by Currency
    Bitcoin TREZOR Wallet
    Litecoin TREZOR Wallet
    DASH TREZOR Wallet
    Zcash TREZOR Wallet
    Bitcoin Cash / Bcash TREZOR Beta Wallet
    Ethereum MyEtherWallet
    Ethereum Classic MyEtherWallet
    ERC-20 Tokens MyEtherWallet
    Namecoin None
    Dogecoin None
    Bitcoin Testnet Custom TREZOR Wallet

Profit being taken out of neo today

Profit being taken out of neo today
    I sold some at $32 while waiting for a correction. It jumped to $37 before taking a dip again to current price. 
    Some on Reddit suggesting Whales are manipulating the market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Doodee wrote: »

Link?

Doodee wrote: »
    I sold some at $32 while waiting for a correction. It jumped to $37 before taking a dip again to current price. 

Isn't that the suggestion with every coin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

The whales are a great bunch of lads.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Zascar wrote: »
    Link?

Was around lunch time in the daily thread. Someone watching the buy/sell on the ledger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On a lighter note you can now get kosher cryptocurrency: BitCoen :pac:
    Sheshunova said there's no way to guarantee that only members of the Jewish community will use BitCoen. "However, the functionality of the system and the inherent features are most appealing to the members of the Jewish community," she said.

Said features include a plan to give 10 per cent of released coins to Jewish organizations as "tzedakah," or charity, and governance by a six-person community council.

• Advertisement

Lads if anyone wants to join we've set up a Boards.ie Telegram chat group:

https://t.me/joinchat/GL0rEw00CWENTsglPy112Q

Sorry try: https://t.me/joinchat/GL0rEw00CWENTsglPy112Q
    You may need to be on mobile with the app installed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

^Are you trying to click on it through a PC? In my experience, you need to be on your phone's browser (and it has to have the Telegram app installed) to get it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yes

Bitcoin flying up over night...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is this like a Whatsapp group?

I think there is ample footfall now -- and undoubtedly further interest in the future -- to justify the creation of a new cryptocurrency sub-forum on boards.ie. with room for disparate headers for the various coins and discussions.
    As it is, everything crypto-related is crammed into this "Buying Bitcoin" thread on the Investments Markets sub -- and it's becoming somewhat bloated.

Bitcoin flying up over night...
    No stopping the honey-badger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No stopping the honey-badger.

Not even by a bunch of marching ants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

OMG, those ants haven't an iota...

• Advertisement
Advertisement