Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Does anyone know what's the cheapest currency to use to transfer money out of bittrex. OMG seems to have a low fee. I want to transfer to bitfinex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Many of you guys made good money out of crypto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,986 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Literally dozens of Euro, more even...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 grazinggreen

Pussyhands wrote: »

What do you define as good money? I'm not sure many would be willing to divulge their profits but there is most certainly good money to be made in crypto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Pussyhands wrote: »

I dont have much invested in cryptos. I put in a small bit every now and again when I have the disposable income but I have more than doubled my investment since I started at the beginning of this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

el diablo wrote: »
    Me too, I'm holding long term. I don't have much Bitcoin Cash though in comparison to BTC (only moved a small proportion of my BTC to Kraken to take advantage of the fork).

Why does it matter where your bitcoin was? If you have btc you have bch.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you are an existing user and want to support the creation of a crypto currency forum, go here and +1 the thread! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104410660

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Austria! wrote: »
    Why does it matter where your bitcoin was? If you have btc you have bch.

Not true. If your Bitcoin was stored at Coinbase and several other exchanges and wallets you wouldn't've received Bitcoin Cash.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

It's not lost though, you can still get it if you move to an appropriate place I thought?

Thargor wrote: »
    It's not lost though, you can still get it if you move to an appropriate place I thought?

BTC needed to be stored at an exchange (or wallet) that supported Bitcoin Cash at the time of the fork in order to receive BCH.

• Advertisement

Jesus, must be a lot of people kicking themselves over that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Thargor wrote: »

Prior to the fork I held bitcoin with Coincorner.

Luckily I moved them to my Ledger Nano S in time.

After the fork Coincorner said they would not be supplying Bitcoin cash to their Bitcoin holders.

I won't be going near them again. Presumably they made lots of money from all the Bitcoin cash they held.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

BTC needed to be stored at an exchange (or wallet) that supported Bitcoin Cash at the time of the fork in order to receive BCH.

Nah, you can import them with your key/seed after. I have mt BTC in a wallet that doesn't support BCH, however all that means is it doesn't know how to display BCH, I can just move import to a BCH wallet to see my BCH balance whenever I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

It's not really about the wallet directly. At the time of the fork the bitcoin blockchain was cloned as the starting point of bitcoin cash, so every address with a balance was the same on both chains. If your coins were on coinbase, then they were in coinbases wallet which they control. Whatever the balance of the coinbase wallets was at the time of the fork has also resulted in that amount of bitcoin cash which coinbase can access. So they have bitcoin cash, they just have not given it to their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

That's likely because the Bitcoin are reserved for your purchase but your order hasn't been filled yet.

Something else that I noticed that's worrying, I have my IOTA in my wallet on bitfinex, but the amount of my coins is not going up with the % that IOTA is going up today, any ideas? I have them in my 'Margin' wallet .

Forget the above!!!

Below still stands.

I had then in 'positions', not sure how or why?

Also, anybody recommend an IOTA wallet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Yes, if your coins are on an exchange and then exchange didn't give you BCH then you are out of luck. But the exchange did get your BCH, they just don't want to give them to you.

With wallets you have to understand that wallets are just a way for you to access your coins. The coins are stored on the blockchain, not in a wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

maximus02 wrote: »
    Prior to the fork I held bitcoin with Coincorner.

Luckily I moved them to my Ledger Nano S in time.

After the fork Coincorner said they would not be supplying Bitcoin cash to their Bitcoin holders.

I won't be going near them again. Presumably they made lots of money from all the Bitcoin cash they held.

i haven't been able to find mine on my ledger nano s yet. i installed the app on the hardware, grand. but haven't been able to choose a chain in the chrom app yet. not sure what's up with that. i don't see what people see in the youtube vids etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cravings wrote: »
    i haven't been able to find mine on my ledger nano s yet. i installed the app on the hardware, grand. but haven't been able to choose a chain in the chrom app yet. not sure what's up with that. i don't see what people see in the youtube vids etc..

Have you the latest version of the chrome app, and the latest firmware - 1.3.1

You can change the chain in the settings of the chrome app. You can then choose main or split to put it on a different address.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

cravings wrote: »

These 2 links will give you some information and instructions on claiming your Bitcoin Cash on you Ledger Nano S.

https://blog.ledger.co/securing-your-free-bitcoin-cash-stash-d50aff765688

https://blog.ledger.co/managing-the-bitcoin-cash-fork-7229dde3f358

Remember that you have to have held your Bitcoin on the Nano S on August 1st for this to work. If you did then you should definitely do this as right now 1 Bitcoin Cash is worth €685 depending on where you look.

What this split will do is make 2 separate places in your wallet to hold both coins with 2 separate addresses. Before doing this you have to use the same address.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Nah, you can import them with your key/seed after. I have mt BTC in a wallet that doesn't support BCH, however all that means is it doesn't know how to display BCH, I can just move import to a BCH wallet to see my BCH balance whenever I want.
    Austria! wrote: »
    Yes, if your coins are on an exchange and then exchange didn't give you BCH then you are out of luck. But the exchange did get your BCH, they just don't want to give them to you.

With wallets you have to understand that wallets are just a way for you to access your coins. The coins are stored on the blockchain, not in a wallet.

Conflicting info here. So I will receive the rest of my BCH if I move my private keys from my wallet to an exchange like Kraken? Or not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Conflicting info here. So I will receive the rest of my BCH if I move my private keys from my wallet to an exchange like Kraken? Or not?

Yes you will. The only way people don't is if they don't control their own coins / don't have their keys because some site controls yoir key and doesn't tell you them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Newcomer here to the cryptocurrency market. Fascinating reading this thread - I agree we need a dedicated forum.

My brain is fried reading all about the different technologies, watching youtube vids etc. And I'm a CompSci guy, normally pretty good with this stuff!

I've opened an account with Coinbase which is great but it only offers Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin. Sorry if it has been asked before but whats the best company where I can buy most other cryptos in EUR (looking at IOTA)? I'm not really into trading, rather buying to hold long term in the hope of future value increases.

Also I'm not 100% sure on wallets, if I buy with Coinbase they hold the coins right, but do I have the option to 'download' my coins into a software wallet where they could potentially be safer? If I wanted to sell them again for cash, do I re-upload to Coinbase or have I got it all wrong :o What's the general feeling where to store?

Whoah, monero :eek it just doubled in value within a few hours. To sell or hold :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ETH seeing some recovery now as BCH drops off.
    The interplay between these and BTC is going to be quite interesting over the next while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Elessar wrote: »
    buy most other cryptos in EUR (looking at IOTA)?

litebit.eu is a Euro exchange with a good range (but I'm not sure if it has IOTA).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was about to buy Monero last night but decided on some smaller altcoins instead :(

What made it jump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zascar wrote: »
    I was about to buy Monero last night but decided on some smaller altcoins instead :(

What made it jump?

small volumes allied with a pump

time will tell as to whether a dump follows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭snowstreams

What made it jump?

It's leveled off now. The jump was due to a rumor that a new Korean exchange is going to use it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ethereum is off to the races... not sure what stung it into action but happy that it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Elessar wrote: »
    Newcomer here to the cryptocurrency market. Fascinating reading this thread - I agree we need a dedicated forum.

My brain is fried reading all about the different technologies, watching youtube vids etc. And I'm a CompSci guy, normally pretty good with this stuff!

I've opened an account with Coinbase which is great but it only offers Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin. Sorry if it has been asked before but whats the best company where I can buy most other cryptos in EUR (looking at IOTA)? I'm not really into trading, rather buying to hold long term in the hope of future value increases.

Also I'm not 100% sure on wallets, if I buy with Coinbase they hold the coins right, but do I have the option to 'download' my coins into a software wallet where they could potentially be safer? If I wanted to sell them again for cash, do I re-upload to Coinbase or have I got it all wrong :o What's the general feeling where to store?
    Welcome to the crazy world of Cryptocurrency !
    You're in for the rollercoaster ride of your life. :)

www.poloniex.com and www.bittrex.com are the go-to exchanges for the lesser altcoins ........... although neither as yet offer IOTA. For that particular alt the only platforms of reasonable repute that I am aware of are www.bitfinex.com and http://iotaexchange.com

Yep, unless you are definitely day-trading your coins, you most certainly should withdraw your holdings to a personal wallet. Exchanges have been known to fail, get hacked, go bust etc, etc. It is strongly recommended that you have personal control over your coins -- if you don't have the private key you don't actually own your own coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

DeVore wrote: »
    Ethereum is off to the races... not sure what stung it into action but happy that it is :)
    Not wishing to sound like aftertiming -- which is a horrible trait -- but the recent addition of ETH trading pairs to Bitstamp's platform, and Saturdays announcement of the anticipated release of the Metropolis upgrade in September must have motivated the market. This crypto lark sometimes gives us the power to "see the future" -- tho' not always. Otherwise we'ld all be mllionaires. :)

Like you, I am not displeased with ETH's price surge. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 indeq

Not wishing to sound like aftertiming

Whats this now???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I knew what aftertiming was before you explained it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Hi

I've been lurking around here for a while and would just like to ask one question as I'm about to start buying.

I want to but a number of different currencies, but I do not know what's the best way of putting these in to wallets.

I know getting a Bitcoin or eth wallet is simple, but what about others? Is there a one stop shop where you can store all your different currencies in different wallets, or do you have to set up all different wallets all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is the NEO GUI app acting up for anybody lately? I can't get it to open without it crashing without even opening up a window.

Is the NEO GUI app acting up for anybody lately? I can't get it to open without it crashing without even opening up a window.

make sure you have the latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Same here and I only installed it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

XRP has rallied this evening, up from €0.13 to €0.155
    Ripples twitter has posted a countdown, 3..2...1.. no idea what its counting down too but there has been lots of talk of new Ripple products and partnerships lately so maybe insiders are buying up in advance of an announcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Can anyone recommend an alternative to coinbase? Have been trying since last week to sign up and it still won't accept my billing address and keeps locking me out for 24 hours for too many attempts to add it.

Have tried every conceivable combination of my address and it rejects them all.

• Advertisement

Try kraken. Plenty on here use it.

Or bitpanda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 indeq

china bitcoin mine, electric bill of 39000 dolla a day. stupid. looking for a bit of the 7million dolla a day mining pie.

offs Ethereum..... >.<

That was some weak ass effort from ETH

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

A sea of red along most of my coins today.

Good day for shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

A sea of red along most of my coins today.
    Have a look at Bitcoin cash.
    Its the Altcoin to be buying at the moment as its lining itself up for a Battle with Ethereum and Bitcoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

I'm reading that it's not safe to keep coins on the market (I'm using Bittrex).
    Should I send to a wallet if I'm not considering selling for a while?

Get all of your money out of Bittrex and into a wallet. My Bittrex account was hacked last Friday and emptied, I lost approximately 950 euro. I had all my bitcoin and ether in a wallet but had left some of the smaller coins on Bittrex. Before someone asks, I had stupidly not setup 2FA. I have checked the trade history and in one hour on Friday approximately 60 trades were made unknown to me.

I'm not posting the above for sympathy, I know I messed up with the 2FA - just trying to warn and emphasise with others - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR COINS ON ANY EXCHANGE.

Please PM me if anyone wants to see the logs of how the hacking was carried out. This crypto world is dangerous..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Raoul wrote: »
    Same here and I only installed it today.

I found a solution on Reddit, apparently the Blockchain file has been corrupted and I need to delete the Chain sub-folder to get NEO-GUI working again. Whoop-de-fucking-do. :rolleyes:

Advertisement