Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sleepy wrote: »
    The first movie was probably my favourite of the Phase 1 stand-alone movies (probably due in no small part to my love for all things WW2) so I'm really looking forward to this one!

I love it also due to Hayley Atwell

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

She certainly didn't hurt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Scotty P

Double Bill for this tonight, Odeon in Blanch and Cineworld.

Was at a film in Cineworld last week and they showed the first half hour by mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,862 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It was OK to be honest.. far from the amazing movie some reviews have hyped it up to be.

Not the best Marvel movie but not the worst.. still goes to Iron Man 2.

Screening I went to had 12 people and you knew they were Marvel nuts like myself since they sat in their seats waiting for a mid-credits sequence at the end (which we got - ).

Felt the same way about
    Falcon as I did about Ben Foster's Angel in X-Men: The Last Stand.. that is, I didn't really like them... AT ALL!

Some great action scenes aside, definitely wasn't wowed by the whole thing! :(

Also, would have liked
    another cameo bar Maria Hill to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Saw it last night in Cineworld.

Loved it. Quite possibly my favourite in the Marvel movie franchise so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

For those who've seen the movie, here's the end Easter egg explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Went to see it last night and loved it the fights and stuff were so hard hitting nothing like we've seen in any of the marvel movies so far, I was even taken aback by some of it especially from Cap he was a beast
    As for the person above who complained about cameos....We got Crossbones, Arnim Zola, Baron Von Strucker,Batroc the bloody leaper , Agent 13 (sharon carter), Peggy Carter(old and young), Falcon, Hill, Sitwell, Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver, not to mention the massive roles by Widow and Fury, I think it was fairly stacked

I was knackered tired watching this and really wasn't in the mood for it , but i still loved it , I'd easily watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Saw this last night in Cineworld in Screen 17 after watching The Avengers directly before it and watching the original Captain America a few days ago. I was fairly blown away tbh and in my opinion it's easily one of the strongest Marvel movies and is right up near the top of my list (if not at the top).

It was a much, much deeper story than the first film and had a heavier emphasis on all out action. The fight scenes were impressive and Sebastian Stan does a fantastic job as The Winter Soldier - he had me on the edge of my seat throughout, helped by the well tempo'd score. The depth it goes into the Marvel Universe is unparalleled with
    cameos, namedrops and easter eggs all over the place - we got Armin Zola as an AI, Crossbones, Sharon Carter (the stunning Emily VanCamp *drools*), Dr Strange, Batroc the Leaper and Falcon. Post credits you got The Twins, Baron Von Strucker. We got hints that Hydra were involved in the demise of Tony Stark's parents, references to Banner with Toxin B and a few references to Iron Man (e.g. The upgrade to the helicarrier engine because Stark got a closer look, finding out Senator Stern who grilled Stark in Iron Man 1 was Hydra).
    . The bigger roles for Fury and especially Black Widow, were another big addition to the movie. For people like me who didn't know who The Winter Soldier was there was that added moment too, a bit like
    the Mandarin
    in Iron Man 3.

It's interesting to note basquille mentioned Iron Man 2 since I was reminded of the same film when comparing The Winter Soldier to Whiplash.
    Whiplash is genuinely frightening, he messes Iron Man up and for a good while the viewer genuinely believes he could kill Stark. Right from the first appearance of TWS after the Captain gives chase when Nick Fury gets killed I had a feeling that TWS would absolutely destroy the captain if given the right fight situation/play

I'm not a comic book fanboy but I got most of the references and am genuinely excited at the direction they're going in, it sets things up nicely for the future movies but also makes it a very strong movie in it's own right. So yeah, go see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from a 2d showing of this with the brother.

BRILLIANT.

Really really impressed. the action is not only intense, its fair brutal in places. just how some characters are dispatched is shocking at time (mainly at the hands of the winter soldier) but cap himself is elevated to badass status at times.

something i didnt think they could pull off

i LOVED the "cameo" by a sub villain and most importantly of all this film comes off as an ACTUAL film. not just a comic "event" film.

i really got into the story and indeed at two points have no prob admiting i shed a tear or two. no mean feat for a character that i can take or leave in the comics.

i have to say bravo to the directors.

its a good rollicking spy / action thriller and i reckon theres an entire generation of 12 year olds that were never treated with this much intelligence. IMO it deserves all the plaudits it getting an ill be off to see it again soon.

9/10 from me.

What I don't understand is the people who go to a midnight screening (ie. you should be a fan of and seen the previous marvel movies) and who get up and leave before both of the bonus scenes...

It's a Marvel flick! What are you, new? Sit your ass back down and keep watching.

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is the people who go to a midnight screening (ie. you should be a fan of and seen the previous marvel movies) and who get up and leave before both of the bonus scenes...

It's a Marvel flick! What are you, new? Sit your ass back down and keep watching.

There was some amount of them who did that last night. And then there were those who left after the first scene and didn't say until after all the credits :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Seen this earlier and thought it was very good. I've never read any of the comics so wouldn't be a fan that way and I actually didn't care at all for the first film, so I had no real expectations going in, so I really enjoyed it!

As I say, I've never looked at the comics so wouldn't have noticed alot of the in-jokes and references that people have mentioned, but a little touch I loved was actually a Pulp Fiction nod,
    the epitaph on Nick Fury's "grave" reading "The path of the righteous man"
    , thought that was class!

What I hate even more are the fanboys who roar with laughter at every single one liner or joke. Doesn't matter if its funny or not, they'll be falling out of their chairs and making so much noise that everyone else ends up missing dialogue. When I saw Thor 2 in the cinema you'd swear that it was the most strikingly original comedic masterpiece in decades given how some members if the audience reacted. Same thing occurred during Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

What I hate even more are the fanboys who roar with laughter at every single one liner or joke. Doesn't matter if its funny or not, they'll be falling out of their chairs and making so much noise that everyone else ends up missing dialogue. When I saw Thor 2 in the cinema you'd swear that it was the most strikingly original comedic masterpiece in decades given how some members if the audience reacted. Same thing occurred during Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

I saw it last night. Loved the movie. The post credit scenes were very interesting and I can't wait for the next additions to the Marvel storyline.

There was only about 10 -15 people in the cinema, there were 3 fanboys who were sniggering and laughing and constantly whispering about every single reference or mention of anything outside the storyline. It's actually very annoying. I know everyone is entitled to enjoy the movie with their mates but they did my head in. My gf was with me and everytime the boys went off on one she thought she was missing out on some part of the story which wasn't really fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭titan18

For anyone who's seen it in 3D, is it any good, worth going to or skip it and head to the 2D version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I saw it in 3D, I don't think there's anything in it that would make it better in 3D than 2D.

There was some amount of them who did that last night. And then there were those who left after the first scene and didn't say until after all the credits :confused:

I was at the same screening you were. There were really were far too many people who left before the very end. I had expected a few people to leave, but nowhere near as many that did.
    The first of the two scenes was especially cool and the second one may not have been super important, but served as a nice bookend for the whole film, so worth staying around for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So with Thor 2 and now Captain America 2 doing it, I guess we're looking at two extra scenes during the credits in the future? I'll be honest, it was a cute easter egg at the start, but everyone knows the joke now, I'd wish they just put the extra stuff at the end of the main feature - some of us have homes to go to :P

titan18 wrote: »
    For anyone who's seen it in 3D, is it any good, worth going to or skip it and head to the 2D version?

Skip it :) The Cineworld IMAX 3D projector had issues at the midnight screening and for two or three patches of 5-10 minutes in the last 40 it was just 2D and looked the business. There are no significant additions to the movie by 3D, it's not really filmed with 3D in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,862 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What I hate even more are the fanboys who roar with laughter at every single one liner or joke.
    Jesus.. the midnight screening I was at did not have one laugh, giggle or gasp..

.. pretty fecking emotionless crowd!

Might have well been the reason I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have hoped.. the atmosphere in a good popcorn flick with an audience can be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Basq wrote: »
    Jesus.. the midnight screening I was at did not have one laugh, giggle or gasp..

.. pretty fecking emotionless crowd!

Might have well been the reason I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have hoped.. the atmosphere in a good popcorn flick with an audience can be great.

Indeed, The Avengers was the last movie I remember seeing where the crowd got really into it, but not in an annoying way, quiet during the bits it mattered and some big laughs during the comedy moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

indeed; not being the only idiot laughing at Hulk thumping Thor and smashing Loki made it a better experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I really enjoyed it. I think it might be my favourite of all the Marvel movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it last night and for the first hour I thought it was great. Usually I lose interest in super hero movies pretty quickly but this one was a cut above. Solid opening scenes, decent dialogue, some good acting, I was thinking if they dont drop the ball this could be the best super hero movie yet...........but things got a bit run of the mill at a certain point and it went the way all other superhero movies go. Overall though it was definitely a lot better than any other super hero flick(of its type). The hand to hand combat scenes were really well done and it didnt get too ridiculous during the obligatory final show down between the good guys and bad guys. Just for once though it'd be great for a super hero movie to go a different way, maybe tell a more downsized story as opposed to the megalomaniac trying to take over the world or the secret organisation/invading alien force trying to do like wise. I know it has a lot of critics but I still think Watchmen was the Best super hero movie ever made. It was so different than the usual mind numbing nonsense like the avengers or superman.
    I'd Give Captain America 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed it.
    I was expecting a lot of exposition and a bit of origins re Falcon but I liked how they handled it "this is who he is, oh and by the way, he can fly using mechanical wings." He could definitely get a spin off I think.

I really enjoyed the plot as well, not your usual superhero fare and it was fairly ballsy to take down SHIELD like that, be interesting to see how it affects Agents and the other franchises. Not being a comic reader I didn't recognise a lot of the cameos but the one thing that did excite me was the reference to Dr Strange.

The one thing I didn't like was the rescue of Falcon from the collapsing building, it was OTT and I know that's an odd complaint in a superhero film but the helicopter flying in amongst all that falling rubble and tilting sideways I was like "Oh, c'mon!!" But again I'm aware how silly that complaint is in a superhero movie.

I absolutely loved the end credits, there's poster worthy material in there.

Post Credits Scenes:
    I don't know if it as on here or another forum but I totally called that that Hydra officer was going to have a role in introducing the offspring of Magneto. Nice little wink at their origins.

Looking forward to Cap 3!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

I realise the plots of previous Marvel films have included alien invasions, Gods, magic, etc, for some reason the overall plot of this film seemed a bit sillier than I was expecting (unless I misunderstood it!), particularly since it seemed to have a more serious tone than the other Marvel films.
    Was Shield / Hyrda essentially going to do a "Minority Report" and kill 30% of the population of the planet earth because of the "possible" crimes that they might commit in future? To what end?

Also; would it really be that difficult for any military not to just shoot down those three flying fortresses within a few hours?

The more I see him in the role, the more "meh" Chris Evans seems to be as Captain America. He kicks a lot of ass in this film, (nearly too much so at times - it'd have been nice to see him pick up a gun at least once), and is clearly being written as a worthy contender on the "Avengers" stage, but watching his scenes with Scarlett Johanssen, he's just so ...bland.

That said; summarising all the rest of the film in one sentence: I liked it!

Player 2 wrote: »
    I realise the plots of previous Marvel films have included alien invasions, Gods, magic, etc, for some reason the overall plot of this film seemed a bit sillier than I was expecting (unless I misunderstood it!), particularly since it seemed to have a more serious tone than the other Marvel films.
    Was Shield / Hyrda essentially going to do a "Minority Report" and kill 30% of the population of the planet earth because of the "possible" crimes that they might commit in future? To what end?

Also; would it really be that difficult for any military not to just shoot down those three flying fortresses within a few hours?

The more I see him in the role, the more "meh" Chris Evans seems to be as Captain America. He kicks a lot of ass in this film, (nearly too much so at times - it'd have been nice to see him pick up a gun at least once), and is clearly being written as a worthy contender on the "Avengers" stage, but watching his scenes with Scarlett Johanssen, he's just so ...bland.

That said; summarising all the rest of the film in one sentence: I liked it!
    As far as I understood it wasn't that the 30% of population were future criminals but more that they were more likely to object and fight back against Hydra.

I don't know what the military would take down the flying fortresses with, given that SHIELD are the only agency in possession of such FF and they looked fairly capable of defending themselves.

Re Chris Evans I think Cap himself is the problem, he's just such a straight, self-righteous, and bland character. I actually think Evans is very good at it. In a recent interview with Simon Mayo he was talking about how it can be tiring being the straight guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Sorry, "criminals" was a very poor choice of words by me. Zola said they would use "people's past, to predict their future"; and as you say, to identify threats / enemies to Hydra.
    I'm still a little unsure of Hydra's goal though?

The gunships were the means, but to what end? World domination? Surely 7 billion people would be opposed to that? And all it took was 1 man with wings to take down one of them.
    What blindingly obvious plot point did I miss there?

As for the above, the old saying goes that you're only as good as your villain, and Winter Soldier was very very cool. Thumbs up from me.
    I hope there's more of him in Captain America 3.

I think it was the classic world domination, and Hydra's belief is that the best way to do this is by taking away people's freedom.

The gunships' role was kill off the rebellious 30% using Zola's algorithm and DNA targeting. The remaining 7 billion would presumably just surrender and submit to Hydra's rule.

The thing that really interests me is how Hydra recruited so many people?

Also what a great idea to have the the computer of the ship protected by a glass dome on the bottom of the ship. I'm presuming the designer was the same guy who did the Death Star :D

RE Winter Soldier some very spoilery speculation beyond this point so beware!!!
    Supposedly Stan has signed a 9 picture deal and there is talk that he will take over as Cap when Evans steps down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just back from the cinema. Very enjoyable. Really liked the espionage stuff, some of it reminded me of a Bond film. Also the story should lead to interesting ramifications for other films in the franchise.

All in all, for me, I think the Captain America films have been two of the most enjoyable of the Marvel universe.

Advertisement