Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I adore this movie. I just want it to hurry up and arrive on Blu ray.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I watched this last night, don't know why I'd put it off, fear of jingoism I expect.

What I got was an absolute delight, I was shocked at the quality of the story & the action.
    Slips easily into 2nd place behind The Avengers in the Marvel films.
    Delighted Widow & Fury go fully fleshed out roles.

Easily, 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it a lot. The action was good (no crazy editing!) and the special effects were excellent. There was plenty intrigue in the story which, I think, lends it more to adults than kids.
    I liked the joke at the end with Nick Fury's headstone too. They didn't labour it and it was a blin-and-you'll-miss-it moment

Looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yea, I watched it over the weekend... Good movie, but he´s a crap superhero....

He almost got beaten up by a french guy... How is he going to thwart the threat of Thanos... tickle his bum..?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

He almost got beaten up by a french guy...

Yes, Batroc the Leaper. He's in the comics, too.

• Advertisement

Lack of one shot on the blu ray makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,512 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yes, Batroc the Leaper. He's in the comics, too.

I also didn't think he also got beaten by him. He pretty much dominates the guy - especially after he takes off the shield.

I also didn't think he also got beaten by him. He pretty much dominates the guy - especially after he takes off the shield.

That was also the impression I got. He beats Batroc, he beats the Winter Soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Yea, I watched it over the weekend... Good movie, but he´s a crap superhero....

He almost got beaten up by a french guy... How is he going to thwart the threat of Thanos... tickle his bum..?

Eh, well in fairness I don't think he's planning on taking Thanos on by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

cloud493 wrote: »
    Lack of one shot on the blu ray makes me sad.

?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,223 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Eh, well in fairness I don't think he's planning on taking Thanos on by himself.

What appeals to me about Cap, particularly the way he's been played in the movies at least, is if it came down to it he wouldn't think twice about taking Thanos on himself even though he knows he wouldn't have a hope.

cloud493 wrote: »
    He beats Batroc, he beats the Winter Soldier.

Spoilers ho:
    I just looked on Youtube - he beats Batroc in 1 minute 20 seconds. The Winter Soldier escapes from him easily after the attack on Fury. The Winter Soldier plus a whole gang lose to Cap, Falcon and Black Widow in the freeway fight, and in the finale, Captain America wins despite being shot and stabbed during the fight, and the Winter Soldier only escapes because Steve refuses to fight on after he wins.

?

Theres no one shot extra little film on the DVD/blu ray of Cap 2/.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What appeals to me about Cap, particularly the way he's been played in the movies at least, is if it came down to it he wouldn't think twice about taking Thanos on himself even though he knows he wouldn't have a hope.

In my opinion, his primary appeal is his deep-rooted morals and the contrast with today's world, ie espionage, drones, etc... It was touched on with Winter Soldier but it could make for a really interesting thriller down the line.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He almost got beaten up by a french guy..

He beat the absolute bejesus out of Batroc.

Also, Cap doesn't really have any super powers as such, he's just at the pinnacle of human strength, agility etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I watched this the other day purely because it's been so well received - I don't actually remember the first film coz it bored me to sleep.

Anyway, this was really good. Nothing too over the top, just a crisp clean entertaing film. It was a nice surprise to see GSP play Batroc - I knew nothing of that beforehand. I kinda laughed at that fight scene thinking, "I wonder how much of a chance Chris Evans would have against GSP in real life?".

As mentioned above I also had quite a few moments thinking Iron Man or the others could have been a great help. Still, it didn't offend me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

theteal wrote: »
    I watched this the other day purely because it's been so well received - I don't actually remember the first film coz it bored me to sleep.

Anyway, this was really good. Nothing too over the top, just a crisp clean entertaing film. It was a nice surprise to see GSP play Batroc - I knew nothing of that beforehand. I kinda laughed at that fight scene thinking, "I wonder how much of a chance Chris Evans would have against GSP in real life?".

I seem to remember either Hemsworth or Henry Cavill talking about their physique for these films and basically all the training and dieting was exclusively geared towards making them look like the Norse god of thunder and very little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I read no review of this move before I watched it last night my only clue as to what it was all about was my memory of the god awful movie I watched a fortnight earlier...it's predecessor of course. I actually skipped the 3rd quarter of that movie just to get it over with quickly. I only recently got a new hdtv and it looked truly terrible on it due to the deliberate dull blue/grey cast present throughout the movie. Well someone must have complained about that and was listened to because this move looks absolutely fantastic from the very opening scene set in Washington. The buildings, the views from the offices, the offices, the decor, the design of the ships etc etc. Stunning.

Memorable moments for me was the scene where Fury was attacked in his Jeep/machine - I thought that was a truly original scene that grabbed my attention and likewise the scene in the elevator where CA gets attacked for the first time.

I don't know if I was jaw-drooped by this movie because it was so good in itself or because it was so monumentally better than its predecessor !

...oh and by the way Redford was fantastic !

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mazer_

I think I'm going to be the only one with this opinion, but I actually much preferred the first Captain America movie to this one. Winter Soldier didn't really feel like a superhero movie to me as much as a modern political thriller, with a superhero walking around in it. And the way they shoved Falcon in to try and raise the quota of actual comic book characters was pretty poor too. They needed to break his jetpack out of a military installation, entirely for the purpose of scaring that ratty guy into talking? Weird.

It wasn't a terrible movie by any stretch, but the WW2 setting of the first movie was just inherently more interesting to me.

Mazer_ wrote: »
    I think I'm going to be the only one with this opinion, but I actually much preferred the first Captain America movie to this one. Winter Soldier didn't really feel like a superhero movie to me as much as a modern political thriller, with a superhero walking around in it. And the way they shoved Falcon in to try and raise the quota of actual comic book characters was pretty poor too. They needed to break his jetpack out of a military installation, entirely for the purpose of scaring that ratty guy into talking? Weird.

It wasn't a terrible movie by any stretch, but the WW2 setting of the first movie was just inherently more interesting to me.

If I were to criticize I'd agree with you on the Falcon point. I felt he was fairly redundant in the movie and when he got his wings out I felt I was watching x-men.

• Advertisement

Winter Soldier didn't really feel like a superhero movie to me as much as a modern political thriller, with a superhero walking around in it.

Marvel have already released 10 movies in the last 6 years, and plan at least 10 more. If all of them are just retreads on the superhero origin/return of the badguy/giant CGI fistfight, it'll get old really fast.

Captain America has avoided this by doing a WWII movie (with a lot of the actual WWII action skipped over in a montage) and a spy/paranoia thriller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't really like the first movie either, I wanted to like it but I just couldn't.

This one surprised me by not only being really entertaining but overall a pretty good movie. Will be looking forward to the next installment now.

Can't believe Frank Grillo (crossbones) is in his fifties, that's insane.

I didn't really like the first movie either, I wanted to like it but I just couldn't.

This one surprised me by not only being really entertaining but overall a pretty good movie. Will be looking forward to the next installment now.

Can't believe Frank Grillo (crossbones) is in his fifties, that's insane.

No idea who he is but did notice he's EXTREMELY FIT ! :D
    ..that would explain the looks for his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Winter Soldier didn't really feel like a superhero movie to me as much as a modern political thriller, with a superhero walking around in it.

While a stand alone film in itself it should also be noted that this film played a pivotal role in the franchise overall for a number of reasons;

1) Essentially this created a starting point for the TV show Agents of Shield which looking back at the first season created a jump off point to actually kick off the show

2) Set up for the development of Stark industries as a focal point for the Avengers rather than SHIELD which will play an important role come Avengers 2 and the back story of the creation of Ultron no doubt (along with the foreshadowing within IM3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

As someone who does not hold the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the same regard as many film geeks do today, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a solidly enjoyable action flick, if a bit overstretched in length.

I hadn't seen the first Captain America (and was underwhelmed by The Avengers when I watched it years after its theatrical release and accompanying hype), but The Winter Soldier packed in enough high-quality fight scenes merit a recommendation.

The opening boat scene was up there with the best Bonds in terms of hitting the ground running. As ludicrous as Steve Rogers's acrobatic and endurance skills (which include dropping from extraordinary heights with nary a scratch) are, they make for good eye-candy.

The direction in general was quite impressive, with an unusual restraint in editing during certain moments (one of the downsides of Millennials's short attention spans is the need for an edit every half-second).

The Winter Soldier himself was a great villain, although revealing his identity may have been a misstep. It added to the films already bloated length, and lessened his menace.

Many tropes, of course – the red herring electronic device which is the source of all fighting (for other examples see The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall) - but that's to be expected.

Overall, a nice set up. Now, to see if watching it so close to Avengers: Age of Ultron will have been beneficial.

Advertisement