Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birch Plywood Alternatives

Options
  • 22-03-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am building a poker table and I a thinking about using birch plywood for it. I got a quote from a supplier and it seemed quite expensive. Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives that would be similar in stregth and suitable for my project. My design is similar to the image below to give you an idea.

P1010087.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Your image is not displaying

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomsp

Your image is not displaying

http://pjnt.awardspace.com/poker%20table/Day_04.htm
    Click on the link above and you will see a picture of the completed model.

Wil you be applying veneer or laminate to the poker tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomsp

Wil you be applying veneer or laminate to the poker tables?

No I was hoping to get plywood with a vaneer already on it and then apply a couple of coats of wood stain to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

tomsp wrote: »
    No I was hoping to get plywood with a vaneer already on it and then apply a couple of coats of wood stain to finish it off.

:confused:Its hard enough to find quality birch plywood and impossible to find it with a veneer.
    No matter what sheet goods you use , you will need to cover the edges with solid wood.?
    I would go with blockboard which my local Chadwicks has for about 50 euro a sheet.It has the right 'stiffness' ( bettter than plywood ) and you could double it up to get a 40mm thickness on the table top.Don't be tempted to use MDF which will almost certainly warp under pressure.

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »

:confused:Its hard enough to find quality birch plywood and impossible to find it with a veneer.
    No matter what sheet goods you use , you will need to cover the edges with solid wood.?
    I would go with blockboard which my local Chadwicks has for about 50 euro a sheet.It has the right 'stiffness' ( bettter than plywood ) and you could double it up to get a 40mm thickness on the table top.Don't be tempted to use MDF which will almost certainly warp under pressure.

What would the MDF warp? I can't see what pressure it would be under in a poker table. I have used MDF to make all sorts if units, counter etc. and the only time it will warp is Ilya shelf that is too long and will bow with weight on it.

What would the MDF warp? I can't see what pressure it would be under in a poker table. I have used MDF to make all sorts if units, counter etc. and the only time it will warp is Ilya shelf that is too long and will bow with weight on it.

:D Pressure from elbows ? Seriously, every shelf ( in my shed ) I ever made from MDF has a nice bow to it. I would only build a maximum span of 16" or so if used for heavy weights or books etc.I wouldn't use it in fine furniture projects.

:D Pressure from elbows ? Seriously, every shelf ( in my shed ) I ever made from MDF has a nice bow to it. I would only build a maximum span of 16" or so if used for heavy weights or books etc.I wouldn't use it in fine furniture projects.

If there is any bit damp in your shed it will bow but if you make a frame u underneath it and screw the MDF to that it won't warp. I have that done in my wooden shed and it has never warped and it holds a big weight worth of tools! Also I would be at a minimum be using 15mm MDF but preferably use 18mm

tomsp wrote: »

You won't get plywood with a veneer on unless your using birch plywood. Any other type of plywood sold in Ireland is not suitable for building furniture out of.

What you ideally need to used is 18mm veneered MDF and apply a solid wood edge to it or use iron on veneer that is heat activated with an iron.

You won't get plywood with a veneer on unless your using birch plywood. Any other type of plywood sold in Ireland is not suitable for building furniture out of.

What you ideally need to used is 18mm veneered MDF and apply a solid wood edge to it or use iron on veneer that is heat activated with an iron.

if anybody has seen veneered birch plywood please let us know.
    I once bought a few sheets of 2.5 mm plywood out of curiosity and when glued together made very strong 18 mm 'birch plywood' which I made stair threads from.My local shop also has 3-4 mm veneered ply ( it varies with the species ) which could be used as the top of a furniture project, as long as the edges are hidden.

• Advertisement

if anybody has seen veneered birch plywood please let us know.
    I once bought a few sheets of 2.5 mm plywood out of curiosity and when glued together made very strong 18 mm 'birch plywood' which I made stair threads from.My local shop also has 3-4 mm veneered ply ( it varies with the species ) which could be used as the top of a furniture project, as long as the edges are hidden.

I bought sheets if birch plywood in JP Corry in Oranmore before. I think they were about €60 a sheet

I bought sheets if birch plywood in JP Corry in Oranmore before. I think they were about €60 a sheet

Thanks. can you remember what thickness ?

Thanks. can you remember what thickness ?

Oh ya sorry they were 18mm sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Turbo Turtle

Have you tried Strahan timber. Sheet of 12mm birch ply is around €30 so 25mm prob run you double it. Got some awhile back off them and its could quality. However looking st your design since most is getting covered by felt why spend so much on it. The surrounds could be easily made from pine board or by gluing up some smaller pieces

Advertisement