Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rawhide bones

• 23-03-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,

Just wondering how often is it ok to give a dog a rawhide bone?
    My dog loves having a chew off her stagbar every night but at weekends I give her a small rawhide bone as a treat which she adores!

Is once a week ok to give her a rawhide? I'm terrified it will lodge in her tummy.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do you mean the rawhide with a knot at either end to make it bone shaped? Be careful... Those knots are the risky bit, as they can slide down undigested and cause choking or a blockage. I know a couple of dogs this has happened to with these chews.
    Also, be really careful that you specifically get your rawhide from a named species, eg beef rawhide. If it just says "rawhide" on it, there's a pretty good chance it has come from a horribly unethical source, and is not from a usual meat animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

DBB wrote: »
    Do you mean the rawhide with a knot at either end to make it bone shaped? Be careful... Those knots are the risky bit, as they can slide down undigested and cause choking or a blockage. I know a couple of dogs this has happened to with these chews.
    Also, be really careful that you specifically get your rawhide from a named species, eg beef rawhide. If it just says "rawhide" on it, there's a pretty good chance it has come from a horribly unethical source, and is not from a usual meat animal.

Yeah, it's the knotted ones I usually get!
    Yikes!! I will have to read the packaging more carefully!

Could you recommend something that would be safer?

Thank you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I know! A huge amount of generic "rawhide" comes from the Phillipines and other eastern nations with deplorable, simply deplorable animal welfare standards that make Ireland look very pink and fluffy on the welfare stakes.
    Zooplus do a pretty impressive range of dried named-meat products, tripe sticks are a good bet, though don't last as long as rawhide. Pizzles and oxtails are great as they last a little longer. Neck sinews and the like will last longer, but I'm always worried about these harder products which become slippery when the dog chews them.
    I'm sure others will post to advise on other meaty treats they've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Zooplus have a fab array of natural treats. If you're looking for something really long lasting try these cow hooves:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/beef_hooves/216868

They look a bit off putting but they last my setters for hours, much longer than rawhide. They usually get two good evenings worth of chewing out of them. I must warn you, there is a funny farmyard smell off them which seems to be saliva activated. Make sure the room is well ventilated and perhaps light a scented candle. :o

Cows ears are good too, but my two get through one in 20 mins or less, so they're not as good value. Beef scalp is also good - it's very similar to rawhide but isn't rolled or shaped and seems to be quite a bit thicker.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/head_neck/223176

If you're going to feed rawhide you need to pick a really high quality one. As DBB said, the cheap ones are often produced under terrible conditions and can contain harmful chemicals. Many of them aren't even made from cow hide, they could be from any animal.

The only brand I've come across that appears to be good quality are Bravo. Petstop and Maxizoo both sell them. They cost a lot more than the cheaper versions, but they're made in Argentina from cow hide and are apparently chemical free. Look for the large "retriever rolls" - they don't have any knots and are safer that the bone shaped ones. IIRC, they cost around €7 -€8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

This time of year is great for lamb ribs from the butcher, mine will always give me a few for free, good bit of chewing on them, my two love them and the are soft too, last half hour or so. I usually give in the morning with some bits of raw meat and don't feed any dry food that day.
    If you have a bigger dog try beef ribs, bit bigger and last longer.
    I also have Nylabones or astrobones, my two aren't big chewers but one likes those sometimes for a nibble. I never give rawhide as a teenager my Boxer x Lab nearly choked on one when the end came off and I had to shove my hand down his throat to pull it out, by that time he was down and unable to breath, very scary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement