Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New storage heater - now panicking about using!

Options
  • 23-03-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

Can you help me with something?

We've just renovated a shed as a utility room. My wife asked the electrician to install a storage heater. It's 1.7k. I've used the Appliance Calculator and it seems to use about 600 units per bill. Is this right?

The advice on night saver seems to be get if 3 units per day? This would seem to imply I should get night meter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi dublinmusic,

Generally, it's best to use night storage heaters on a Nightsaver tariff, as they can be costly to run. How much a specific storage heater uses in a 24hr period will depend on the settings at which it's at (i.e. at lower heat settings it's unlikely to be operating at the full 1.7kW output), but 600 units per bill should be a reliable approximation. 

I would recommend in your case that you have a Nightsaver meter installed, as the the storage heater would likely use between 7-9 units per day (though this depends for how long it's switched on). When a Nightsaver meter is installed, generally the storage heaters would 'sync' with the meter's timeswitch and only come on during the cheaper nightrate hours (12am to 9am in summertime, and 11pm to 8am in wintertime). Other things to be aware of: the increased standing charge/day rate, and the charge to remove the meter and revert to a normal 24hr tariff; see here for further information. 

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Feel free to send us a PM too (see my signature).

Thanks,

David

Advertisement