Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing protection?

• 23-03-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

This is mainly from a Clay Shooting point of view but Target Shooters are more than welcome to share their opinions and experiences.

I was thinking of getting the Deben Slim Electronic EarMuffs but I've read that they're a ball of ****e.

What hearing protection do you use and why?
    Do muffs get in the way of the stock?
    Do muffs get hot, sweaty ;) and uncomfortable on long shoots or hot days?

I don't really wanna spend more than €100 so the cens ear plugs and that are outta the question.

Any responses are appreciated. Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I'm using Peltor Tactical 6S. They are electronic, can be had on ebay for €60 ish, have been working great for years and the batteries last ages. They are nice and slim so don't contact the stock. There is a compromise though in terms of protection because they are thin. If I'm shooting DTL from an enclosed shelter or full bore rifle at the range I sometimes go for heavier Peltors. Also I've had them in an indoor range and you'd need to double up or get thicker Peltors with higher attenuation.
    But for 99% of clay shooting scenarios they are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I have gone back to using the in ear foam squishy plugs. The ear muff's ride up off the rifle stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

clivej wrote: »
    I have gone back to using the in ear foam squishy plugs. The ear muff's ride up off the rifle stock.

I find that my ears get really sore with those ones Clive. Then of late the ear-muff type ones have been giving me a headache. One day I'll get the CENS ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Thanks for all the replies guys. After reading clivej's review this morning I ordered the Impact Sport from ebay uk so hopefully they'll be here soon. They seem to be getting great reviews everywhere and seem the best in my price range. If I'm shooting in an enclosed environment I think I'll double up with in ear plugs. Cheers again lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

ive a pair of custom moulded plugs (not electronic though) and it was the best investment,no breaking in and very comfortable to a point that sometimes ive forgot to take them out,ive actually ordered another pair recently to fit my earphones

.243 wrote: »
    ive a pair of custom moulded plugs (not electronic though) and it was the best investment,no breaking in and very comfortable to a point that sometimes ive forgot to take them out,ive actually ordered another pair recently to fit my earphones

How much we're they and where did you order then from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

clivej wrote: »
    How much we're they and where did you order then from
    the first set i got was from a place on capel street,then i ended up havin to get a second set but i got them done while i was in the midland game fair,
    price was around 90 euro but the advantage of the uk ones i got were they keep your moulds for 3 years in case you lose them,that how i found out about getting the ones to suit my mp3 earphones
    the custom electronic versions (cens)are i think are around 350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

I got a pair of impact sport, pretty good for clay, quite slim, very comfortable and fold up well. Easy to hear people talk etc around u, but if u turn up the volume too much quite a lot of hiss, I would rather moulded earplugs, but a little too costly for me at present, u do need to get a set well fitted.

I think the impact sport are perfect for your budget , especially for clay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Baker.22 wrote: »
    I got a pair of impact sport, pretty good for clay, quite slim, very comfortable and fold up well. Easy to hear people talk etc around u, but if u turn up the volume too much quite a lot of hiss, I would rather moulded earplugs, but a little too costly for me at present, u do need to get a set well fitted.

I think the impact sport are perfect for your budget , especially for clay

Cheers man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 snatch73

ACS make a pair for shooters, they're called sonic valves, and are really good. a lot cheaper than the cens ones too.
    I have a pair myself, and they really are good. theres a link below,

http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/acs-customs-acs-custom-shooting--shooters-earplugs-sonic-valves.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 BaldSparrow

Hey all, Ive been clay shooting for the last 15 years and ive tried all the ear protection out there and to be honest the best is the moulded ear pieces. I got mine done at the Midland game fair and I wont go back to anything else. The standard ones work great. I got mine with sonic valves and when wearing them I can hear chatter fine but the shot is drouned out. They are perfect for all typer of head wear. The electronic CENS are a nice touch but are over priced and to be honest arent needed. Ive taken these onto rifle ranges and they still work perfectly at large caliber rifles. If you are looking for long lasting ear protection invest in the ear mouldes. You wont go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

snatch73 wrote: »
    ACS make a pair for shooters, they're called sonic valves, and are really good. a lot cheaper than the cens ones too.
    I have a pair myself, and they really are good. theres a link below,

http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/acs-customs-acs-custom-shooting--shooters-earplugs-sonic-valves.php
    definately interested in getting these sometime this yr, wheneve i can afford it :D, after moving house so bills are mounting ha ha

Advertisement