Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What broadband package do I need?

• 23-03-2013 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Looking at an application and the service provider say my upstream bandwidth should be at least 151Mbps.

I haven't got to grips with conversion rates ie Mbps V upload speeds of broadband providers.

What type of package should I be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

trad wrote: »
    Looking at an application and the service provider say my upstream bandwidth should be at least 151Mbps.

I haven't got to grips with conversion rates ie Mbps V upload speeds of broadband providers.

What type of package should I be looking for?

Moving into a data centre.

Somethings wrong there, can you link to the application? The best package you can get outside commercial lines that cost a few grand a month is 150Mbps Down 15Mbps Up with UPC. To have 150Mbps up you would have to get a 1500Mbps package(or 1.5Gbps) which is something that is fit for a full office block of users.

Are you sure the requirement isnt 151kBps upstream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I'll get back to the service provider on Monday for clarification. It's using stramzilla for live video streaming.

I was wondering why I couldn't figure it out. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Their site isnt very clear, its more of a service though than a client it seems, so it'll depend on what you want to output.

From xSplit:
    Usually Quality that is set to about 7 to 8 will produce a good quality stream and will not suck you dry of bandwidth. VBV Max Bitrate should be set to match your available upload bandwidth while matching the resolution - see this table: 480p: 500-1000kbps 720p: 1500-3000kbps 1080p: 3000-5000kbps Remember that your viewers will have to be able to download the rate you choose*, so don't set it too high. (We recommend using the bandwidth tester to help you figure this out). Setting a high Quality without providing enough bitrate to accommodate this will not provide the desired results - for example, setting quality to 10, resolution to 720p and a VBV Max Bitrate to 200 kbps will be nonsense.

So for full HD thats up to 5Mbps up. Residential internet is provided at 10:1 so you need UPC 50Mb minimum. I'd suggest going for a bit more to have headroom and getting 100Mb(Thus 10Mb up).

If you can only get DSL you'll be limited to SD content at best, probably not doing it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The problem is there will be a lot more than one camera.

I'll get back to them and clarify if that is the combined up load or is it broken down into individual streams per connection.
    They are a Dutch company so maybe he misunderstood my question.
    Again thanks

Advertisement