Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsettled 4 month old

Options
  • 23-03-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone come across this before. My baby is 4 months old now and I thought she had colic but now I am not so sure. I breast fed for a while and now she is on Aptamil comfort. While bottle feeding she would often cry during the feed (a battle to get bottle into her). Then after a feed cry a lot, go red, legs and arms go like mad. This can happen at any time in the day.
    She is also very stuffed up in the nose (snuffly). No diarrhoea - loose stools every 2 days. She gets in a real state.!!!
    Have tried infant gaviscon, colief, gripe water, cure for colic.
    She has no bother getting wind up, it is like she has stomach cramps.
    I have looked on the internet and have seen info about cow milk intolerance and lactose intolerance. But the symptoms for both seem the same.
    Someone mentioned she may be teething so she is also getting teetha and nurofen.
    Any ideas what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

cb7 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone come across this before. My baby is 4 months old now and I thought she had colic but now I am not so sure. I breast fed for a while and now she is on Aptamil comfort. While bottle feeding she would often cry during the feed (a battle to get bottle into her). Then after a feed cry a lot, go red, legs and arms go like mad. This can happen at any time in the day.
    She is also very stuffed up in the nose (snuffly). No diarrhoea - loose stools every 2 days. She gets in a real state.!!!
    Have tried infant gaviscon, colief, gripe water, cure for colic.
    She has no bother getting wind up, it is like she has stomach cramps.
    I have looked on the internet and have seen info about cow milk intolerance and lactose intolerance. But the symptoms for both seem the same.
    Someone mentioned she may be teething so she is also getting teetha and nurofen.
    Any ideas what it could be?

Hi, just read your post and it sounded like me describing my son.

It sounds like lactose intolerance to me. My baby used to scream during feed, turn away from the bottle. It was a struggle to get every bottle into him. He would scream and cry with stomach cramps after feeding. Had explosive loose stools. Kept his back rigid and pulling legs up and kicking. Since birth he has been snuffly and congested.

We ended up taking him to A+E at 7weeks old and they booked him in to see paediatrician. I insisted they done a stool sample and brought a fresh nappy with me. It has to be less than an hour old.

He was diagnosed as lactose intolerant 4 hours later when test results came back. He has been on nutramigen ever since and is now almost 7 months old and we never looked back.

I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is when you know your baby is in pain but no one listens. Any questions just pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Thanks for that. Is that formula one you need a prescription for?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

cb7 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is that formula one you need a prescription for?

I got a prescription for it from my doctor but I think you might be able to buy it over the counter in the chemists too. Ring your local pharmacy and ask. I usually find chemists very helpful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It sounds ot me like a milk issue.
    Go talk to the phn or Gp.
    Nutramigen formula is definately worth a try.

You can buy it over the counter but it is worth getting a prescription to get it under the drugs payment scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

On the nutramigen now, day 4 on it. Not seeing any improvements yet but think it takes a few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement